Camera's and accessories.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Camera's and accessories.

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

Aftab,
thats what i call photography,its obsolute,hats off.i want to decide between sigma and tamaron,reviews i read was inconvincing .the nikkor 500 and 600 are about 5 to 6lacs too much to invest.
but here is a man who defied all these costly equipments,he had format cameras and had a name for himself in black and white phtographs.he was using a format camera when SLR's where introduced.his name is ANSEL ADAMS.
regards
dr.jk

For Advertising mail webmaster
aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm

F-N-Five-Seven sir, My friend is using nikon D300s and nikon D7100.

Dr.Jk sir, All lenses, Nikon, Tamron or sigma; zoom or prime; will have their advantages and disadvantages. you just need to know where they lack, and try to overcome that. Like for instance, in sigma 150-500, you will not get a sharp and crisp picture, if you shoot at 500mm or at its min aperture.
you will need to shoot at around 420mm MAX, and a min of f/7.1 aperture. increase the ISO if there is low light.
Dont miss to consider two things before buying lens, 1-Glass quality and 2-focusing speed with focusing accuracy.

Apart from equipment one must get closer to the subject for better images.

Regards
Aftab
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Moin. wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote:
Moin. wrote:Dr.Saab, A Nikon D90 with a 50mm 1.8 Prime lense. learning the ropes...

Regards
Moin.
Moin and Ramdeep pictures of your camera please.
Moin,is D90 heavy to carry on trek?tell me about your experience with this camera,have you got pics which you think is awesome and why.
Ramdeep share your lenses with us.
regards
dr.jk
Well Dr.Saab its heavier and larger than the 3xxx and the 5xxx series. Is a proven workhorse since 2008 and i got a very sweet deal on the body. Got it second hand in mint condition for a steal. Will post pics soon.

Why dont you look at the D7000 prices he dropped drastically. Body was 44k last time i checked.

Regards
Moin.
Thanks moin.did you mean this site https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 6721,d.bmk?
regards
dr.jk

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

aftabkhan wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote: telephoto lenses like sigma,tamaron donot have vibration reducer(VR) unlike nikkor and canon telephoto lenses,does anyone have experience with sigma or tamaron?
regards
dr.jk
Sigma 150 to 500 have VR. One of my friend is using this since 3 years.It is a proven lens.
At 400mm (over 400 up to 500mm picture sharpness decreases), F7.1 (sweet spot of this lens) and shutter not less than 1/250 seconds it produces sharp images.

Here are some sample images taken from Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM lense
[ Image ]

A sturdy tripod is must for this lens.

Regards
Aftab
A wonderful set of photos and this photo in particular reflects the cameraman in the eye ???
Which tripod is it by the way and where do you source it from?
Thanks a ton for sharing such beautiful snaps.
Best

Vikas

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks moin.did you mean this site https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 6721,d.bmk?
regards
dr.jk[/quote]

Hello Dr. Saab. Yes this is the jjmehta sale forums. You will find good deals on used equipment here.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Aftaab, checked out Masoods flickr account. Those pics are worthy of National Geographic :D
Thank you for sharing the link.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Amazing photography there by your friend Masood Hussain back there Aftab. I really agree the camera and the equipment cannot alone guarantee a great picture but the other part which can make a good picture to a great picture is perception and technique of the photographer. I had this stigma myself of going for a high end full frame camera when one of my friend changed my notion for it and showed works of some amazing professional photographer's work who don't use full frame camera but use APS-C and not very high end professional lenses. The limitation with wildlife photography is more of timing than mostly of distance and almost every single wildlife picture is cropped to make shot look really great.
1 shot 1 kill!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Best Camera & Lens for Nature and Wildlife Photography

You are a lover of nature and wildlife and want to capture this beauty of nature and wildlife in your digital camera. But before that, it is important that you know about Cameras & Wildlife lens that you will need to use for taking photographs of nature and wildlife.

For most of the nature and wildlife, you will need to have lens in the range between 300 or 400 mm. Even 300 mm is long enough for nature and wildlife photography, but you cannot expect your ultimate sharpness in the photo from a mid-range zoom like this. However, if you intend to take the photographs only of wildlife where you can get fairly close to the animals like Game Reserves or National Park then, the 400 range is adequate.

