Leopard attack survival story from Africa

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Leopard attack survival story from Africa

Post by Sakobav » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 am

What happens to experienced PH when tracking an injured Leapord..some graphic photos
http://survival.outdoorlife.com/photos/ ... #node-4412

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Leopard attack survival story from Africa

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:25 am

The leopard is the fastest big cat in the Indian subcontinent. Faster than a tiger. Reaching speeds up to 70 kmph.
In Africa it is second only to the Cheetah. But much more powerful than the Cheetah. It's powerful shoulder muscles help it to easily carry a kill twice it's own body weight up a tree.
A few months back a friend of mine who lives near Mussoorie had a "Himalayan Sheep Dog" lifted from his house by a leopard. The big cat killed the dog in the cover of darkness. Picked it up and scaled a ten foot boundary wall. The dog was probably the same weight as the leopard. My PH in Africa told me "For every second a Leopard is on you....................You need an average 200 stiches."
This gentleman was really lucky to come out of this alive.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

prashantsingh wrote: The leopard is the fastest big cat in the Indian subcontinent. Faster than a tiger. Reaching speeds up to 70 kmph.
In Africa it is second only to the Cheetah. But much more powerful than the Cheetah. It's powerful shoulder muscles help it to easily carry a kill twice it's own body weight up a tree.
A few months back a friend of mine who lives near Mussoorie had a "Himalayan Sheep Dog" lifted from his house by a leopard. The big cat killed the dog in the cover of darkness. Picked it up and scaled a ten foot boundary wall. The dog was probably the same weight as the leopard. My PH in Africa told me "For every second a Leopard is on you....................You need an average 200 stiches."
This gentleman was really lucky to come out of this alive.
> Leopards have very strong neck muscles connected to their upper back that enable them to carry animals like a Goat, Deer easily up a tree even upto a height of 25 to 30 feet.
> While on a shoot many many years ago,when hunting was legal, in the jungles bordering the village Khandera (Bhopal) our group came across a Leopard attack survivor. He & his friends were in the jungle on one late afternoon to collect Tendu Leaves that are used for wrapping Beedies. All of a sudden a Leopard pounced upon him from the front - the poor fellow dropped the bundle of leaves he had collected and caught the animal by its throat & kept pushing it away from his face & throat. But the leopard as is known to do pawed his belly with its hind leg claws & the bleeding fellow was almost 'Gutted' - kept screaming loudly. Fortunately for him his friends who were near by came to his rescue shouting, throwing stones & some even daring enough to beat the leopard with lathis.

It was sheer miracle that the Leopard left its grip on the guy and bolted away. The injured chap was taken to the local municipal hospital. Althgough shocked beyond all senses & having lost a lot of blood this man survived to tell his tale & show his belly that was crudely patched up by the local surgeon. The stitches lookes as though the figure if a 'Scorpion' was etched on his belly!!!!

A year later my friend bagged a Leopard in the same vicinity- some of us wondered if it was the same animal that had almost taken the villager last year. BTW this Leopard's head mounted by Van Ingen of Mysore still adorns the living room wall of my friend in Mumbai.

> All said and done there is no cat amongst the carnivores that can match "The grace, speed, cunning & strength of this feline "THE LEOPARD"!!!!
Briha

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 am

great information folks I was looking at Nation Geo documentary which claims only 50,000 of these great cats are left in wild. Prashant I thought leopards avoid big dogs typically..also dont understand the chap in the clip and even my uncle shot one eons ago with a 12 guage? Why would some one go under gunned on such a ferocious animal.
Last year a friend who owns farms next to HP in Punjab tracked one for two days in a forest near his farm. They are very shy

Best

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 am

Many thanks for sharing this tremendous story of courage and human endurance ngrewal.

My respect for the Leopard as an incredibly, ferocious big cat has gone up several notches. :shock:
Last edited by ckkalyan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

''the hunter gets hunted''. any cat when wounded are dangerous.we saw a similiar thing,when a lioness was shot and wounded.
you maybe a PH,but you always need a backup gun,when you go for a hunt like this.imagine the PH plight if not for a back up.
leopards are elusive animals and they love dogs.have heard lot of stories about dogs being taken by leopards.speed,stealth,aggression,and medium build all suits him to be a great hunter and surviver in worst terrain,worst of all they scavenge too.
regards
dr.jk

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Made a great read,Navi. Thanks for posting.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Very nice story!! Thank's for sharing

Baljit