Moose: the gentle creatures of nature

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Moose: the gentle creatures of nature

Post by timmy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:06 am

from: https://news.yahoo.com/moose-attacks-id ... 49158.html
Associated Press
Moose attacks Iditarod rookie's sled team, injures 4 dogs
MARK THIESSEN
Tue, February 8, 2022, 2:15 PM·5 min read
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A large bull moose spent more than an hour stomping on the sled dog team of a rookie Iditarod musher in the wilds of Alaska last week — and the attack didn't end even after Bridgett Watkins emptied her gun into the animal.

She said on Facebook Friday that the moose, after seriously injuring four of her dogs, wouldn't leave and that the ordeal stopped only after she called friends for help and one showed up with a high powered rifle and killed the moose with one shot.

“This has been the most horrific past 24 hours of my life,” she posted after the Thursday moose attack on the Salcha River trail system near Fairbanks.

But just days later, her four dogs are on the mend and she's back training with the others.

“This isn’t what I was planning for, but these dogs and myself have trained for so long and so hard for this race ... when I walk back out to my dog yard and I have 12 perfectly healthy dogs out of the 16 and they look at me and all they want to do is run, how can I tell them no?" she told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “That would be selfish of me.”

“These are freaking amazing athletes that just survived probably the most traumatic experience of any dog team ever in history, and they’re survivors and they’re still pushing through," she added.

Watkins said that the attack, first reported by the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, happened while she was on a 52-mile (83.7-kilometer) training run for the nearly 1,000-mile (1,609-kilometer) Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. It starts March 5 in Anchorage.

"As he charged me I emptied my gun into him and he never stopped,” she wrote on Facebook. “I ran for my life and prayed I was fast enough to not be killed in that moment. He trampled the team and then turned for us.”

Watkins said she and a friend who was trailing her on a snowmobile took refuge next to the snowmobile.

The moose stopped its charge toward them about 2 feet (0.6 meters) from the snowmobile and she managed to cut free six dogs that were tied to the machine.

But the moose went back to her sled and began stomping the dogs that were still tethered to it — standing over the dogs and trampling them repeatedly for over an hour.

“I have never felt so helpless in my life,” Watkins wrote. “He would not leave us alone and he even stood over top of the team refusing to retreat.”

She called friends and the moose was shot and killed after one arrived with a rifle.

Alaska State Troopers had been preparing a helicopter to respond but stopped doing so after they were told the moose was dead, agency spokesperson Tim DeSpain said in an email.

Her four injured dogs were taken to a veterinarian in the nearby community of North Pole and are recovering, Watkins posted.

Watkins, a native of Arkansas who moved to Alaska when she was 5, is no stranger to mushing or its dangers. Her father and step-mother are well-known mushers Allen Moore and Aliy Zirkle.

In the 2016 Iditarod, Zirkle and four-time winner Jeff King were attacked by a man on a snowmobile near the community of Nulato. One dog on King’s team was killed and two others were injured.

Another famous tale of a musher’s run-in with an angry moose happened in the 1985 Iditarod — when the late Susan Butcher came across one while she was leading the race.

She used her ax and a parka to fight off the moose, but it killed two of her dogs and injured 13 others. Another musher came along and killed the moose.

She had to withdraw from the race, but later won four Iditarod races. Butcher died in 2006 from leukemia at age 51.

“It is never a musher's intention to go out and kill an animal,” Watkins told the AP.

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

“People have a lot of negative comments about what I should or should not have been doing but they’re not the people on the back of that sled,” she said.

“It’s not that I wasn’t prepared. I wasn’t prepared to kill a moose, that’s correct,” Watkins said. “It’s not my intention to go around in February and hunt and kill an animal. This is like worst-case scenario defending my life.”

She did carry a .380 caliber gun because there are few people where she trains, and she keeps it to to deter or scare off animals. She has since upgraded to a larger caliber firearm after it didn't stop the moose.

“That would be asinine to go back out there on the same trail, the same place, and not have a gun where I can’t truly put down an animal if I have to,” she said.

The experience has rattled her, but it’s really no different than what other people face, she said.

