Monster Mountain Lion

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Monster Mountain Lion

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Out of curiosity, do you hunt?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 pm

There is a "quote" feature built into the system. Helps a lot in making it easier to understand who is saying what. JMO.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Vikram wrote:There is a "quote" feature built into the system. Helps a lot in making it easier to understand who is saying what. JMO.
Will be employed henceforth.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Skyman wrote:Out of curiosity, do you hunt?
I have not had an opportunity to hunt for quite some time. I did hunt regularly in my younger days, but when my job responsibilities demanded a lot more of me, I did not have the opportunity.

I don't know if I would hunt big game any longer. Sometimes I think I would like to do one last elk hunt in New Mexico, where they have some real monster bulls. I don't know if it will happen, however. I was a very avid varmint hunter and have often wished I could head out to the huge prairie dog towns in West Texas and varmint hunt. I still find varmint hunting very appealing for the long range shooting aspect of it.

So, I am a hunter, but I haven't done so in a long time. If your qualification is whether I've done it in the last year or so, I'm not a hunter. But if you are judging based on whether I have or would in the future, the answer is yes, I am a hunter.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm

What guns do you use? For various critters?

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Skyman wrote:Let them hunt properly with a spear if they want a thrill.....
In that case . Why hunt with a spear? That wouldn't be sporting either.
The Maasai hunt in groups.

The most "proper" way would be to tear apart the animal with their bare hands.
Legand has it that only one man has ever done that.
Lord Shiva.
He killed a tiger which had come out roaring from a Yagna......and then tied the skin around his waist.
(Though some scholars believe that the tiger (in that story) represents Lust and the death of the tiger is basically to signify the lord's victory over lust).

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm

For deer and elk in Montana, I had these rifles at various times:
1895 Winchester in .30-40
721 Remington in 300 H&H
Modified Krag carbine in .30-40
6.5 mm Swedish Mauser carbine
1895 Marlin in .45-70
Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester

Of this list, the only one I still have is the Ruger #1, though I did give the Marlin to my older son. The Ruger ended up doing varmint duty, when I swapped out the 4x Leupold scope for a 12x Weaver with adjustable objective. I was starting to tune it and get into rockchuck hunting when we moved and hunting came to an end for me.

For varmints, I used and use my 22 Marlin 39A. Also for varmints, I have used my Ruger in 45 Colt, Colt Officer's Model in 38 Special, and 1911 in 45 ACP.

I have a few shotguns but never hunted with them.

Harry S. Truman

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 am

300 h&H is a very good calibre from what i read. very accurate. Is it true?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 am

shooter, mine was pretty accurate. I was young and loaded it up as hot as allowable and ended up cracking the stock in the tang area. I restocked it and traded it before really wringing out again, but I don't think my bedding job was that good.

I really liked the cartridge, as yes, it was noted for accuracy back in the 30s for 1000 yard competition (although it's been long superseded) and had a strong nostalgic quality, which I liked and still do.

I have thought about making up one of my Mosin Nagant actions up in 300 H&H, using it as a single shot and eliminating the magazine cut in the stock. Something along these lines:

http://www.rocksolidind.com/media/wysiw ... ew_M39.pdf

But really, the 7.62x54r is a fine cartridge I like very much, as well.

Too many guns, not enough time!

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 am

It is my opinion, laced with disgust at the pleasure people take in killing for the sake of it.I did not claim to be right.

I would not, even if i could.Thrill is relative.I find none in such an activity.If some one does, i neither care nor judge.

I did fight off a dog with a 5ish foot stick.Once the animal gets in your guard, you are done for.Yes, it was far more life threatening ( and thrilling ) to engage an animal 5-6 feet away knowing your life depends on not letting it get through, than to be away off and use a catapult or similar projectile firing weapon.And having friends for back up.
Skyman, you are young so I don't want you to take what I am going to say personally. Think of it more as an attempt to educate you.

This something that I posted a while back in this post:
You know what bothers me? Almost all these people eat meat, wear leather goods, etc.
Someone has to kill the animal that they consume.

It is sheer hypocrisy to chide someone for hunting when you eat meat or utilize animal products yourself.
Usually the bigger the noise they make about the issue, the more of a fake they are.
If they are so obviously hypocritical and fake, why would anyone take them seriously?