If you are looking for lenses for photographing birds, then you will require buying lens at least in between the range of 400 mm to 600 mm. While buying lens for nature and wildlife photography you can safely rely on Nikon or Canon as both can be fitted with an assortment of high resolution lenses, depending on the need.

While buying for only nature photography, you should look for a good 28-105 mm and a 100-300 mm. besides this, you can also think of having a 20-35 mm macro lens. The last one is ideally suited for extreme close-ups of flowers, insects etc. Personally I have very successfully used a 50mm – 250mm macro & a 90mm macro for photographing agricultural pests.

It is not always necessary that you buy a number of lenses for wild and nature photography to get good results. As far as photographic lenses are concerned, you just require to have few lenses but carefully chosen. In a case, that you have a limited budget, then it is good that you opt for one but an excellent lens instead of buying a number of cheap lenses.

At the same time, even if you can afford to buy number of lenses, still it is not reasonable to buy every lens, which you can get. In nature photography, you can take a photograph of virtually every subject with the help of just five lenses.

BUDGET & PURPOSE

If you are not a professional photographer, rather it is just your hobby; then you need to opt for a different set of telephoto lenses unlike the professional photographer whose target is to sell the resultant photographs or commissioned by clients for specific assignments.

WILD LIFE LENS SIZE

In wildlife photography, it is difficult to get fairly close to your subjects, the reason why you should buy a lens with a big magnification. To capture mammals in your camera, you should buy at least 300 mm or 400 mm and for birds, a 600 m lenses. You could also consider a 2X multiplier attachment which when attached doubles the lens’s focal length – however there could be a slight compromise in the photograph’s resolution.

IMAGE STABILIZATION

Most probably, you would look for telephoto lenses with image stabilization so as to prevent blurring and it can be easy to hold in hand especially in low light conditions.

ONE LENS - BETTER THAN TWO

You can have one excellent lens instead of having several, unless you’re a professional. It is in a way better because you do not have to change lenses frequently in dusty conditions. Also, you may miss some magnificent opportunity while changing lenses.

However if you are a serious professional nature and wildlife photographer or if you can afford it, then you should consider buying Canon EF 100-400L IS or Nikon 80-400 VR zoom telephoto lenses. These are high quality portable multipurpose lenses that fit all type of nature and wildlife photography situations.

I hope the above information is of some use to all you aspiring photography enthusiasts. Incidentally this was the outcome of my discussions with 2 of my friends who are renowned professional photographers.

Finally all said & done capturing the right moment + a good composition is what a good picture is all about – If your picture has a story to tell – You’ve done yourself proud!!! :D

Good Luck!
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Whatever you get, practice like a madman. Take the camera with you, even while going for your day job. This is what constraints most of us in developing our photography. Many of us (myself included) cannot digest looking slightly foolish carrying an SLR everywhere (plus the burden on the neck / shoulder and the risk of it being stolen / damaged). But at the end of the day, before capturing that beautiful shot of a tiger, one needs to practice on (say) stray dogs!

Actually my smartphone (Samsung S4 currently) has helped me more in developing photography, because it is something everyone carries and shoots with (so the "looking foolish" part is taken care of), and while everybody else is taking selfies with the smartphone, you can focus on improving photography!

And Brihaji, do you by the way write professional manuals (I think you did tell me once). Because all your "how tos" from scoping an air rifle to the above post, is written so professionally, that before I met you, I used to think you actually copied from a pro site or text! (now that can be classified a backhanded compliment!!)
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:34 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Whatever you get, practice like a madman. Take the camera with you, even while going for your day job. This is what constraints most of us in developing our photography. Many of us (myself included) cannot digest looking slightly foolish carrying an SLR everywhere (plus the burden on the neck / shoulder and the risk of it being stolen / damaged). But at the end of the day, before capturing that beautiful shot of a tiger, one needs to practice on (say) stray dogs!

Actually my smartphone (Samsung S4 currently) has helped me more in developing photography, because it is something everyone carries and shoots with (so the "looking foolish" part is taken care of), and while everybody else is taking selfies with the smartphone, you can focus on improving photography!

