Maneating tigress of Moradabad

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Maneating tigress of Moradabad

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:30 pm

a_kamal wrote:
The only hope seems to be identfication of the pugs where it is deduced that right hind leg is injured and tigress moves with a limp and this is the cause of her turning maneater as there is no other reason for a 4 year or tigress to turn to a diet unnatural to it.
Good to see my friend's name in the article. Kr Sanjay Singh . The man with whom we hunted down the Maneater of Chandmari.

Where did the maneater come from in the first place? The answer is obvious. Corbett Tiger Reserve.
Do you think a tigress with an injured leg could cover than distance (Corbett to Sambhal , Moradabad , Afzalgarh- Bijnore, back to Corbett and again Bijnore)--- a distance of more than 200 kms as the crow flies...... in such a short time.....with an injured foot?

By the way. There are 5 other Shikaar Teams.

For Advertising mail webmaster
skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 am

me 6.jpg
One of the teams has called off the search after spending a total of 18 days on its trail.

At times they were very close, but she is too wary with so many people chasing her.

She has moved into the foothills and the terrain is full of ravines, lantana etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am

I had gone to my farm in the adjoining district and close to Sambhal. On the way back I spent some time with my friend and visited the spot where the kill had taken place. The mans tattered clothes were still lying there. We even went on a search on foot since some forest guards had heard the roars of a tiger when they were tying a machaan.
All the Shikar teams were called. It was my luck that I joined the hunt at such a time.While two Shikar teams were out on elephants . Two teams (including yours truly) were out on foot. On foot with a possible maneater closeby. (My wife thought I am going crazy) . It is a mixed forest with lots of wildlife (specially Neelgai). Our team was the first to spot fresh pug marks of the resident male. The DFO was informed and the other Shikari's were called back. Everyone was showns the pug marks and they all agreed it belonged to the male (not the maneater).

The article blames the forest dept. for not getting the maneater.
They are obviously the easy targets.
I blame organisations like PFA for creating all this mess.
Will talk about it in detail later.

a_kamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by a_kamal » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Prashant ,

you obviously have more info being situated on ground zero , but blaming PFA for the mess does not sound good to me since the PFA main motive is to prevent
animal abuse in all ways , they have been overzealous and sometimes gone overboard in certain cases , when you give details of what mess they have created we will discuss this further .

However forest department is rightfully blamed for being illequipped , illinformed and with some symapthy i will say mistreated by their political masters.

A glaring factor is that the best weapon they have .315 , the same weapon was used in shooting of last corbett maneater (the one with female feats) and injuring folow up and subsequent 7 shots later he was secured , This was not because tiger has high amount of vitality but the weapons used were not upto the task.

I still blame the forest departments ill-mnagement not the forest officials on ground trying their best taking flak from all sides .

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 pm

a_kamal wrote:Hi Prashant ,

you obviously have more info being situated on ground zero , but blaming PFA for the mess does not sound good to me since the PFA main motive is to prevent
animal abuse in all ways , they have been overzealous and sometimes gone overboard in certain cases , when you give details of what mess they have created we will discuss this further .

A glaring factor is that the best weapon they have .315 , the same weapon was used in shooting of last corbett maneater (the one with female feats) and injuring folow up and subsequent 7 shots later he was secured , This was not because tiger has high amount of vitality but the weapons used were not upto the task.

I still blame the forest departments ill-mnagement not the forest officials on ground trying their best taking flak from all sides .
I said "organisations LIKE the PFA" not PFA. Which basically means all these "animal rights" organisations or whatever you call these NGOs. Let me go into the details.
When the animal made its first kill it was in Sambhal. Far away from any jungles. It was the perfect time to shoot this animal. She had little experience in maneating. She was the only tiger in the area . Yet due to pressure from these organisations the hunting of this maneater was differed to a later stage. Will go into further details

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 pm

, but blaming PFA for the mess does not sound good to me since the PFA main motive is to prevent animal abuse in all ways , they have been overzealous and sometimes gone overboard in certain cases
Notwithstanding, what Prashant has said, haven't you basically just invalidated your own criticism with the above statement?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

PFA and organisations like them have done tremendous damage for Indian Wildlife and Flora.

Nature is not governed by human emotions, but by a systematic and judicious understanding of its workings.

Look at South Africa or Germany or Pakistan or scores of other countries and see what sustainable wild life management is about.

I do not believe this tigress is lame, she hunts man because it is in her nature to do so, and we either accept these losses of our helpless fellow country folks, or we take a decision to put her down or pull her out.

Personally, I would like to see her translocated to where she can breed and have cubs to contribute to our dwindeling population of our National animal which unfortunately has been brought about by the decisions of these very "greens".

