Heart Warming True Story!!!

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Heart Warming True Story!!!

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Guys,
> Here's a true story - So touching that I wanted to share it with you all....
> Its about a Sick Man named Jeff Guidry & a Sick Eagle named "Freedom"....read on....
(Passed on to me by a friend)

Freedom and I have been together 11 years this summer. She came in as a baby in 1998 with two broken wings. Her left wing doesn't open all the way even after surgery, it was broken in 4 places.

She was emaciated so I took her to the vet's office. From then on, I was always around her. We had her in a huge dog carrier with the top off, and it was loaded up with shredded newspaper for her to lie in. I used to sit and talk to her, urging her to live, to fight; and she would lay there looking at me with those big brown eyes. I also had to tube feed her for weeks.

I knew she could never fly, so the vet asked me to glove train her. I got her used to the glove, and then to jesses.

In the spring of 2000, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had stage 3, which is not good so I wound up doing 8 months of chemo. When I felt good enough, I would take Freedom out for walks. Freedom would also come to me in my dreams and help me fight the cancer. This happened time and time again.

Fast forward to November 2000 the day after Thanksgiving, I went in for my last checkup. I was told that if the cancer was not all gone after 8 rounds of chemo, then my last option was a stem cell transplant. Anyway, they did the tests; and I had to come back Monday for the results. I went in Monday, and I was told that all the cancer was gone!!!

So the first thing I did was to take the big girl out for a walk. It was misty and cold. I went to her flight and jessed her up, and we went out front to the top of the hill. I hadn't said a word to Freedom, but somehow she knew. She looked at me and wrapped both her wings around me to where I could feel them pressing in on my back and she touched my nose with her beak and stared into my eyes, and we just stood there like that for I don't know how long . That was a magic moment. We have been soul mates ever since she came in. This is a very special bird.
I will never forget the honor I have had of being so close to such a magnificent spirit as Freedom!!!
Have a great week-end :D
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Heart Warming True Story!!!

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:31 am

Brihaji, did you really have to make me cry early in the morning? What a cute eagle!!

Doesn't it seem that ingrates are found only amongst the prime species, aka homo sapiens?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:01 am

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, did you really have to make me cry early in the morning? What a cute eagle!!
Doesn't it seem that ingrates are found only among the prime species, aka homo sapiens?
Essdee, I too cried my heart out when I read this story....
Talking about ingrates - you are right...
Briha

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

please lend me towel! as hanky is socking wet
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

pradeep.kumar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep.kumar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Very touching indeed Brihaji!! About the connection between the two souls, the photograph says it all and may be more!!
Regards,
Pradeep

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks Briha Sir for the post. Will make it a point to pass it on to my friends.

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 am

Beautiful.
Not used to see or feel love looking into an eagle's eye... :agree:
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:43 am

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of Jeff and Freedom brihacharan :)

Here is a video link to the same inspiring story!

[youtube][/youtube]
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 pm

ckkalyan wrote:Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of Jeff and Freedom brihacharan :)

Here is a video link to the same inspiring story!

[youtube][/youtube]
> Thanks Kalyan for sharing the video :D
Briha

gaurav0101
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gaurav0101 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Nice story... thanks brihaji for sharing it...
Gaurav

caracass77
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by caracass77 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 am

For all my indifference, I am a soppy SOB. :(

Thank you sir. Absolutely magical.

Shubir.