And Brihaji, do you by the way write professional manuals (I think you did tell me once). Because all your "how tos" from scoping an air rifle to the above post, is written so professionally, that before I met you, I used to think you actually copied from a pro site or text! (now that can be classified a backhanded compliment!!)
> You're right SD :D
> In my previous job I had written...
+ Several Operational Manuals on products & application (engineering)
+ On preventive maintenance of power tools
+ Training & recruitment (Techniques in interviewing, selection, placement, induction, advanced training, refresher training
+ Case studies for business schools
+ Feature writing for corporate publications
+ Scripts for short films / AVs (Curtain raisers / motivational / R&R events etc)
+ Just for lark I write poetry too :D
> I got to stop now - My wrist is aching trying to pat myself on the back :lol:
Cheers
Briha

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 pm

veejosh wrote:
aftabkhan wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote: telephoto lenses like sigma,tamaron donot have vibration reducer(VR) unlike nikkor and canon telephoto lenses,does anyone have experience with sigma or tamaron?
regards
dr.jk
Sigma 150 to 500 have VR. One of my friend is using this since 3 years.It is a proven lens.
At 400mm (over 400 up to 500mm picture sharpness decreases), F7.1 (sweet spot of this lens) and shutter not less than 1/250 seconds it produces sharp images.

Here are some sample images taken from Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM lense
[ Image ]

A sturdy tripod is must for this lens.

Regards
Aftab
A wonderful set of photos and this photo in particular reflects the cameraman in the eye ???
Which tripod is it by the way and where do you source it from?
Thanks a ton for sharing such beautiful snaps.
Best

Vikas
The one you see Aftab using is manfrotto with ball head.most professional use this manfrotto,they are costly but really helps you with a wonderful pictures.
regards
dr.jk

VishyB
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VishyB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Dr. Saab,

Some great tips & talent seen in this thread.
While I am a reborn shooter with guns, I have been pursuing wildlife photography as a hobby for the past few years and have a lot to learn

My equipment (Canon or Nikon - it does not matter - the photographer makes the images)
1. Camera : Canon EOS 40D (Current equivalent model is 70D) -It has an APS-C sized sensor that effectively multiplies the focal length by 1.6X in case of Canon and is useful for wildlife photography
2. lenses : EF 400 5.6L - my workhorse bird photography lens, EF 70-200 4L IS, EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, EF-S 10-22 IS, EF 50 1.8
3. Tripod : Manfrotto 055 X ProB with ball head

Tips?
1. Patience
2. Know your subject
3. Get close - most important
4. Get down to eye level of the subject
5. Position yourself for good illumination on the subject
6. Preferred to have background far from subject & relatively uncluttered
7. Eyes should be sharp, eye contact of subject with camera adds immense value to the image
8. Keep shooting - no shortcut to aquiring hands on experience
9. Watch great images to be able to honestly identify areas of improvement and for inspiration

Some images ...

http://vishyb.zenfolio.com/p575056322/e140b49a5

http://vishyb.zenfolio.com/p894063362/e528fa95c

http://vishyb.zenfolio.com/p513262047/e376fc1ab

http://vishyb.zenfolio.com/p513262047/e22d2f4fe

http://vishyb.zenfolio.com/p513262047/e24bf2e6a

Cheers,
Vishwanath

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 am

Fantastic pictures Vishwanath.truly amazing to see such talent amoung you all.one word of advice you and Aftab should join national geographic as a member and post these pictures.you'll have appreciation as well as recognition.
regards
dr.jk

VishyB
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VishyB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:44 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:Fantastic pictures Vishwanath.truly amazing to see such talent amoung you all.one word of advice you and Aftab should join national geographic as a member and post these pictures.you'll have appreciation as well as recognition.
regards
dr.jk
Thank You for the kind words Dr. Saab

We have a lot of talented wildlife photographers.
Images of Aftab too are wonderful.
If interested, you may check out images on the forum to which I have link below

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/index.php

Images from some of the photographers are simply awesome!
I personally feel that I am not able to consistently get images of the level I desire.
Needs a lot of time & dedication too which is difficult due to work related pressures.

Cheers,
Vishwanath

aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Awesome pictures viswanath sir. Pictures with 400mm f5.6 are superb.
I endorse you for your lense collections. All are excellent in their own section. more importantly your ability and skill to utilize them are excellent. Gone through your shared link and your pictures, all are amazing.

Totally agree with your tips for wild life photography.

Regards
Aftab.
Last edited by aftabkhan on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.