A Tribute to our Legendary Hunters and wild life lovers who never come in lime light

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

A Tribute to our Legendary Hunters and wild life lovers who never come in lime light

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:12 pm

I have come across few of the Legendary personality related with Hunting and wild life and surprisingly we have very few details available on them.

I would like to start this with the Famed Elephant Catcher/Trapper and Hunter Late Shri Prakritis Barua or Lalji. while searching for a book on him, I come to know about this wonderful Person in Depth.

Name:-- Shri Prakritish Barua or Lalji
Birth:-1st May 1914
Death:-2nd Apr 1988
Father:- Raja Prabath Chandra Barua of Gauripur Royalty.
Mother:- Name not available.
Brothers and Sisters:- Prince Pramathes Barua ( Famous actor and director of silent movie age), Prince Pranavesh Barua ( also a hunter), Princes Nihar Bala Barua no other details is available.
Children:- Pratima Barua Pandey ( Famous classical Singer), Prabir Barua, Parvati Barua ( only Female elephant Catcher in South East asia on Record and She is Famous for Handling Rouge Elephants in north east ), Details of Other children is not available to me.

Started hunting at the age of 7 years Lalji shot his First tiger at an age of 11 yrs 10 months. ( actually a Tigress). Place Valuki camp, Assam. Date 11/02/1926

His record size tiger he shot at an age of Twelve and Half years Date: 22/02/1927. the size of that Tiger Was 10 ft and 5 Inch.
Both of this hunt was on a elephant Named "Mayalu".

His personal palace is by the name of Matia bagh Palace in Gauripur, Dhubri dist. Assam.

Total Tiger Killed by Lalji was 341
Leopard : 100+
Elephant trapped and trained by Lalji :- 1009.

He is a legendary Elephant Trapper/Catcher as well he used to train Elephants from Different Royal Families. at his Young age he stopped hunting and Totally involved in Elephant trapping which was finally turned out as his profession.

Unfortunately there is very few Information is available about him on the net.

One book on him is by the name "50 years with the Elephants" and second is a diary written by Lalji himself in printed Form Named "Habi Jabi" in Bengali or Tits and Bits if we translate in English.
lalji.jpg
lalji 2.jpg
With-Lalji.jpg
matia bagh palace.jpg
Nihar Bala barua.jpg
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: A Tribute to our Legendary Hunters and wild life lovers who never come in lime light

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm

I would like to clarify that my simple intention is to highlight the glorious histories of these personalities and as there are very few information is available so if there is any mistake then kindly correct me.
Regards

Shivaji

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: A Tribute to our Legendary Hunters and wild life lovers who never come in lime light

Post by pran80 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm

@Shivaji.Dasgupta,
Thanks a lot bro, this will turn out to be another amazing thread from you. Coming to Lalji's daughter, sometime back i had chanced across an article on her. Here is the link to the same for everyone https://www.thebetterindia.com/18228/th ... nts-assam/
Keep updating this thread as you research further.
Cheers,
Pranjal

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Great Pranjal and thanks a lot. I got some information from this article.
As my job required a lot of traveling so when ever I am free during my tour I use to search different old documents and books in libraries and markets in Eastern India, Rajasthan and parts of North.
Many ref. Of incidents, freedom fighters, forgotten battles, hunters and their stories come in knowledge but again the available information is so little as it is not helpful to write something on that.
I got some information about a priest from north east who was a good hunter and slain a good no of man eater and cattle lifters. Also a good lot of other animals. Presently working on that. Hopefully will complete it shortly.
Regards

Shivaji

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Thanks for this share Shivaji.Dasgupta- wonder if you have seen this thread

viewtopic.php?t=2048&start=30

During the late 60's the the FD used to call upon my uncle for man eating tigers or leopards that were a problem around the Dang forest areas of Gujarat. Now that I think about it maybe that's where I inherited my love for shikar stories and guns I guess..

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Yes SMJ. Good to hear you.
I have downloaded many books mentioned in this thread. It was really an excellent initiative by the senior members. I am just trying to add something which is not covered yet.

Particularly British and European hunters record their exp. In a systematic manner but many of the sikaris from our own country never bother to maintain a record.
I feel that they deserve to receive few words on them on net platforms.
By the way SMJ I am sure your uncle must have shared his exp. With your family members, why not you share that in the group, I mean if it's possible for you of course.
Regards

Shivaji

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi Shivaji,

There is a member in this forum who might be related to Late Shri Prakritis Barua or Lalji family. He is Guhawati, Assam based, owns elephants and is into wildlife conservation. He seems not to be active on forum currently & owns some interesting weapons.

Cheers
Biren

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am

Here is one more Name from the Golden Era when wild life and Human were very closed to Each Other. Due to necessity Some times it was unavoidable to shot down few animals which is turned to be harmful for the people living at that place. This story is exactly of same type of Hunter who hunts only when a Animal is proved to be Harmful for Villagers and sometimes for food.

Name: Monsignor Michael D'Costa.
Date of Birth: Unknown
Death: Unknown
Details Available:-- Monsignor Michael D'Costa was Associated with Church and the Christian Mission in British India as well Bangladesh. Possibly he was a missionary though I don't able to gather much Details about him, Except that he was incharge of Various Missions across Assam and Bengal as well North east parts of India. The Missions he was associated with were Mothbari Mission, Tumilia Mission, Jalsatra Mission, Baluchara Mission, Rangbuk Mission, Andharkota Mission, Ruhia Mission. Garo Hills, Kata Bari, Baromari , Ranikhong Etc Mission.
He has shot approx 66+ leopard ( surprisingly Not a single Bengal Tiger he shot and he clearly Mention that in his Book) and uncounted no of wild boars, Deer and Bird as a source of Meat for Missionaries. What I can understand from his narration that he used to shot a leopard only when it appeared as a threat for the people.
He was Fluent in Bengali, Assamese, Mandi, Khasi and the Tribal Languages of Garo hills and other Parts of North East.

