The maneater that stood it's ground

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The maneater that stood it's ground

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:06 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Prashant, > Bravo & well done :D > Hats off to your tenacity & patience, an accomplishment worthy of honor & applause :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Briha
+1 :agree:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
pradeep.kumar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep.kumar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:51 pm

prashantsingh wrote: Now we had the leopard on the left of the machaan.
It was a female and around the same size as we had assessed.
Zaheer, Singh and Shahid could see the whole display clearly from the ridge and had no idea why we were not taking the shot.
"Shoot Dr. Shoot Arjun. What the fu## are you guys doing. " said Singh.
Prashantji, A gripping narration of the whole incident!! The statements in above quote says clearly, how mesmerizing the unfortunate cat should have been.. I was able to visualize myself being there with the same feeling!! And how painful it should have been for you and your team to have hunted it!!
Regards,
Pradeep

caracass77
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by caracass77 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 pm

The most lovely story I have come to. Reminded me of my grandfather's accounts, and I wish he were alive for me to narrate this to him.I wish I could post some of his exploits. His Paan Singh story. I was surprised and saddened when the movie came out; not how he told it :).

Beautiful, sir.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 pm

The maneater was shot on the 23rd of January. It's been more than a month since the animal was shot. All attacks on humans have stopped. Confirming the right animal was killed. A few days later Mr Tomar. A local resident who lives in the area reported the sighting of another leopard. A bigger animal . Probably a male. I assured him that this animal was not the killer, but had probably come in search of its mate (the female we shot). The male was spotted on 4 nights in a row . But quietly left without causing any harm.
Maneaters and not made .... a dime a dozen.....any one shooting more than one animal in the same area has surely bloched up somewhere.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:32 am

Prashant, it is good to hear that damages are at an en, both for the villagers and for the leopards.

That was a great bit of work on your part and the part of your associates.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:14 pm

prashantsingh wrote:The maneater was shot on the 23rd of January. It's been more than a month since the animal was shot. All attacks on humans have stopped. Confirming the right animal was killed. A few days later Mr Tomar. A local resident who lives in the area reported the sighting of another leopard. A bigger animal . Probably a male. I assured him that this animal was not the killer, but had probably come in search of its mate (the female we shot). The male was spotted on 4 nights in a row . But quietly left without causing any harm.
Maneaters and not made .... a dime a dozen.....any one shooting more than one animal in the same area has surely bloched up somewhere.
Hi Prashant,
> On a lighter note...."Can a Leopard change his Spots"? ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha