Birds in Our Backyards

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Birds in Our Backyards

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm

We live in congested, high-rise infested, polluted Bombay. But thankfully, our apartment overlooks this incredible patch of land, that is open. With some very interesting trees that are home to interesting birds, butterflies, and squirrels. Over the last few months, I have been taking pictures of some of the avian visitors and it has been a very gratifying experience.

I am sharing some of the pictures with you.These are of birds that are in Bombay. Some of the information that accompanies the pictures is taken from reference books and sites, since I am a novice at birdwatching....but all the pictures are mine. Hope you enjoy this thread.

THE BLACK KITE

From Wikipedia ....'The Black Kite (Milvus migrans) is a medium-sized bird of prey. It is thought to be the world's most abundant species of acciptrid, although some populations have experienced dramatic declines or fluctuations. Unlike others of the group, Black Kites are opportunistic hunters and are more likely to scavenge. They spend a lot of time soaring and gliding in thermals in search of food. Their angled wing and distinctive forked tail make them easy to identify'

This bird is clearly the king of the back yard. It swoops down and gets its prey with alarming regularity and there is something extremely efficient in the way it dispatches bandicoots. I love the regal frame and the majestic carriage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by slingshot on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no downside to Freedom!

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Birds in my Backyard

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey Slingshot,
> Having been a member of the Bombay Natural History Society I have in the past gone on several 'Bird Watching' trips in and around Mumbai. Even had the privilege of being in a group led by the great Ornithologist Dr. Salim Ali.
> Well - that was years ago.
> Your pics of the 'Black Kite' are excellent.
> Although you live a High-Rise Concrete Jungle you're fortunate to have these 'avians' sharing space with you.
> I too live on the 11th floor of an highrise - but am fortunate to live in an area that still boasts of huge rain trees.
> With the advent of monsoon it is a thrill to listen to the KOEL's call at sunrise :D
> BTW - I once saw while out in the wilderness of the Karnala Bird Sanctuary - a Perigrine Falcon catch a Green Wood Pigeon (locally called 'Harud') in mid-air. What a sight it was!
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Briha Sir...you are amazing. I never knew that you were a member of BHNS. I think I shall visit them for a membership soon :). I have recently become very interested in bird watching and have invested in the books by Dr. Salim Ali. It must have been a wonderful experience to have been coached by him. There is something magical about birds :)

I have never captured a Peregrine Falcon in my camera as yet. Maybe someday. But on a recent visit to the Sahyadris, I managed to get some very good pictures of the Yellow Footed Green Pigeon. They are very shy birds and I had to really strain the zoom to get them....but it was worth it :)

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:48 pm

ASIAN KOEL

Now that Briha Sir has reminded me of the Koel...here are some pictures of the Asian Koel.

Wikipedia " The Asian Koel is a large, long-tailed, cuckoo measuring 39–46 cm (15–18 in) and weighing 190–327 g (6.7–11.5 oz). The male of the nominate race is glossy bluish-black, with a pale greenish grey bill, the iris is crimson, and it has grey legs and feet. The female of the nominate race is brownish on the crown and has rufous streaks on the head. The back, rump and wing coverts are dark brown with white and buff spots. The underparts are whitish, but is heavily striped. The other subspecies differ in colouration and size. The upper plumage of young birds is more like that of the male and they have a black beak. They are very vocal during the breeding season (March to August in South Asia), with a range of different calls. The familiar song of the male is a repeated koo-Ooo. The female makes a shrill kik-kik-kik... call.

The Asian Koel is a brood parasite, and lays its single egg in the nests of a variety of birds, including the Jungle Crow and House Crow. In Bangladesh they parasitise Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach), Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis) and House Crows (Corvus splendens) . Host nests at low heights and nearer to fruit trees tended to preferred by koels. Males may distract the hosts so that the female gets a chance to lay an egg in the nest. More often however, the female visits the nest of the host alone."

These guys are always engaging in a symphony :) And dont miss the blood red eyes :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Slingshot,

Very good pictures and welcome to the world of bird watching.

The title of your thread prompted me to respond.

Until we lost the 25x25yds space (used to be our range but only for paper punching) behind our flat to concretisation and a car park, the area was frequented by a lot of birds like wagtails, bee eaters, greater coucal, parakeets, drongos and also a mongoose and snakes like rat snake and a cobra. The snakes were killed, the kingfisher has stopped passing by and have'nt seen the mongoose for more than a year. Luckily the sparrows are still there, so are the squirrels and the crows have grown in numbers. Have even spotted a hoopooe bird once.

The Barnowls also do quick work of the bandicoots too. I think that is why they are thriving in the city.

I was a member of the BNHS too.

Guess all us gun lovers are the same. Most of us are into shooting, photography, wildlife and birding.

Here is a good book for your identification, if you have not got it already.....

http://www.flipkart.com/birds-indian-su ... ame_book_1

My pic of the kingfisher in our backyard....

