Nitro- Now plays with the Rhinos

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Nitro- Now plays with the Rhinos

Post by veejosh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:27 am

A nice feeling to know of your fellow members achievement. He has graduated from elephants to rhinos !! :)

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/det ... 013/city07

Bibhab Kumar Talukdar, secretary general of Aaranyak and Asia coordinator of the International Rhino Foundation and Kaushik Barua, chief executive officer of Assam Elephant Foundation took part in rhino capture today in Kruger National Park and assisted the Kruger Veterinary Wildlife Service officials.

In total, four wild white rhinos were captured which includes two mothers and calves. The team was led by Dr Markus Hofmeyr, Head of Veterinary Wildlife Service in Kruger under the SANParks management authorities.

Dr Talukdar and Barua have been in Kruger since June 11 and will remain there till June 23. During their stay in Kruger, both the conservationists took part in lion capture, release and monitoring.

On his experience, Dr Talukdar said, “This is a real great opportunity to be in Kruger and take part and assist in rhino capture this morning.” Barua took special interest in various types of crates used along with other logistics equipment for capture and transport of rhinos.

Helicopter was used to locate suitable rhinos in southern part of Kruger NP this morning and then darted the two suitable mothers and calves each. Then the logistics and other Vet team collected samples like blood and hair for DNA and disease investigation with special reference to TB. The operation started early morning and finished before noon.
Last edited by veejosh on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Nitro- Now plays with the Rhinos

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 am

Vee

Unable to open the link encouraging news though and congrats to Nitro

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:08 am

ngrewal wrote:Vee

Unable to open the link encouraging news though and congrats to Nitro

Rctified Sir.

Vikas

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks for posting that article.
In corresponding with Nitro, I was struck by the gentleman's modesty as well as his generosity.
It was a pleasure to make his acquaintance.
Nitro, if you are reading this, I would like you to know that I think about you every time I drink that Assam Tea.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:44 am

Oh cool! I lost contact with him a few months ago, and was worried since he had an accident with an elephant sometime back. Glad to know he is rocking in South Africa.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:51 am

Yup, you should have seen what the elephant looked like ;-).
Anyway Nitro had broken his wrist and hip from what I know.
Nothing to keep him down though.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Vikas, Thank you for posting this.

Nitro, congratulations and I am sure the knowledge gained at the Kruger will be put to good use in saving the Rhinos in Assam. More power to you!

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."