Birds in Our Backyards

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Birds in Our Backyards

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm

slingshot wrote:The Rufous Backed Shrike

I noticed the Rufous Backed Shrike on Sunday. This chap is noisy and very inquisitive. And it has a gorgeous rust colour.
Hi Slingshot,
> Looks like now your camera + telephoto lens is always kept ready in your balcony to capture these wonderful avian species :D
> Come monsoons you'll have even greater opportunities to capture them - especially so when the rains cool down the earth & letting the moths & other insects out in the open - A virtual buffet for the birds :D
> Keep them coming :D
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

brihacharan wrote: Hi Slingshot,
> Looks like now your camera + telephoto lens is always kept ready in your balcony to capture these wonderful avian species :D
> Come monsoons you'll have even greater opportunities to capture them - especially so when the rains cool down the earth & letting the moths & other insects out in the open - A virtual buffet for the birds :D
Briha
Briha sir, I am really looking forward to the monsoons. Apart from the fact that I am in love with rain, the whole world seems a better place after a shower :)
There is no downside to Freedom!

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 am

Chief you are turning into the next Dr.Salim Ali. I too love bird watching. Some very pretty ones where I stay. :lol: :mrgreen:
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 am

Dear slingshot,

Thanks for this amazing post! Indeed, there are so many beautiful things all around us which we ignore because of the stress we have ourselves generated... Your post came as a whiff of fresh air, a breather, a pointer towards beauty in simplicity.

I have never come across anyone who is indifferent to flowers (does this species exist at all???) and yet, we hardly take time to appreciate them. For me, I started to look at flowers and appreciate them the day my little son (3&1/2 yrs then) plucked a yellow daisy from the municipal park meadow and gave it to me saying 'Baba eta tomar jonno' (father it is for you). In fact, he gave me an indirect lesson; open your eyes and look around you instead of just seeing; there are so much of simple beauty awaiting your attention...
I had the similar feeling when I saw the photos posted by you all.

Thanks again!

tirpassion

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 am

Nice thread keep it going

Cheers

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

[quote="tirpassion"]Dear slingshot,
For me, I started to look at flowers and appreciate them the day my little son (3&1/2 yrs then) plucked a yellow daisy from the municipal park meadow and gave it to me saying 'Baba eta tomar jonno' (father it is for you). In fact, he gave me an indirect lesson; open your eyes and look around you instead of just seeing; there are so much of simple beauty awaiting your attention...

Hi tirpassion,
> I am simply amazed at your little son's "Gesture" :D
> Secondly it was even more amazing that you had taught the little fellow "Tomar Matru Bhasha - BANGLA" :)
Cheers
Briha

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi tirpassion,
> Secondly it was even more amazing that you had taught the little fellow "Tomar Matru Bhasha - BANGLA" :)
Cheers
Briha
Thank you Sir!
Please pray for me as I am swimming against the current and fighting against all odds to keep my mother tongue alive in my family. I am the only one here to speak Bengali to them against 64 million who speak French :lol: . And the battle will surely be tougher when they reach adolescence :D .

My son manages to speak somewhat OK. He speaks better when in the real context, when in Kolkata. My daughter gave me a real tough time or rather tested the father's tenacity :lol: . She understands everything but she would just not speak until very recently since our recent visit to Kolkata. I have heaved a sigh of relief now that she has started to even surprise me sometimes with her sentence construction :D .

bets regards
tirpassion

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm

tirpassion wrote:
Hi tirpassion,
Cheers
Briha
Thank you Sir!
Please pray for me as I am swimming against the current and fighting against all odds to keep my mother tongue alive in my family. I am the only one here to speak Bengali to them against 64 million who speak French :lol: . And the battle will surely be tougher when they reach adolescence :D .

