Bharatpur Keoladeo National Park- End of an era?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Bharatpur Keoladeo National Park- End of an era?

Post by Lanceman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Went to Bharatpur early this year, and came away with mixed feelings, happy to be at such an old and famous site; but very sad at the way it is being treated. If you would like to read about my impressions here's the link.
http://xerxespa.blogspot.in/2015/07/bha ... il-of.html
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Bharatpur Keoladeo National Park- End of an era?

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 pm

A great write up, Sir! Very touching. The indictment of the old-time "hunters" and the modern-day tourists is fantastic!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Lanceman wrote:Went to Bharatpur early this year, and came away with mixed feelings, happy to be at such an old and famous site; but very sad at the way it is being treated. If you would like to read about my impressions here's the link.
http://xerxespa.blogspot.in/2015/07/bha ... il-of.html
Xerxes,

You have truly sounded the "Wake UP Call"....
Very well documented & presented....
Yes sir....Hubert Reeves said it all....
"Man is the most insane of species, who worships an 'Unseen GOD,' yet slaughters a 'Visible Nature'!!!
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Even after the hunting was banned, the place has still not been given its true value. In fact I also owned a farm just opposite the Bird Sanctuary, but sold it off just before the construction was banned.
But today also there is an informal shooting range a few kms down the road where the Civilian Fire Arms training is given by the Home Guards.

Atul

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:12 pm

I have very fond memories of Bharatpur. My maternal grandparents stayed at a 15 min walk from Ghana as it was more commonly called. The family's haveli is pictured in the Salim Ali museum in the sanctuary. Special permission had to be taken from my grandfather for the kids to walk there and an elder, very reluctantly, accompanied us. The attempts to keep the kids together were almost always fruitless. The stories of dinners in Moti Mahal (Bharatpur's palace), shikar and guns and jeeps were aplenty. There were a lot less humans and a lot more birds including the Siberian Cranes that I had the fortune to spot often. I've seen the surroundings change considerably and this winters I gave the place a visit. Very little remains of the serenity this place once offered.

Thanks for sharing this, Lanceman