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 am

Can someone please put this article on this forum for me.
In this article it says that Hon. Minister Manika Gandhi wrote to the forest dept. saying that once the maneater goes back to her natural habitat she will not kill any more humans.
In the last kill (where I spent some time) the maneater killed the man who was grazing his cattle This is the ground situation which I have seen first hand. The tigress left the 10 cows and only killed and ate the man,
Here is the link
http://www.theguardian.com/contributed- ... unt-oo-for

I shall elaborate more after the link has been posted.
It is very easy to blame the forest dept.
and make a mockery of the hunters.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 am

Can't post the link cause of my limited knowledge of computers. There are a number of links from different news papers which talk about how Hon Minister Maneka Gandhi has written to the forest officials not to kill this tiger and instead catch it and relocate it back to Corbett.

Apart from stopping hunters from killing this maneater.
Even when the permit was finally issued there were a number of restrictions. One such restriction was that the hunters could not hunt in the night. Infact they are not even allowed to search for the maneater at night. Thereason given was that the hunters would kill an animal in a case of mistaken identity.
For this reason Nawab Safath who had previously shot a maneating tiger in UP (Faisabad) returned.
Big cats do not sleep the night like we humans do. Infact they are very active through the nights. In the winters the nights get longer and are almost as long as the days. If one is not allowed to track the animal for 12 hrs out of 24 it is impossible to locate the movement.
Just before I came back Singh got a call from a reporter from Delhi. She asked him if they had located the tiger. Singh replied he had no idea where the maneater was. The last of her pugmarks were seen some 4 days ago. He also explained the same to the reported.
"We are hunting with one hand tied to our back" He said.

BTW: He has put my name for the hunt. I am one of the 4 members
of his team. But due to my own work load have been able to take
out half a day for this hunt.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Here's the link, Doc-

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities ... ter-tiger/
Maneka intervenes, forest dept drops plan to kill maneater tiger
The UP government has dropped the plan to kill a tiger that has so far killed six persons in over 15 days in the Moradabad region — after BJP leader and animal rights activist Maneka Gandhi’s intervention.
The tiger, suspected to have strayed into human settlements from the Jim Corbett National Park, has killed five persons in Moradabad and one in Bijnore.
Three shooters, who were called in to hunt down the tiger, who has been declared a maneater, have now been asked to suspend their operation that started a day ago.
Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) Rupak De confirmed that Maneka Gandhi has asked the department not to kill the tiger and that their priority is now to tranquilise it.
Tranquilising teams have begun operations to dart the tiger and cage it.
De said alerts have been issued in places where the tiger is suspected to be present and the teams of forest department are camping there.
The tiger last killed a 25-year-old youth at a sugarcane field in Bijnore on Friday. The forest department declared it a maneater Thursday.
Bijnore Divisional Forest Officer Vijay Singh said five teams of forest officials , including two from Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and Jim Corbett Park, are trying to track the tiger.
Singh said a tiger attacked a woman in Kalagarh area of Uttarakhand Tuesday and they suspect it could be the same tiger that had strayed into Moradabad.
He said the tiger was last seen along the Baneli river and the village, where the incident took place in Uttarakhand, falls on the same route.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

I guess desperate times requires desperate means:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/barh ... ess-484866

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Is this guy serious trying to hunt a tiger on horseback and no one is taking any action its really shocking all I can say " It happens only in India"

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

> This is an excerpt from > http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/barh ... ess-484866

"It's been more than a month since the man-eater has been on the prowl on the fringes of the Corbett National Park. The local MLA says it's his duty to hunt down the tigress and that he needs no license to kill the man-eater, as it is killing the voters in his constituency.

Fashioned like an armed gang of robbers, the horseback the BSP MLA Mohammad Ghazi and his men are on a mission to end the terror of a tigress that has killed 10 people since January.

The law maker who has turned into a law breaker says, "Everyone knows about what this tigress is doing. We have no choice but to hunt her down. We don't want her to make her 11th kill. I may die but I will not allow this tigress to kill another person. Nobody should dare try to stop me."

The conservator of forests MP Singh says that what the MLA is trying to do is illegal. "Forget shooting a tiger, even entering the forest with arms is illegal and he can be prosecuted under the wild life protection act".

If the MLA kills the tiger, he will become a poacher and not the savior of his people.

> The MLA's behavior is a bad example of politicizing an unfortunate & tragic event...
> The centre should take immediate action by arresting the MLA & even suspending him...
Briha

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Infact he is encouraging people to break the law.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Someone needs to read him the Arms Act, confiscate his guns and cancel his licenses. Wait, he is not an ordinary law abiding citizen, is he? Then he can keep them. :roll:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."