My son manages to speak somewhat OK. He speaks better when in the real context, when in Kolkata. My daughter gave me a real tough time or rather tested the father's tenacity :lol: . She understands everything but she would just not speak until very recently since our recent visit to Kolkata. I have heaved a sigh of relief now that she has started to even surprise me sometimes with her sentence construction :D .
best regards
tirpassion
Hi tirpassion,
> How cute of your little darlings :D
> My blessings to them & a small request - Hug them for Me :D
Briha

u_vaste
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by u_vaste » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey slingshot,
Thanks a very nice thread you have started and here are my few snaps you have name some of them.
here is our favorite "Popat"
Indian Myna

king fisher
kite

here is last, flying mammal "BAT" (watwaghul in local)

I hope you like them

UV

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

u_vaste wrote:Hey slingshot,
Thanks a very nice thread you have started and here are my few snaps you have name some of them.
here is our favorite "Popat"
[ Image ]
Indian Myna
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
king fisher
[ Image ]
kite
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

here is last, flying mammal "BAT" (watwaghul in local)
[ Image ]
I hope you like them
UV
Hi UV,
> Nice pics :D
> Looks like you have captured them from your balcony - What camera & lens did you use & aperture / shutter speed etc.
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Slingshot & all, amazing snaps!

Now I know why your superzoom camera was lying out in the open!!

Moin, unfeathered birds are not part of the discussion!! :mrgreen:

You guys have inspired me to put up the accidental photos I have (accidental because I never took any pains to snap them, they just came...). I stay on the borders of Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Mumbai (so close, in fact, that the stray dogs in our complex fall prey to leopards!!).

The ubiquitous pigeon. This one had nested in a bucket of expensive "soil" bought by the better half for her plants. The feathered family "fertilised" the soil so much, it's now almost useless for plants!! Note the baby under the mummy. This was one protective mom - used to take a swipe at me / the camera everytime!

The humble crow. One of the few occasions when I had the 75-200 lens fitted!

The blackbird. "One for sorrow, two for joy, three for letter, four for toy."

This fellow was sitting on my satellite TV dish

Saturday early morning (oh well, 10:00 a.m. is early on the weekend). Having the wakeup cuppa by the window. Suddenly see this beauty! What on earth is a kingfisher doing in Mulund, so far from the sea?

Some other winged visitors to my humble abode. Not in the backyard, but inside the home. Not feathered, but winged nevertheless. No ID, so if any of you can help.......

Moth

Another moth. Excuse the Rottweiler hairs on the floor!

Third one!!

Grasshopper.

I do have other "critter pics" but not in my backyard / home!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 am

tirpassion wrote:Dear slingshot,

Indeed, there are so many beautiful things all around us which we ignore because of the stress we have ourselves generated... Your post came as a whiff of fresh air, a breather, a pointer towards beauty in simplicity.

I have never come across anyone who is indifferent to flowers (does this species exist at all???) and yet, we hardly take time to appreciate them. For me, I started to look at flowers and appreciate them the day my little son (3&1/2 yrs then) plucked a yellow daisy from the municipal park meadow and gave it to me saying 'Baba eta tomar jonno' (father it is for you). In fact, he gave me an indirect lesson; open your eyes and look around you instead of just seeing; there are so much of simple beauty awaiting your attention...
I had the similar feeling when I saw the photos posted by you all.

Thanks again!

tirpassion
Thanks a lot Tirpassion. Your story is really moving. There is so much to appreciate, if only we slow down just a little. Thankfully our children show us the way :) My daughter is just as passionate about wildlife. Her goal in life (for some years) has been to be associated with the jungle animals when she grows up. There is so much I learn from her.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 am

Essdee, the camera is always ready :) I al really lucky to have that patch of land behind the apartment. God know for how long. I dread the day the builders will bring in the JCB's. Till then, its awesome. And great pictures too :)

UV, The pictures are stunning. Loved the Drongo. Keep them coming :)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am

> Ha! The "Avian Bug" like the "Blade Bug" has bitten some of us real hard :lol:
> Boy! What a Combo - "Birds & Blades" :D
> Wouldn't want to call this phenomenon "BB" lest we old timers are reminded of another "BB" who bit us even harder during our growing up years (Bridget Bardot) :lol:
> Good Pics SD - Lets see more of them!
:cheers:
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

This thread is so Refreshing.... thank you friends and keep them coming..

:cheers:

TC