Bison at Bandipur - Karnataka

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Bison at Bandipur - Karnataka

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

This picture was forwarded to me by a friend.
The sheer magnificence of this majestic animal so captivated me that I thought of sharing it with you guys!

The gaur (Indian Bison) is one of the larger of the wild cattle, and individuals can reach over 2 meters high at the shoulder. The sleek, dark coat is black in mature males and dark brown in females and juveniles.

The legs are light colored and there is a ridge of grey between the horns. These cattle are extremely heavyset and bulky; they have a large shoulder hump and a dewlap of skin under the chin reaching between the forelegs.

Both sexes bear horns that are yellow with black tips; the horns leave at the side of the head and curve upwards growing up to 80cms in length.

Height at the shoulder: 1.7 - 2.2 m
Body length: 2.5 - 3.3 m,
Weight 1,000 kg approx.

They live in small herds of up to 40 individuals, led by a mature bull. Usually active during the day, in areas of extensive human contact gaurs have developed more nocturnal habits. During the mating season the males' loud bellowing call may be heard over 1.6kms away. :D
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Bison at Bandipur - Karnataka

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:46 pm

Nice photograph. Specially taken in the wild.

Atul

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 am

Briha, that is a very impressive specimen! I would hate to run afoul of this fellow. Are they all over India, or in certain areas? I had never thought of India having something like Cape Buffalo. Was there shikar on these in the old days? And what of ancient times? Is Nandi really one of these, or some other sort of bovine?

Very interesting, thanks!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 am

timmy wrote:Briha, that is a very impressive specimen! I would hate to run afoul of this fellow. Are they all over India, or in certain areas? I had never thought of India having something like Cape Buffalo. Was there shikar on these in the old days? And what of ancient times? Is Nandi really one of these, or some other sort of bovine?
Very interesting, thanks!
Yes Timmy, this Bison(Gaur as is known in India) appears very impressive, looks as if this fellow posed for his 'portrait' :D
They are found in Karnataka & Maharashtra mainly.
There were permits issued to hunt them a long time ago - in fact quite a few govt. guest houses used to display their mounted heads (mostly shot by erstwhile British gentry).
Now they are protected & no licences are issued to hunt them - a blanket ban.
This species belong to the ɡaʊər/, Bos Gaurus), also called Indian bison, is the largest bovine, native to South Asia and Southeast Asia.
While 'Nandi' belongs to the genus of Bos Taurus
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Was lucky to see one of these guys in bandipur. It was a huge male. The fellow decided to have a meal right in the middle of the road a few feet away from us. Upclose he looked gigantic and even the jeep with all of us in it looked puny in comparison.

The cape buffaloes didnt look near as impressive or imposing.
Size comparison between the two:

http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/shado ... n.jpg.html

Lock, Stock and Barrel.