Asif's Tackle.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Asif's Tackle.

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Fishing tackle, that is...

Finally got the fishing gear down to the office, will borrow a digicam and send you snaps today.Funny part is, picked up some hooks from Dubai 2 yrs ago, which turned out to be Mustad! size says 13 (x12 which i guess is the qty) used to use similar sizefishing in ulsoor lake 30 years ago.
Rod is Ugly stick, lite graphite, will find the bill and get the part no...reel is pflueger gold medalist pro,8 bearing,gear ratio 5.2 :1,holds 100yds of 8lb line-hope i can use12 lb line on this?have stren 1/4 lb 1000yd...In some weird non coincidence , also have a roll of sufix, 30 lb lo vis BRAID-dont ask how-stuff was picked up by a distant relative and sent to another distant relative and i picked it up 4 hrs before i flew out-hence the flurry of sos sms !
Ran into nearest Wal mart and found Eagle claw , plain shank no 4 - and 3x treble 10, NO 8 3x treble,booyah pond magic spinner bait and a plano 4600box.
floats are Thill,swivels-jeros tackle #5, allegedly will hold upto 45 lbs...
If i can pull in a 6 incher with this spectacular mismash, the next round for the house is on me!
Best
Axx

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Rod is Ugly stick, lite graphite, will find the bill and get the part no
Look at the rod, the specifications should be mentioned there. For example, 1570.210 Ugly Stik Lite. Failing which tell me the length, number of sections and casting weight.
Funny part is, picked up some hooks from Dubai 2 yrs ago, which turned out to be Mustad! size says 13
Must be really tiny. What were you catching at Ulsoor? Fingerlings? :mrgeen:
reel is pflueger gold medalist pro,8 bearing,gear ratio 5.2 :1,holds 100yds of 8lb line-hope i can use12 lb line on this?
You can use reduced capacity of 12 lb mono. Should be okay unless you get a long run.. 8 lbs. is a bit iffy for murrel in our stretches, especially for a beginners like us - far too many snags. However, I have enough 12 lb mono, so we will fill it with that. If the reel comes with a spare spool, you can put the 8 lb mono on that.
have stren 1/4 lb 1000yd
What is the breaking strength? 1/4 lb refers to the weight of the spool not the breaking strength of the line. Is this the 8 lb mono you are refering to?
In some weird non coincidence , also have a roll of sufix, 30 lb lo vis BRAID
30 lb braid has been an abject failure on our stretches. Breaks with a couple of seconds after touching rock. Only way you could use this is to use it as a backing to about 10 to 30 yards of mono. Never tried this though. Using it will also depend on the winding speed of your reel. Too fast and braid tends to accumulate at one point rather than being equally distributed.

Will get a few spinners made for you.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:58 am

Mack The Knife, feel like a rubber cheque-bounced so many times from your email!
Finally got photobucket to recognise and post:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/eljefe06/line.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... lueger.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... c01997.jpg
The rest of the goodies are being recognised as jpe, whatever that means-even though the 'properties' swear its JPG- so until we meet at sankey tank or doddmakali
best
Ax
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:04 am

Getting used to the boards Mack The Knife,
Didnt check to see the various explanations and advice...
Stren is 12 lb
rest of the hooks etc will reshoot and post in photobucket
best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:08 am

Hi Asif,

Some interesting stuff there. What is that yellow spool? Some type of wire leader? If so, very good for murrel.

Those flies look interesting but I wonder if the hooks are on the smaller size.

Reel size looks good but as I mentioned via SMS, the rod could have been 6" to 12" shorter. 7'-0" can be a bit long when casting from some places. I would have also prefered a stiffer rod as it makes your casting a little more accurate. As beginners we could use all the little help we can get. This is not to say the rod wont work.

Store your line in a dark place as much as possible.

Yep, I think you are ready to go. Let's arrange a trip to Shivsamudram. Good place for a beginner as there is non-stop action and good for one's confidence. Unfortunately, with the monsoons coming in, it may be a little harder. Do you have any friends in Delhi or NOIDA who could show you the ropes?

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

ropes

Post by dev » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:07 pm

Well I do know the good doc and have been fishing about three times. So whenever he is free we'll possibly try out the filth at the yamuna, I've lost several hooks thar and caught a few dead calves.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:38 pm

Hi Dev,
Anytime you can point me out to a decent fishing area here (and join me?) would be a welcome break! lets try the good old bamboo chadi and line/hook/peacock feather float and atta...
Best
Axx

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Asif/Dev

Go North guys Dehradun or Himachal.. For Yamuna I would try to Fish at Paonta Sahib on border of HP and UP downstream from that hydel dam Kala Pathar ( something like that)..This is from my recollection of things eons ago.. another good place is Bhakra dam alas all are some distance away so some planning is required

All the best

Navdeep

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Fishing

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Right Said Navdeep,

Asif/dev, You can fish for Trout and even Mahseer at Yamuna near Pointa saheb towards Yamuna Nagar(My Native Place), There are many good spots there like Hathini Kund, Dadupur and Tajewala.

Alas :( I am at Bangalore at the moment otherwise i would have joined you guys. Last year I caught a 1.5Kg rohu at one barrage on Western yamuna Canal with a borrowed reel from Mack The Knife and a telescopic rod.

Most probably i will be there in north on Diwali then we can plan something if you guys are interested.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:00 am

Thanks Inder-Heard of the names and am trying to get someone to guide me-met up with Sunny Jind, ex royal of Jind , who invited me for a fishing trip a couple of years ago, but no joy-I was in a very crazy job-used to,leave home with my passport every morning those days!! Now, i'm a bit settled, want to make the most of it! Sure do come along, lets plan something-guys writing to me from my hometown-Bangalore-about their hometown where I'm based -wow-truly a global village!!
My no is 9810047865 call anytime.
Best
Axx

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I think you are talking about Mr. Sunny jind who use to be a rally car driver. Saw him once at Chandigarh. Offroading Ah... One of my other interests but what to do never had enough moolah.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
eljefe wrote:writing to me from my hometown-Bangalore-about their hometown where I'm based -wow-truly a global village!!Axx
Yah truly a Global Village and thanks to technology we are able to communicate. So when are you planning to visit Bangalore. Would really love to meet and may be Mack The Knife will teach us a trick or two :wink: :wink: :wink:

Inder :mrgreen:
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:44 am

The same, Kanwar-
I had been invited by the heritage motor club afew years ago, to give medical cover for their Delhi jaipur vintage car rally. We met up with a lot of interesting people, my wife was enamoured by a 1908 model of a Belgian Minerva (it was a monster car,the size of a lorry, which drove past my safari at 80kmph, like i was standing still!!), and we got around to riding in a lot of very fine vintage cars.I must remind Sunny of his offer and see if I can make it for a fishing trip with him..
About coming to Bangalore-bit of sticky bit...trying very hard to make it on a weekend to take up Mack The Knife's offer too!
Lets hope I can work out something-not easy with an active preschooler and a 3month old at home!
Best
Axx