Do you use the following? They were made of animal by products and an animal had to be killed to make it.
If you use any of the products listed below, don't you dare say a word against legal, ethical hunting.

1. Plastic bags
2. Car and Bike tires
3. Glues used in wood working and musical instruments
4. Some biofuels
5. Fireworks
6. Fabric Softeners
7. Shampoo and Condtioner
8. Toothpaste
9. Some refined sugars
10. Gelatin (Jello)
11. Many soaps, detergents and household cleaners.
link here
To produce the items above, someone had to kill an animal to get at the by products. To give you the meat that you eat or the leather shoes, belts, wallets, etc that you consume, someone had to kill an animal. Can you tell me what the difference is if someone else kills the animal or if I kill the animal myself (for its meat or skin, etc)? Think about this carefully and give me your answer.

Trophy hunting is a slightly different story. See Shooters post about the subject. Some animals are taken so the rest might thrive.

Re: the throwing of a ball of lead,etc. Shooting something at long distance is not simply a matter of pointing a gun and pulling the trigger. That only happens in Hollywood and Bollywood. It takes skill and constant practice to hit your target consistently, more so when under pressure of a hunt and even more so when hunting game that can take your head off with a snap of its teeth or a swipe of its paw. When you're on foot in brush after game that can bite back, even that rifle in your hands can seem awfully puny. It takes a certain amount of perseverance, physical and mental fitness as well as courage to do that.

You see people on here posting tiny groups, for example, Baljit's groups with his 300 Mag. Rest assured only a very small percentage of people can do that. I like to think that I'm a decent shot but I know I couldn't do that. Shooting isn't like in the movies. It is not easy.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

You mistake me.I support hunting to control numbers, and i don't judge anyone who hunts.I don't like for instance, holding a fish out of water just to see it struggle for air.In the same way, i don't like killing something for the sake of killing it.

I am fully aware it takes practice and skill to hit anything at range.I am excited when i hit the bulls eye with an air gun.No such feeling when i hit a living thing.If anyone does feel happy/excited/thrilled when they kill a living thing, so be it.I don't care for it.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

Skyman wrote:You mistake me.I support hunting to control numbers, and i don't judge anyone who hunts.I don't like for instance, holding a fish out of water just to see it struggle for air.In the same way, i don't like killing something for the sake of killing it.

I am fully aware it takes practice and skill to hit anything at range.I am excited when i hit the bulls eye with an air gun.No such feeling when i hit a living thing.If anyone does feel happy/excited/thrilled when they kill a living thing, so be it.I don't care for it.

Killing for the sake of killing is called animal cruelty, not hunting.
An ethical hunter takes great care so his quarry doesn't suffer. The goal is a one shot instant downing of the quarry. It doesn't always happen that way but that is the goal.
The thrill is in the chase and not in the death of a living creature. Most hunters feel a kind of sadness after they have downed the kill.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 am

It is that cruelty which i abhor.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Why is it that the hunters have to justify their viewpoint re: ethics morality sportsmanship and conservation.
I want to ask all vegetarians about their thoughts re the number of animals killed to provide them bread and veggies.
About the suffering caused by factory killing for leather.
All so called. Ethical people posingin the knives swction with leather sheaths.
All the BS about cruelty. Cruelty is a very subjective term. You abhor it or love it, I can't change it. It has zero impact on conservation and environment. It doesn't only apply to hunting but to all manner of ways of dealing with others. The parameters of cruelty change with culture, religion, region, nations and political leanings. So who is to decide what's cruel? You abhor fish suffering out of water? You think every commercially caught fish is killed immideately with a priest?
From now on I shall start commenting on all pics about things that don't agree with my moral compass.
Last I knew anti gun brigade weren't welcome as critics on IFG.
Similarly this thread is called hunting. If you don't like it don't visit it.

I am setting the record straight here by saying that I hunt as I like it. No justification needed.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Skyman wrote:You mistake me.I support hunting to control numbers, and i don't judge anyone who hunts.I don't like for instance, holding a fish out of water just to see it struggle for air.In the same way, i don't like killing something for the sake of killing it.
Read above.