Birds in Our Backyards

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Birds in Our Backyards

Post by tirpassion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Dear Briha ji,
Wouldn't want to call this phenomenon "BB" lest we old timers are reminded of another "BB" who bit us even harder during our growing up years (Bridget Bardot) :lol:
If I may...
She is Brigitte Bardot; 'Et le Dieu crea la femme' (And God created Woman') of Roger Vadim in 1956 :wink: . These days, she is fighting for animal rights and heads the 'Brigitte Bardot Foundation'. Not only your growing up days, she kept us also well inspired in our youth :lol: .

best regards
tirpassion

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Brihaji, these are the only (good, focussed) ones I have of the critters in my backyard. Damn silly of me, I know, when the backyard borders on a national park! The wildlife at home, comprising of junior & Rottie, keeps the memory card going!!

I do have others critter pics in different places, e.g. this seagull on the way back from Elephanta on a boat. This was taken with my old Canon A660 point-and-shoot, in March 2008 or so. I tried asking him if Jonathan Livingstone was a relative.........

I (somewhere) have a pic of a huge moth, almost 6" wingspan, which honoured us with a visit in our hotel bathroom in Darjeeling. Will try to find it & put it up. Also have pics of birds & flowers from J&K, Sikkim, etc.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Post by essdee1972
Brihaji, these are the only good& focused ones I have of the critters in my backyard. The wildlife at home, comprising of junior & Rottie, keeps the memory card going! :lol:

SD,
> Great shot of the Sea Gull in flight - which proves that 'it's not the camera, but the guy who shoots with it' :D
> Keep shooting :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Brihaji, I love seagulls, dunno why, but they look so cute, following ships around! I have loads of snaps of them, just remind me to get my lappie and hard drive when we meet up next.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Birds in our Backyard (of the city)
Happened to visit an area of Powai from the Renaissance Mumbai property. Was pleasantly surprised to spot, what were certainly, Purple Moorhens, my first sighting of the type. I think its a good (but bloody expensive) location for an IFG MUmbai meet along with a spotting session.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, I love seagulls, dunno why, but they look so cute, following ships around! I have loads of snaps of them, just remind me to get my lappie and hard drive when we meet up next.
I think they long for human company just like dolphins... Nice shot Essdee

TC

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 pm

brihacharan wrote:> Ha! The "Avian Bug" like the "Blade Bug" has bitten some of us real hard :lol:
> Boy! What a Combo - "Birds & Blades" :D
> Wouldn't want to call this phenomenon "BB" lest we old timers are reminded of another "BB" who bit us even harder during our growing up years (Bridget Bardot) :lol:
> Good Pics SD - Lets see more of them!
:cheers:
Briha
Ha ha Ha....I like this Avian Flu :) And Briha Sir, being bit by BB is untweetable ROTFL
There is no downside to Freedom!

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 pm

The Jacana

So the other day, this winged chap dropped in. Now, I have never seen this bird before. And its really strange to see it in the middle of Mumbai. But then, the variety of birds frequenting the space, is awesome...so nothing surprises me anymore :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, I love seagulls, dunno why, but they look so cute, following ships around! I have loads of snaps of them, just remind me to get my lappie and hard drive when we meet up next.
Great Shot Essdee :) Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, would be delighted in your company :D

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 pm

fantumfan2003 wrote:Birds in our Backyard (of the city)
Happened to visit an area of Powai from the Renaissance Mumbai property. Was pleasantly surprised to spot, what were certainly, Purple Moorhens, my first sighting of the type. I think its a good (but bloody expensive) location for an IFG MUmbai meet along with a spotting session.

M.
Fantumfan, great idea. I think it will be a fun picnic to go to the powai lake and watch birds :)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Fantumfan, Renaissance will surely be bloody expensive, but we can try the other side of the lake. Know any IIT prof?

We can try for a hike to Tulsi / Vihar lake, entering the National Park from the hill behind my place, or through Yeoor. Even Yeoor might be a good place to spot birds. What about Karnala after the first showers?
Cheers!

EssDee

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Slingshot,
> I would want you to consider this suggestion of mine seriously :D
> Looking at the enormous variety of birds that frequent 'your backyard' that too lodged & sandwiched between highrises, you should catalogue them and publish a booklet for posterity.
> Because I shudder to think that a decade from now what with land developers & builders playing havoc with open spaces - your documentation will get archived :D
> You are indeed a lucky fellow to have the Avians consider your backyard "Worth their Visit" :D
> Perhaps this might open the eyes of our fellow Citizens, NGOs & Govt. to mobilize their concern to preserve what is left from being destroyed or even obiliterated from this beautiful island city - Mumbai.
> Give it a thought :D
Briha

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 am

brihacharan wrote:Hi Slingshot,
> I would want you to consider this suggestion of mine seriously :D
> Looking at the enormous variety of birds that frequent 'your backyard' that too lodged & sandwiched between highrises, you should catalogue them and publish a booklet for posterity.
> Because I shudder to think that a decade from now what with land developers & builders playing havoc with open spaces - your documentation will get archived :D
> You are indeed a lucky fellow to have the Avians consider your backyard "Worth their Visit" :D
> Perhaps this might open the eyes of our fellow Citizens, NGOs & Govt. to mobilize their concern to preserve what is left from being destroyed or even obiliterated from this beautiful island city - Mumbai.
> Give it a thought :D
Briha
Briha Sir, thank you for the idea. Its a good idea. I think it has its merits. I am sure that every little pocket in Mumbai has its own set of avian visitors. Its just that a lot of us, including me, never really looked out of our windows. A little effort in this direction may go a long way. Let me see where this takes us.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 am

The Parakeets

These fellows love perching on the steel girders and generally surveying the landscape. They are fun to watch, with their ever present sense of fun and inquisitiveness. And of course the colours are gorgeous against the blue sky :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am

Slingshot wrote.....
Briha Sir, thank you for the idea. Its a good idea.
I think it has its merits. I am sure that every little pocket in Mumbai has its own set of avian visitors. Its just that a lot of us, including me, never really looked out of our windows. A little effort in this direction may go a long way. Let me see where this takes us.

Hi Slingshot,
> Ah! am glad that you see some merit in my suggestion :D
> You can even get a "Foreword" written by BNHS to give this brochure a bit of authenticity & muscle :D
> Just love the "Parakeets" on the wire - Reminds me of 'Sailors hanging on to the sail cords' of a ship looking for land ahead :D
Briha