Questions on hunting in India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Questions on hunting in India

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Got some questions for you...

In which year Hunting got banned in INDIA.
Is it happened for all of INDIA at once or for some specific parts?
I heard somewhere that first Tiger Hunting was banned then other spices followed? How true is this?

Anybody?

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Questions on hunting in India

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:59 pm

AFAIK a blanket ban on hunting was imposed throughout India in 1975. This was done through legislation at the Centre by the parliament, so I would imagine that it is applicable across India.

Someone did post out here that due to J&K having a special status under the Indian constitution, there is limited legal hunting there, but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

There is some legal hunting allowed in Nepal though...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Questions on hunting in India

Post by Sujay » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:55 pm

The sporadic process of putting a stop to hunting in independent India commenced most probably in 1952. Hunting in the private preserves was gradually phased out ;for e.g. in 1964 in Keoladeo National Park Bharatpur but the Maharaja retaining hunting rights till 1972.During this period, no particular species however was selected for protection across country. The process was to declare a particular area / private game reserve a sanctuary and ban hunting.

In 1971, with the launch of Project Tiger and enactment of Indian Wildlife Act in 1972, a comprehensive ban was put on hunting. J & K was initially excluded from the scope of this Act but the exemption was removed around 1994.

In the days of Raj, a ban was put on hunting in Kaziranga in mid 20's
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.