M.
slingshot wrote:We live in congested, high-rise infested, polluted Bombay. But thankfully, our apartment overlooks this incredible patch of land, that is open. With some very interesting trees that are home to interesting birds, butterflies, and squirrels. Over the last few months, I have been taking pictures of some of the avian visitors and it has been a very gratifying experience................
............This bird is clearly the king of the back yard. It swoops down and gets its prey with alarming regularity and there is something extremely efficient in the way it dispatches bandicoots. I love the regal frame and the majestic carriage.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Fantumfan, you are absolutely right. Most of us are into shooting, birdwatching, photography, conservation....and knives :)

That is a gorgeous picture of the White Breasted Kingfisher. The chap seems to be intent on creating mischief :)....I have a couple of Kingfishers that frequent the empty plot behind the apartment and I will share their pictures too.

The reason I started this thread is that we tend to believe that there arent enough interesting things happening in our lives....but all one has to do is just look out of the window. Even a congested city like Mumbai has so much to offer.

I wish all the bird lovers in the forum, add to this thread :)

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Birds in Our Backyards

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

I have just changed the subject from 'Birds in my backyard' to Birds in Our Backyards' ....lets see the birds in all our backyards :)...Please post pictures and your notes on the birds :)

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Purple Humming Bird. A rather elusive bird till last year. This couple finally decided to make their nest in one corner of my house. The female is presently incubating her eggs. She let me come close to her and has started to tolerate my presence.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Fantastic, just maintain your distance please....

M.
prashantsingh wrote:Purple Humming Bird. A rather elusive bird till last year. This couple finally decided to make their nest in one corner of my house. The female is presently incubating her eggs. She let me come close to her and has started to tolerate my presence.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:22 pm

prashantsingh wrote:Purple Humming Bird. A rather elusive bird till last year. This couple finally decided to make their nest in one corner of my house. The female is presently incubating her eggs. She let me come close to her and has started to tolerate my presence.
Love the nest Prashant :) ...And they are such dainty birds.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Slighshot et al,

Nice photos all!Thank you for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:29 pm

slingshot wrote:Fantumfan, you are absolutely right. Most of us are into shooting, birdwatching, photography, conservation....and knives :)
That is a gorgeous picture of the White Breasted Kingfisher. The chap seems to be intent on creating mischief :)....I have a couple of Kingfishers that frequent the empty plot behind the apartment and I will share their pictures too.
The reason I started this thread is that we tend to believe that there aren't enough interesting things happening in our lives....but all one has to do is just look out of the window. Even a congested city like Mumbai has so much to offer.
I wish all the bird lovers in the forum, add to this thread :)
Hi Slingshot / Fantumfan,
> you are absolutely right. Most of us are into shooting, birdwatching, photography, conservation....and knives :)
> Can't but agree more - The activities & interest are so inter-connected :D
> Had my pictures on wildlife featured in Sanctuary magazine & an exhibition in Kodak Gallery in D.N Rd. Mumbai!
> Still possess an OM1 with 21mm / 28mm / 50mm / 35-70mm / 75-150mm / 50-250mm macro / 90mm macro / 300mm + 2x Multipiler / Right-angle viewer + Motor-drive shoots 5 frames a sec. + 3 dedicated speed flashes all original Olympus :D
still languishing in my cupboard :roll:
> Sets of Hoya & Cokin filters
> BTW - This is an interesting dialogue I had one morning with a 'Honeysuckle' bird that was perched on a tree just outside my balcony (this was when I was living in a one storyed bungalow which later got developed into a 15flr highrise)
> The bird was tweeting - Ti Ti-Ti TEE, just for the lark I whistled back the same tune - but did not quite match the little feller. The bird tweeted again a little louder- I repeated without much success - It was then the bird clucked Tuk Tuk Tuk as if to say - You got it wrong man & flew away :D
> Touched & amazed by the incident I tried to decode the bird's Tuk Tuk Tuk which probably was his way of telling me - "If you wanna tweet like me - "Better Grow Wings" ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Wow your pics featured in Sanctuary ? Fantastic.
But the OM1 with all those lenses in the cupboard is not done.
Film is still available so let us do a Nikon FM2 vs Olympus OM1 shoot with nature as the theme.
What say you Sir ?

M.
brihacharan wrote: > Had my pictures on wildlife featured in Sanctuary magazine & an exhibition in Kodak Gallery in D.N Rd. Mumbai!
> Still possess an OM1 with 21mm / 28mm / 50mm / 35-70mm / 75-150mm / 50-250mm macro / 90mm macro / 300mm + 2x Multipiler / Right-angle viewer + Motor-drive shoots 5 frames a sec. + 3 dedicated speed flashes all original Olympus :D
still languishing in my cupboard :roll:
> Sets of Hoya & Cokin filters

Darr ke aage jeet hai

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Two more.
Every morning I put some bajra for "my" birds. By evening it is over. The parrots , treepie , spotted dove and squirrels love it.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm

A wonderful thread for the time we live in!

Thank you slingshot. I also keep taking pictures. Will try to locate and upload over the weekend. Thanks Brihaji. Thanks Prashant.

Cheers

TC