From Sweden!

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

From Sweden!

Post by SMJ » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... imals.html

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: From Sweden!

Post by eljefe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Sweden has had a long history and an old culture of hunting. It’s only now in the Vegan,soy latte, man bun politically correct yuga that hunting is vilified. More power to his elbow
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Dad has the right approach.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Really I like the Initiative by this Man. they have the right to enjoy the nature for generations.
Regards

Shivaji

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:54 pm

As expected in the UK

10 comments for the DM article. 5 against 3 for and 2 neutral.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Right now, a lot of Swedish hunters are selling their hunting rifles, which often end up on the international surplus market. Still somewhat common are Rolling blocks, originally made by Remington, Husqvarna, and Carl Gustav in 12.7mm x 44mm and 8mm x 58mm rimmed Danish. Also, series of Husqvarna single shot bolt action rifles used to be available in 25-20, 32-20, 30-30, and 45-70, but these have all been bought up and are somewhat hard to find. Mine is the "moose rifle" in 45-70. The following pictures are of a Model 45 in 45-70, but mine doesn't have the rust speckling this one does, and is nicer, I think:

So, I'm sorry to say that this Swedish tradition mentioned in the article is sadly fading in Sweden.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:26 pm

What Mauser is this Husky based on , Timmy?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:52 am

El Jefe:

This may be a bit controversial in some circles, but I don't think that the Husqvarna single shot bolt action rifles are based on any Mauser action. The common reponse on gun boards, like the one I got before I bought my rifle, is that they are based on the 1871 Mauser action. True, they are locked by a single guide rib to which the bolt handle is attached, and true, they have a "flag" or "wing" safety on the bolt, like Mausers do, but that's about where the similarity ends, I think.

Mainly, they have a one piece bolt. You'll note that the 11871 Mauser, like most every early bolt action, has a two-piece bolt that's held together by a large screw. To remove the bolt, one takes out the screw and separates the bolt pieces, and then the rear part of the bolt can be withdrawn and the front part of the bolt removed from the ejection port.

In these Husqvarna rifles, one only needs to hold the trigger back as in a Mosin Nagant or a bolt action 22 to withdraw the bolt from the receiver -- most unlike an 1871 Mauser. While you can easily figure out how the firing pin conpresses a spring in the rear part of an 1871 Mauser, how does this work in these rifles, where the front of the bolt is solid? Now that is the $64,000 question. Apparently, the striker nut is removed from the striker, and there is a piece that is either threaded or otherwise attached to the rear, open part of the bolt, either threaded or otherwise, that holds the firing pin spring in the bolt body and against which the spring is compressed.

One website thread advises removing the striker nut with a pair of pliers, and then the piece at the back of the bolt can be removed with a special tool. These rifles, though crude and simple, are very nicely made and finished, and you can easily imagine that I'm not about to go bubba-ing around with a pair of pliers on it!!!

Also, the extractor has a dovetail in the center of it, which rides in a corresponding groove near the front of the bolt. It is stationary in rotation by a groove on the inside of the receiver, but removing the bolt allows the extractor to be rotated further than when it's in the action, so the dovetail on the extractor aligns with a hole drilled into the groove in the bolt. The extractor easily falls out of the bolt when it's removed from the action, and many, perhaps at least half of the ones you find for sale, are missing their extractors -- buyer beware.

The bolt is relatively small in diameter; about the diameter of an SMLE. It is said that the smaller calibers have a smaller action than the 45-70, but I've never held or personally seen any of the other models, so I can't confirm this. As it is, my 45-70 would remind you most of a 22 rifle, except for the thicker octagon barrel.

In fact, the whole rifle would remind you of a 22. It is very light and swings like a small 410 shotgun. My brother remarked on how shooting it would be somewhat unpleasant, and I'm sure that full power 400 and 500 grain loads would be fearful to shoot, based on my shooting big loads in an 1895 Marlin lever gun. But, I have a Lyman "collar button" boolit mould for casting 150 grain loads that were used back in the 19th century for gallery practice. My intention is to literally use this thing as a big 22.

If I ever get my camera running again, I'll post some pics of my own rifle.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman