wwf for nature

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

wwf for nature

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm

friends how many of you all are member of this esteemed selfless concern?and how many of you have taken part in any activity anything small or big; kindly narrate.
to start with i have been for tiger,elephant,leapord census and had been a part of anti poaching camp held in bandipur and mudumalai wildlife santuary and i continue to do almost every summer.
anything at all you did to save wildlife.
regards
dr.jk

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: wwf for nature

Post by shooter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I have donated.
I started the anti poaching signature collection for "save the tiger world conference". This was done on a personal level and also on ifg. Not surprisingly it was one of the least viewed and least active thread in the history of this website.
Going by the WWF directive, I try my level best to hunt as much as possible. I participate in the Tag lottery in the USA. I also buy hunting licenses.
I have participated in various culling programmes.
I am writing about conservation in my book.
I try to discourage people against buying a lot of property and houses. (in india)
I also try not to buy muck factory farmed commercial meat. Buying this leads to more demand which leads to creation of more pastures for breeding meat animals. These pastures are created by clearing forests and wildlife habitat.
I promote the protetion of umbrella species.
I try to educate and encourage people not to go for non sustainable wooden furnishings/fittings.
I also educate farmers about environmentally sustainable agriculture.

However "demand and supply" phenomenon is a very strong force. Misinformation, hypocricy and corruption are the three pillars of habitat destruction which in turn will lead to species eradication.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:33 pm

I am a member of WWF for a longtime. I do think that it is one of the most reasonable and sane organisations that take a practical approach to conservation. They do not support or advocate legalised/controlled hunting as a conservation+revenue model in India as they do in Africa. But, I will not hold it against them. I am a personal witness to a lot of good work they did and still are doing in AP.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:43 pm

> I have been a member of WWF for over 40 years.
> As a Corporate Communication Manager for a multinational company and a member of the Public Relation Society of India (Mumbai Chapter) I had colloborated in several awareness programs for preservation & protection of wildlife.
> In association with "Sanctuary Magazine" I have taken Mr. Bittu Shagal the well known conservationalist / author / publisher to several educational institutions for lecturing & audiovisual presentations to educate & stress the importance of wild life presevation.
> As a creative consultant for an 'ad' agency I have helped in producing communication collaterals such posters, brochures, leaflets for free distribution to educational institutions, business houses and communuity centres for propogating the importance of nature / wildlife conservation.
> Have contributed photographs to be published in Sancturay Magazine.
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I was a student member while in school and participated in two treks in to Krishnagiri Upawan (or Borivali National Park) and Bhimashankar(do not remember this - could be Khandala). In US, I was a only a contributing member and stuck the sticker of the Panda outside my apartment door in Plainsboro, NJ - only to be served a notice to remove it. :-( Somehow, after returning to India, corresponded a bit with the Corbett Foundation but didn't follow through since my own earnings dipped recently. Now physically unfit to go out alone on rugged treks too. :-(