His weapon was mainly a 12G Double barrel Greener Shotgun, though Later on an English Couple gifted him A rifle, a shotgun and a Pistol. As per details, Monsignor Michael D'Costa helped that English Couple who wanted to shot a Tiger, During that Hunt The Englishman and Monsignor Michael D'Costa fall from the "machan" and the English man was injured. Monsignor Michael D'Costa helped him to return to the mission and arranged for his treatment as a token of thanks when the couple was returning from India, they send their weapons to Monsignor Michael D'Costa through Manton and co.
I got three More Names who were also good hunters and associated with Church.

1. Father Marcus: No details available About him but he was also associated with Missionaries. He shot 56 Bengal Tigers but no leopards ( Reason is unknown)
2. John Cartechrist: His designation is Unknown. as per Mention he was also a good Hunter
3. Father Edd Masart: He too was a hunter and Accompanied Monsignor Michael D'Costa in some of the hunting adventures.

His only book was Published from Dhaka on May 79, Through the Missionary Official Press of that time i.e Pratibesi Office. Most of the Mentioned Missions were either Closed or now Run By Church. I have sent mails to Pratibeshi Office Mail ID for More Details about these Persons but as of Now No reply received. No Other Details are available On the Net.

I have got Few Images but not able to attach as our site is not allowing to attach even 180KB size file
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:47 pm

IMG_20210818_154243.jpg
IMG_20210818_154312.jpg
IMG_20210818_154213.jpg
Pictures of Monsignor D Costa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 pm

The legendary Rogue jumbo Hunter and wildlife photographer Mr. Dinesh Choudhury.

Name: Dinesh Choudhury
Native place: Guwahati Assam
Date of birth: not known
Death: 19/01/2021 aged 76.

He is a famous Elephant expert, Rogue jumbo hunter and on later life wild life photographer. He completed his college from at. Edmunds college shillong Meghalaya. Later on he studied from National Dairy Research institute Bangalore.
He worked for Dairy development department Assam and purabi Dairy.
No. of books and documentaries have been made on his work. Choudhury is the central figure in the book " To the. Elephant Graveyard" by Tarquin Hall.
He used a Winchester .458 Magnam rifle. But later on he was settled with photography only.
His dedication for wildlife conservation is respected by all the wildlife lovers.
His total kills of Rogue jumbos is not mentioned properly but what I find out is it's 12+ ( may be this no will change if I get the correct data) no other animal hunting record is available for him.
images (22).jpeg
images (21).jpeg
images (19).jpeg
The picture of this rifle I got while searching the details about late Mr. Choudhury. I am not sure about this is the same rifle he used or not.
If any member has any more information about Mr. Dinesh Choudhury then kindly share the same.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:55 pm

I got this photo and not able to resist myself to post this in our esteemed forum.
This historical photo was clicked when legendary Hunter Jim Corbett accompanied Capt. Freddie young and his deputy Simmon Paris to nab famous dacoit sultana. This was clicked somewhere near Nazibabad of UP. This particular hunt was unsuccessful and on a lunch break some one clicked this photograph.
From left Simmon Paris, Freddie Young and Jim Corbett in extreme right.
IMG_20211219_204057.jpg
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:11 pm

I am extremely sorry that in this photograph, only the name of British people was there in the description. The name of Indian security personnel present in this photograph is not mentioned anywhere . sadly I am unable to give their details. One of the Indians present in this photo may be Munshi Abdul Razzack who assisted Freddie Young in his mission and it's his family in Bijnour who gave this photograph to a BBC reporter who was working on Daku sultana's article.
Regards

Shivaji

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:31 pm

Really a very nice article. Thanks.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 pm
The legendary Rogue jumbo Hunter and wildlife photographer Mr. Dinesh Choudhury.

Name: Dinesh Choudhury
Native place: Guwahati Assam
Date of birth: not known
Death: 19/01/2021 aged 76.

He is a famous Elephant expert, Rogue jumbo hunter and on later life wild life photographer. He completed his college from at. Edmunds college shillong Meghalaya. Later on he studied from National Dairy Research institute Bangalore.
He worked for Dairy development department Assam and purabi Dairy.
No. of books and documentaries have been made on his work. Choudhury is the central figure in the book " To the. Elephant Graveyard" by Tarquin Hall.
He used a Winchester .458 Magnam rifle. But later on he was settled with photography only.
His dedication for wildlife conservation is respected by all the wildlife lovers.
His total kills of Rogue jumbos is not mentioned properly but what I find out is it's 12+ ( may be this no will change if I get the correct data) no other animal hunting record is available for him.
images (22).jpeg
images (21).jpeg
images (19).jpeg
The picture of this rifle I got while searching the details about late Mr. Choudhury. I am not sure about this is the same rifle he used or not.
If any member has any more information about Mr. Dinesh Choudhury then kindly share the same.

I had the good fortune to meet him and buy a fishing rod from him. Turned out later that he was related. He has been covered by National Geographic. He did switch to a newer Ruger rifle later, if I recall correctly. He was a very humble man with loads of tales to narrate.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:37 am

Wow, it would really be a privilege and pleasure to sit with this fellow and listen to his yarns. When I was young, I had an uncle who was an avid hunter. I loved sitting with him and listening to his tales. (However, he didn't qualify for the description of"a very humble man," sadly.) My brother later spent a lot more time with him. Not being married or raising a family, he had the time to do so for just this purpose.

What an interesting thread! Thanks to all who have shared and Shivaji for starting it.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman