outdoor stuff in colorado

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

outdoor stuff in colorado

Post by sandy_3126 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:47 am

Hunting, Hiking, Camping, Fishing !!!!! couldnt have had a better section for this post.

Last week I relocated from Southern california to southern colorado! From spending a week here i have realised that this is a paradise for outdoor life, which I think I will enjoy (goes otherwise for my wife).

Fishing:
I am a bengali, and my affinity to fish is almost genetic. I would like to get started with fishing, so all tips and resources are welcome. please suggest if there are any good websites or books that I could use to start. I found the "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fishing Basics (2nd Edition)". last time I went fishing, I was 14 years old with a bamboo rod called "cheep" in bengali in a pukur (pond in bengali), so I am sure there will be a lot to learn, and I am thoroughly looking forward for it. I do intend to learn to fly fishing.

Hunting:
I have been hunting a couple of times, I did not take any game on both occasions, but did get to manage sights on a mule dear which was taken by a friend. The meat wasn't very exciting but the experience was. For me hunting more or less is roaming the forests with a gun slinging on the shoulder. I hope I can change that this time around. Please do share your tips if any. I dont like bird hunting, and am not very keen on small game. Predator hunting is something that does excite me but I dont have any experience of it, hopefully I will get there someday.

4WD trails:
Colorado offers some of the best 4WD trails, and i am looking forward to get on a few starting next month, please do share your experiences if any.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: outdoor stuff in colorado

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:14 am

What you need is a mentor who can take you along. Find yourself a mentor who truly understands the essence of being outdoors, rather than someone who is only in it for the bragging rights.

Don't expect any quick fix solutions. The journey will be slow but done right is reward in itself.

Get yourself a book called, A Man Made Of Elk by David Petersen. It does not deal with firearms hunting or fishing but it contains an outdoor philosophy that will change any pre-conceived ideas you may have on the subject and will set you on what I believe to be the right path.

Don't forget to read http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx They do offer courses for beginners. Be sure to take them if you cannot find yourself a good mentor.

Enjoy the journey.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 am

Hunting:
I have been hunting a couple of times, I did not take any game on both occasions, but did get to manage sights on a mule dear which was taken by a friend. The meat wasn't very exciting but the experience was. For me hunting more or less is roaming the forests with a gun slinging on the shoulder. I hope I can change that this time around. Please do share your tips if any. I dont like bird hunting, and am not very keen on small game. Predator hunting is something that does excite me but I dont have any experience of it, hopefully I will get there someday.
Turn the whole statement upside down, That's Hunting, well at least for me. You get a game or not, who care, there is nature you go to meet and be able to live among that. A minute of it or day, that's hunting. No Offense
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:50 am

Turn the whole statement upside down, That's Hunting, well at least for me. You get a game or not, who care, there is nature you go to meet and be able to live among that. A minute of it or day, that's hunting. No Offense
Those of us who are not trophy hunters think that way. I have some great memories of perfect days spent in the woods alone.
The lack of a kill doesn't make it any less special. Before anyone starts yelling, I don't have anything against trophy hunting.

Sandy,
Look for some Colorado hunting and fishing forums. Start participating in them and feel out a few people in your area and then get to know them.
Most hunters and fishermen live to teach a new guy about something that is so dear to their heart.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Sandy, having lived in Denver, I can tell you Colorado has some amazing trout fishing spots. Do some web search for your area and I'm sure you'll find something close to you. I used powerbait trout nuggets.

Cheers and good luck...
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:07 pm

If lack of kill can make a good hunt then I'vs had the most good hunts in the world. ;)
Happens to all of us.
I still go on.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.