“I’m just trying to face those fears every day because they’re there. It’s not that I’m not scared and I’m not terrified and that I don’t nearly have a panic attack when I’m on the sled and I think I see a moose in front of me," she said.

"It’s not that those things aren’t occurring ... people have these situations in their life all the time. They’re just different obstacles that they have to overcome, and this is mine, and this is my story, and I just hope that I can be inspiring.”

Meat from the moose that attacked her dogs was donated to charity.
Here are my thoughts, upon reading this article:
“This isn’t what I was planning for, but these dogs and myself have trained for so long and so hard for this race ... when I walk back out to my dog yard and I have 12 perfectly healthy dogs out of the 16 and they look at me and all they want to do is run, how can I tell them no?" she told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “That would be selfish of me.”

“These are freaking amazing athletes that just survived probably the most traumatic experience of any dog team ever in history, and they’re survivors and they’re still pushing through," she added.
Because the dogs have trained so hard and because they are "amazing athletes," does this entitle them to enter the moose's territory and expect a free pass? The moose's evolutionary and instinctive enemy are wolves, and why any sensible person would expect a moose to react any differently is beyond my understanding.

The additional information in the article makes clear that this is not an isolated incident. As my Grandmother used to say, "a word to the wise is sufficient." Past incidents have not been enough, in this case, to inform the musher (dog sled racer), therefore, I must come to the inevitable conclusion in this case.

But we don't have the background story of the moose, do we? I mean in the sense that he may have been an "amazing athlete" and a "survivor." Why wouldn't we assume that the moose is entitled to do what he did?
She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

“People have a lot of negative comments about what I should or should not have been doing but they’re not the people on the back of that sled,” she said.

“It’s not that I wasn’t prepared. I wasn’t prepared to kill a moose, that’s correct,” Watkins said. “It’s not my intention to go around in February and hunt and kill an animal. This is like worst-case scenario defending my life.”

She did carry a .380 caliber gun because there are few people where she trains, and she keeps it to to deter or scare off animals. She has since upgraded to a larger caliber firearm after it didn't stop the moose.

“That would be asinine to go back out there on the same trail, the same place, and not have a gun where I can’t truly put down an animal if I have to,” she said.
Firstly, the idea that a gun could go off with the jostling of the sled only shows ignorance of firearms, as such an idea is pure rubbish!

Secondly, she points out that she was prepared: "It's not that I wasn't prepared." Then, she says it would be "asinine" to go back without a gun that couldn't put down a moose "if I have to." This is nothing more than an admission that she was not prepared.

Saying that she wasn't prepared to kill a moose, and then saying that when she returned, she would be ready to put down an animal if she had to shows that she wasn't prepared to defend herself in the first place.

Carrying a 380 Auto for the purpose of dealing with moose is total stupidity -- willful ignorance! For example, what keeps it from going off with all of the jostling? Anyway, a cartridge and firearm that is often considered marginal for dealing with people can hardly be looked at as adequate for dealing with an Alaskan moose, which grow to be 10 times the size of average people.

As Humphrey Bogart notes in the movie, The Big Sleep many people think that "a gat in the hand means the world by the tail."

I not only call out this woman for stupidity about guns and about wild animals and nature, but also for acting as if what she does is something that she's entitled to because she trains hard and it is her dream to do it.

Also, however, it does give a little insight on the world of nature, and the things that may be encountered when traveling amidst its beauty and wonder. There are both peaceful and savage sides to nature.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Moose: the gentle creatures of nature

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:17 pm

Agree, Tim.

The dogs do not want to go dragging someone for miles on unless they are trained to do so and made to do it. The moose was doing what it was hard-wired for.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Moose: the gentle creatures of nature

Post by Martin Clarke » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:01 am

Tim,
She probably has no idea of the dangers in the wild expanses of Alaska, and I think she probably missed every shot too!
All she is consumed with is running her dogs till they are falling off their feet, while she sits comfortably on the sled.
She should practice with the larger caliber gun before she ventures out again. She also says "I just hope that I can be inspiring" -
after doing things the wrong way!!