FISHING IN KOLKATA

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

FISHING IN KOLKATA

Post by ASIF007 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am

Any fellow members from this forum who are also interested in Fishing in and around Kolkata. We could meet sometimes to find good angling spots.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: FISHING IN KOLKATA

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:37 am

Hi Asif, I want to explore fishing in my native village. Please guide me with this sport/hobby. What equipment is required? We have an artificial lake, Ranjit Sagar Reservoir.

Regards

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Honestly Vikram I cannot claim to be an expert in angling. However I have enjoyed pond and lake fishing occasionally for last 4-5 years.
Firstly you need a lot of patience. Days will go you wont hook any fish and some lucky day you will hook a 15-20 pound one and compensate for the dry days. Secondly you need good equipment not necessary expensive ones. Here in Kolkata there is a place called Sealdah ( just like the century old Gun shops in Dalhousie) which has fish shops over 100 years old and easily available rods, reels, lines, hooks & baits far cheaper than online shops. Maybe someday when you get more interested you may prepare your own secret baits.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:42 am

Our local lake has lot of potential. And I have seen lots of fish there. I can't find anyone who can guide me in fishing in my State. I looked online, Decathlon has wide range of equipment but I don't know which one I require to fish in a Lake. I have seen trout fishing in Kashmir and Bani, it is totally different thing. I would feel lucky if someone can teach me physically.

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Vikram you need to find someone from your state for physical guidance which should not be a big problem. As of Lake fishing you need a litte investment of Rs. 5000(approx). 2 ordinary rods and reels to start with. Buy a good Monofilament Line of Berkey/Daiwa make and good hooks. Check online at "www.fishingtackleindia.com" .

hillsman
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hillsman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 pm

I would suggest trying to identify the species of fish in the lake and invest in a set up that can attract/entice them. i would stay away from declathon rods. do a bit of research and get the proper gear according to the target fish.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm

ASIF007 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:20 pm
Vikram you need to find someone from your state for physical guidance which should not be a big problem. As of Lake fishing you need a litte investment of Rs. 5000(approx). 2 ordinary rods and reels to start with. Buy a good Monofilament Line of Berkey/Daiwa make and good hooks. Check online at "www.fishingtackleindia.com" .
I need to find someone. I'll try that. Thanks
hillsman wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 pm
I would suggest trying to identify the species of fish in the lake and invest in a set up that can attract/entice them. i would stay away from declathon rods. do a bit of research and get the proper gear according to the target fish.
I was also thinking of that. Actually the lake is artificial so I was not able to find the list of fish species in my area. Thanks for suggestion.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm

In India, the most popular fish that is stocked in artificial lakes/ ponds is one or more varieties of carp. They are a good fish to learn on, simple atta (wheat flour) balls flavoured with biscuit crumbs work well with carp. Set up with a float and small baited hook and try your luck :)

If you're lucky, the lake will have murrel/ sol (snakehead), for those you would be best served with using scrum frog lures or even spinners.
Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein