In Kerala shooters helping farmers in Culling Wild Boars

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

In Kerala shooters helping farmers in Culling Wild Boars

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:35 pm

Shooters’ team helps harried farmers by culling wild boars

The team, comprising six shooters, a few dogs and their handlers, is quick to respond to calls for help from local bodies across the State. The ferreting out of boars and their culling require meticulous planning, says team leader Shan

March 20, 2023 08:24 pm | Updated 08:51 pm IST - KASARAGOD

C.P.SAJIT

A team of shooters and dog-handlers are in great demand among State farmers harried by the recurrent attacks of wild boars. Recently, when the Enmakaje grama panchayat used the power entrusted to local bodies by the Forest department to cull wild boars, for the first time in Kasaragod district, it was K.P. Shan from Malappuram and his team who was summoned for the task.

Mr. Shan told The Hindu that his team comprised 30 people. Apart from Mr. Shan, there are five shooters — Ali Nellengara, Devakumar Varikath, Chadran Varikath, V.J. Thomas, and Suresh Babu. Then, there are those who handle the dogs for the culling operation. Most team members are professional shooters and are part of rifle clubs. They come from Malappuram, Mankada, Perinthalmanna, and Ottappalam. “Some are into business, some are farmers. But when our service is needed, we assist panchayats anywhere in the State in culling wild boars,” said Mr. Shan.

Forest dept. directive
They began culling wild boars about four years ago when the Forest department was looking for shooters. Since 2022, they have been helping panchayats which have now been given the right to cull the boars with the knowledge of the Forest department.

“Since then we have killed about 450 wild boars in places such as Malappuram, Thrissur, Palakkad, and Kasaragod,” he said. They have received requests from Wayanad, Ottappalam, and Kollam too. Mr. Shan said that culling required a lot of preparation and meticulous planning. “We have to go around the village and identify the most affected places and find the animals’ hiding places.”

Large area, large team
The size of the team depends on the area. While many places have so far required a smaller team, in places like Kasaragod where the animals have 10 acres of land to hide, a bigger team is needed. They identify the animals through pugmarks. “The shooters avoid killing the piglets and sow. The marauding older ones are killed. We have trained native dog breeds that are suited for the climatic conditions and are capable of ferreting out boars from their hiding places,” he said.

‘Risk worth taking’
“One never knows from where the animal will leap out. At times, they charge at you. Some of the team members have been injured during operations,” he said. However, the team is willing to take the risk as it would provide some succour to the farmer, who has no other solution in hand, he added. The culled boars are handed over to the Forest department.

The team does not charge for their service, and the expenses are taken care of by the local bodies.

Link: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 642367.ece

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: In Kerala shooters helping farmers in Culling Wild Boars

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:06 pm

It's good initiative but how they got the permit for culling. It's a tedious process.
In my knowledge if the population of a certain species is more than the defined no. In specific area then option1. They should be driven to another area to maintain tge population
Option 2. Medical procedures for birth control some times.
Option 3. Culling ( only when it's a threat to life and property)
But no where in India forest dept check the population neither they issue the permit for culling for any species. Smal prey which can be termed as vermin control is upto some extent easy process.
Regards

Shivaji

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Good to know that they are dealing with the issue hands on. Thank you for sharing. I do hope that the meat is not wasted.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mja
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mja » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm

Shan the great shooter who is doing excellent job helping farmers

drlizard
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by drlizard » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Vikram wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 pm
I do hope that the meat is not wasted.

My thoughts exactly.
I hope they use the meat as food and don't resort to burning or burying it.
There must be some people who would appreciate some well cooked pork.
I've heard that wild boar which is eaten in Nagaland and apparently certain parts of Assam is quite tasty.
Would be a shame to waste good food.
"Kill time before time kills you"
- Dr Ankur Baruah

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:23 pm

I agree on sparing sows, provided that they are lead a group of piglets. The sow, rather jealous of her female offsprings would like to be the first to mate. If the leading sow is culled, several young sows will mate, increasing the population.
I don't agree on sparing piglets. Besides having the best meat, today piglets are tomorrow boars and sows.
This is not my personal opinion, but the policy followed by hunters in Central Europe, where wild swines abund.