Where to buy hunting clothes

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Where to buy hunting clothes

Post by nagarifle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 pm

brihacharan wrote:
Ramandeep wrote:
nagarifle wrote:hunting in the pink is the just the thing these days, economical suits everybody and environment friendly. not only that it has last thousands of years. easy to wash, everyone loves it
Hahaha :lol: :lol: good one Naga, the first pink i loved was by Aerosmith and the best pink is on my daughter but any given day I won't mind wearing a pink.
Ramandeep,
I'm afraid you lost Nag's "double' entrande'" (double meaning)...
He probably meant 'hunting in the buff' - am I right Nags??? :lol:
Briha

yes sir you are absolutely right, there are those who prefer to hunt in the pink. even in these days of fancy clothing.

for bush photography any local ex army shop will have some cams going for peanuts. really no need for fancy clothing as most animals are colour blind any way. its the smell sound and movement that will give you away first. or some dark clothing will do fine.

as most outdoor type chaps with experience modify something into anything.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:57 pm

If you are ever in Mumbai or Bangalore, you can buy from the bricks-and-mortar stores also. No business reqd for these.
Esdee, Are you saying that they have outlets in B'lore and Mumbai or did I misunderstand you?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 am

You can get camouflage clothes from Cabela's.

Do some google searches -- anyplace that caters to bow hunters will have the sorts of clothes you are looking for, as well.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:43 am

If you want camo to conceal yourself for outdoor photography, your best bet would be surplus military items.
You would have to pick a pattern and color scheme. If you live in an arid area, look at something more like what the US marines are wearing in Afghanistan (Marpat). If you are in a more lush jungle, you might want something like a tiger stripe. In a more temperate climate (foothills of the Himalayas), you would maybe go for a woodland camo scheme or German Flecktarn.

Marpat is available in woodland, desert and snow variations.

Modern German Flecktarn (India, Japan and China use some flecktarn inspired items)

US Woodland Pattern

[youtube][/youtube]
Flecktarn vs Woodland.

In heavy canopied tropical jungles, some of the Tigerstripe patterns might be effective.
Tigerstripe.

The advantage of purchasing surplus miltary camo clothing is the price and durability. At least American (and most NATO countries) BDU's would be made of rugged ripstop material of a poly-cotton blend that would dry quickly when wet. I know some of the comblock uniforms can be heavy and cheaply made. Remember also that most military clothes have lots of pockets which some in handy.

The other option is civilian camo like the patterns offered by Mossy Oak and RealTree. See some of the other patterns offered for hunters here

Once you decide on a pattern, you can buy surplus uniforms on ebay. It doesn't matter if they are used, in fact those might be more comfortable than new. Military surplus will be cheaper and available used. Civilian patterns would be harder to get used.

Just one warning: It might be one thing to wear camo in Bandipur but you probably don't want to be gallivanting through the woods dressed in camo when in parts of Kashmir or some other area where there is insurgent activity. Regular clothes in muted greens and browns might be more practical. Remember that it is movement (and shine) that catches the eyes of animals more than color.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:08 am

XL, I would also like to add:

Be sure that you do not use regular laundry detergent to wash your camouflage clothes. Hunters know that using regular laundry detergent to wash camouflage hunting clothes will make them glow like a neon sign to animals.

This is because most animals don't see in color. The retinas of our human eyes have both rods and cones, with an emphasis on cones, which give us color vision. Most animals have an abundance of rods, which only see black and white, but give them the ability to see in low light conditions that leave us in the dark, but in which animals can see.

Like the hearing of many animals, the sight of animals has a wider wavelength detection than do human eyes. They can see shorter wavelengths of light closer to the ultraviolet part of the spectrum.

What this means is, the "Whiteners" that are usually in laundry detergent to "make whiter whites" in our vision will reflect light of a shorter wavelength. Our rods and cones eyes see this as "whiter white," which, to us, means a cleaner looking wash. But to the animals, they see that ultraviolet light very clearly and someone dressed in such clothes looks like a light bulb moving about.

Make sure you wash your camouflage clothes in old fashioned soap, something that doesn't have whiteners in it, or else you will be standing out like a sore thumb in the woods.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:56 am

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Yes, I meant the stores in Mumbai & Bangalore. You can walk in there - don't need to be a reseller or anything. Mumbai store is in Thane Ghodbunder Road, Bangalore is on Sarjapur Road, beyond Whitefield.

You can get Army surplus stuff from the shops around major cantts. But "impersonating an Army personnel" is a crime in India. Just make sure the camo is normal and doesn't have "Indian Army" / "Bharatiya Sena" in Hindi and crossed swords logo.

I am sure you don't need this - but please try on the shoes. I once hiked 15 odd km in a pair of too loose shoes.

Bennedose, I have had some bad experiences with unbranded apparels from oliveplanet. Specifically bandannas and shemaghs. Wouldn't recommend without a personal look-see.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 am

nagarifle wrote:hunting in the pink is the just the thing these days, economical suits everybody and environment friendly. not only that it has last thousands of years. easy to wash, everyone loves it
In your avatar you look more brown than pink. :lol:
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947