The fashionate trekker

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

The fashionate trekker

Post by Lanceman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 pm

http://xerxespa.blogspot.in/2015/08/the ... ekker.html

on my of my treks I find enthusiastic but inexperienced trekkers weighed down physically and metaphorically by wrong equipment. This guide is aimed at giving a set of pointers allowing you to enjoy your trek.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The fashionate trekker

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Lanceman wrote:http://xerxespa.blogspot.in/2015/08/the ... ekker.html

On my of my treks I find enthusiastic but inexperienced trekkers weighed down physically and metaphorically by wrong equipment. This guide is aimed at giving a set of pointers allowing you to enjoy your trek.
A very precise yet practical information for all those aspiring "Passionate' trekkers :D
The intervening photographs (awesome images) make the reading easy and also to understand the importance of the 'DOs & 'Don'ts' !!!!
Thanks Xerxes for sharing these nuggets :D
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Lanceman,
Another excellent article.
Water bottles and water-purification tablets. I have personal experience when I tell you that no matter how clear a mountain stream looks, someone is surely defecating or urinating into it upstream.
So True!
No matter where in the world you go, you will encounter this.
In most countries, you cannot trust the tap water either.
On my of my treks I find enthusiastic but inexperienced trekkers weighed down physically and metaphorically by wrong equipment.
Once, I heard a dull clanging on the trail. Then a guy walked by with a huge cast iron frying pan dangling from the back of his pack!
Maybe he liked to cook on the trail... but cast iron?

Prospective Hikers,
Another very important item is socks.
Whatever you do, do not wear cotton socks. As Lanceman mentions, you will regret it.
When cotton gets wet, it chafes and where it chafes, you will get a blister.
The first thing that many serious hikers will tell you is "Cotton Kills". That is especially true up here in the northern parts of the USA.

Some tricks that I was taught at NIM in Uttarkashi, about socks:
1. When it is cold enough to wear wool socks, wear a pair of nylon dress socks under them.
The nylon will wick away sweat and will provide a smooth relatively blister free experience for your feet.
2. Prior to wearing them, wash your (clean) wool socks with a mild detergent like Woolite or Dreft (not sure anymore what the Indian equivalents are) and just wring them out and dry them (instead of rinsing). This will help with chafing.

When I buy a pair of hiking shoes, I make sure that they will fit while wearing a thick pair of hiking socks.
Your feet must not be able to slide around in your shoes. When you tighten the laces, your feet must be immobile in your shoes.
I try to buy hiking socks that have some wool content in them. A decent summer pair might have something like 45% Acrylic, 40% Merino Wool, 13% Nylon, 2% Spandex. For winter, I like to increase the wool content and wear a pair of dress socks under.

I have been hiking since the 1970's and I have never had a blister. I've been sore many times but no actual blisters.
Watch this, now that I've said it; Mr. Murphy will be working overtime to prove me wrong.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:37 pm

XL, I underline what you say, underline it yet again. Further to the the not rinsing socks trick; if you feel a hotspot coming, rub a sliver of soap on the sock above the hotspot, it lubricates and banishes the hotspot.
As you Americans say, there are guys who want to backpack the kitchen sink!
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.