Hunt gone wrong

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Hunt gone wrong

Post by Motorpsycho » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 pm

This Gif was shared on Reddit , do not have any further info

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Hunt gone wrong

Post by Kittu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 pm

i see he fired one shot.why he was carrying pistol for hunting that too with a silencer on pistol.seems like illigal hunting.is poacher ki band baj gaayi thats sure

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 pm

OOOH ! That's scary... Can't say much about the video but that looks like a revolver to me... not a pistol with silencer as Ashok says

TC

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 pm

TC wrote:OOOH ! That's scary... Can't say much about the video but that looks like a revolver to me... not a pistol with silencer as Ashok says

TC
it seemed like revolver to me too first.kindly see barrel carefully.revolvers have .oo3 space between cylender and ballel that makes unfaurable for revolvers to use silencers because huge amount of gas leaked trough that gape and make noise thanks

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:34 pm

ashokgodara wrote:
TC wrote:OOOH ! That's scary... Can't say much about the video but that looks like a revolver to me... not a pistol with silencer as Ashok says

TC
it seemed like revolver to me too first.kindly see barrel carefully.revolvers have .oo3 space between cylender and ballel that makes unfaurable for revolvers to use silencers because huge amount of gas leaked trough that gape and make noise thanks
>Oooops! Very scary indeed....
> Unfortunately its an incomplete video / or edited upto the part shown...
> What comes to my mind are....
1. Is the man in the video out to hunt this leopard?
2. If so how can he be so ill equipped (revolver with silencer)
3. If someone is videographing the incident - is this a put up show with a trained leopard?
4. Why was the video abruptly cut (and put into a loop) without showing what happened finally?
> Very mysterious :roll: :roll: :roll:
Briha

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Looks authentic to me.
"Consider a leopard dead only after it has been skinned."
I have heard a number of stories where the leopard acted dead and pounced upon the hunter at the right time. This could be one such case.
The hunter probably thought he had killed the animal.
What is amazing is that he shoots the charging leopard at almost point blank range. The animal flinches when the shot hit's it. The shot is placed in the engine room (heart and lung) . Must have killed the beast in a few seconds. But those few seconds were enough to cause a lot of damage.
It is believed that you need a hundred stitches for every second a leopard is on you.

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Found the rest of the video

[youtube][/youtube]

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm

the guy must be crazy it looks like the shot missed the leopard

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 pm

ashokgodara wrote:

TC
Ashok, I know a thing or two about silencers 8)
However, even after watching the video five times my eyes can just see a revolver, probably a big bore, with a big cylinder and heavy barrel. I don't see any silencer. Even the position of the barrel in reference to the man's two-handed grip does not suggest it is a semi-auto pistol.

Maybe I have seen too many guns and its time to get my eyes checked ROTFL What do the others see ?

TC

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:00 pm

TC wrote:
ashokgodara wrote:

TC
Ashok, I know a thing or two about silencers 8)
However, even after watching the video five times my eyes can just see a revolver, probably a big bore, with a big cylinder and heavy barrel. I don't see any silencer. Even the position of the barrel in reference to the man's two-handed grip does not suggest it is a semi-auto pistol.

Maybe I have seen too many guns and its time to get my eyes checked ROTFL What do the others see ?

TC
TC dada
no need for eye check.your eye sight seems like xrays built in :cheers:

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Thank you Ashok.... Now lets find out what happened to the man because the second link doesn't seem to be working.

:cheers:

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:30 pm

prashantsingh wrote:Looks authentic to me.
"Consider a leopard dead only after it has been skinned."
I have heard a number of stories where the leopard acted dead and pounced upon the hunter at the right time. This could be one such case.
The hunter probably thought he had killed the animal.
What is amazing is that he shoots the charging leopard at almost point blank range. The animal flinches when the shot hit's it. The shot is placed in the engine room (heart and lung) . Must have killed the beast in a few seconds. But those few seconds were enough to cause a lot of damage.
It is believed that you need a hundred stitches for every second a leopard is on you.

> Very true....
> I remember a very long time ago our host in Khandera village (Bhopal) telling us about this hair-raising incident...
> A hunter shot a leopard which instandly dropped & lay motionless...
> Apparently thrilled with his accomplishment he went & prodded the animal with his rifle's barrel - when all of a sudden the leopard sprang up held him by his throat & clawed his guts out with its hind legs & the next minute dropped dead....
> Even after the poor fellow was rushed to the govt. hospital where he was attended to - didn't survive as gangrene set in & took its toll....
> It's said that when one drops a 'big cat' it's always prudent to bung in a second or third shot & wait long enough to ensure that it has breathed its last...
> BTW - just saw the rest of the video - it seems a miracle that the guy survived - fortunately he had back-up who could come to his rescue!!!
Briha

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I am noting how the cat waits until the guy comes out from around the corner of the rock and displays himself fully, allowing it the best chance for getting to the guy.

The backups with the rifles are -- where? They certainly were useful in this situation, weren't they? One of them comes up at the end and puts a finishing touch on the cat, reminding me of the rural fire department that arrives in time to save the chimney.

Agreeing with TC, the hunter has some large revolver and, I suspect, is a hunter who wanted to bag a leopard with a popgun.

The hunter appears lucky that the cat didn't have enough gas left to get those back feet working on his ample belly.

As I look over this video, I note that the cat's behavior shows millions of years of evolutionary refinement, that has honed the beast into one of the most efficient killing machines on the planet. On the other hand, the hunter's behavior, along with the doofuses along with him, shows -- well, that wouldn't be very complimentary.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 pm

woooo
hunter is too lucky.it seems he pumped second bullett when he was rolling.final shot was delivered by a rifle
i have seen video on utube and read commetts what i found funny
shooter left his legs unprotected because shooter knew panther will not attack them as they look like oak trees ROTFL

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:11 am

This is a rather old clip, I believe it is at least 10-15 years old. I remember the discussion at the time and someone chimed in who had some second hand information. I will try to remember the relevant information and post it. As I remember, the hunter was not chewed up too badly and the cat was killed with a Rem 870 shotgun the guide (off camera) had, but please let me try to find out the story properly first before any of that is taken as the actual fact.

What I learned long ago from watching this clip is how the hunter pointed the pistol at the cat, who batted it down. If I am ever in a close encounter with a dangerous animal there is much to consider about keeping your gun, whatever it is, close to your body and shooting from the hip if you are that close to an animal.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947