So any body want to come

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

So any body want to come

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:27 am

This is an old news from April 2000 perhaps..What is the status now? So anybody want to do any legal hunting in INDIA?

I am free in second last two weeks of Jan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000417/j&k.htm#1

J & K licenses killing of endangered species

JAMMU, April 16 (PTI) — An endangered Tibetan antelope and Himalayan thar for Rs 100 while black bear and wild pigs for Rs 50 only - that is the worth of these near-extinct species for the state Wildlife Department which freely allows hunting of these animals as a royal sport for a fee.

Though hunting of endangered species is banned in most parts of the country, the Wildlife Act of Jammu and Kashmir ‘licenses’ killing of five types of Scheduled listed animals, killing of which is totally banned by central and international wildlife Acts.

"You can kill and take away a Tibetan antelope, ibex or a Himalayan thar by just paying Rs 100 and a licence fee," Wildlife Department’s official records say.

The state Wildlife Act, 1978, in fact provides rules for issuing various kinds of hunting licences to people by the Wildlife Warden and even trophies are given to the best shooters under the royal game.

However, under growing pressure from various groups, the state government in December 1996, set up a sub-committee to review the Act.

Till date, neither any recommendations have come from the sub-committee nor any amendments made to the Act for protecting the endangered species of birds and animals.

The result - hunting goes on unchecked. The authorities have even neatly classified it — bird hunting falling under "small game"; hunting of animals "big game" and killing of endangered animals as "special game."

Under this "special game" which includes hunting of Tibetan antelope, ibex, Tibetan wolf and gazesse of Ladakh, a hunting licence can be obtained from the state Wildlife Department by Indian citizens for a fee of Rs 500 for full season and Rs 300 for 60 days.

However, foreigners who want to hunt have to pay a licence fee of Rs 1500 for a whole season and Rs 1000 for 60 days.

The amount collected thus goes to the state exchequer as royalty for indulging in the killing of these animals and birds under "royal sports", the official documents reveal.

Similarly, those in the shahtoosh shawl trade can continue to do so by paying Rs 25,000 to the state exchequer even though the trade is banned all over the world. The main source of these shawls is antelope, killing of which is not banned in the state.

The Tibetan antelope and other endangered species though protected under the Schedule-I of the Central Wildlife Act, have been declared ‘unprotected’ under Schedule-II of the Jammu and Kashmir Wildlife Act.

To popularise the "sport", dozens of sign boards at several places in the state indicate the seasons of hunting various birds and animals, besides the cost of killing each one of them.

After all, hunting is a mere "sport" here, and would remain so unless drastic steps are taken to save these endangered species.

-Inder
Last edited by kanwar76 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:01 am

Hey Inder.... I am joining you in this legal hunt....

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: So any body want to come

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:02 pm

kanwar76 wrote:This is an old news from April 2000 perhaps..What is the status now? So anybody want to do any legal hunting in INDIA?

I am free in second last two weeks of Jan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000417/j&k.htm#1

J & K licenses killing of endangered species

JAMMU, April 16 (PTI) — An endangered Tibetan antelope and Himalayan thar for Rs 100 while black bear and wild pigs for Rs 50 only - that is the worth of these near-extinct species for the state Wildlife Department which freely allows hunting of these animals as a royal sport for a fee.

Though hunting of endangered species is banned in most parts of the country, the Wildlife Act of Jammu and Kashmir ‘licenses’ killing of five types of Scheduled listed animals, killing of which is totally banned by central and international wildlife Acts.

"You can kill and take away a Tibetan antelope, ibex or a Himalayan thar by just paying Rs 100 and a licence fee," Wildlife Department’s official records say.

The state Wildlife Act, 1978, in fact provides rules for issuing various kinds of hunting licences to people by the Wildlife Warden and even trophies are given to the best shooters under the royal game.

However, under growing pressure from various groups, the state government in December 1996, set up a sub-committee to review the Act.

Till date, neither any recommendations have come from the sub-committee nor any amendments made to the Act for protecting the endangered species of birds and animals.

The result - hunting goes on unchecked. The authorities have even neatly classified it — bird hunting falling under "small game"; hunting of animals "big game" and killing of endangered animals as "special game."

Under this "special game" which includes hunting of Tibetan antelope, ibex, Tibetan wolf and gazesse of Ladakh, a hunting licence can be obtained from the state Wildlife Department by Indian citizens for a fee of Rs 500 for full season and Rs 300 for 60 days.

However, foreigners who want to hunt have to pay a licence fee of Rs 1500 for a whole season and Rs 1000 for 60 days.

The amount collected thus goes to the state exchequer as royalty for indulging in the killing of these animals and birds under "royal sports", the official documents reveal.

Similarly, those in the shahtoosh shawl trade can continue to do so by paying Rs 25,000 to the state exchequer even though the trade is banned all over the world. The main source of these shawls is antelope, killing of which is not banned in the state.

The Tibetan antelope and other endangered species though protected under the Schedule-I of the Central Wildlife Act, have been declared ‘unprotected’ under Schedule-II of the Jammu and Kashmir Wildlife Act.

To popularise the "sport", dozens of sign boards at several places in the state indicate the seasons of hunting various birds and animals, besides the cost of killing each one of them.

After all, hunting is a mere "sport" here, and would remain so unless drastic steps are taken to save these endangered species.

-Inder

So kanwar76, have you enjoyed this legal hunt?

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Would love to do it if govt is allowing.....

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 am

Hey that's great. Count me in.

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:28 pm

I just looked up online and this is what the law says..
Jammu and Kashmir Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1978
11. Grant of permit for special purposes.- Not with standing anything contained elsewhere in this Act, it shall be lawful for the Chief Wildlife Warden, to grant a permit, by an order in writing, stating the reasons therefore, shall entitle the holder of such permit, to hunt, tranqualize or capture subject to such conditions as may be specified in such permit, for the purposes of-

education;
scientific research;

Provided that where the permission is refused in part or whole, the reasons shall be recorded and communicated to the applicant who may appeal against the refusal to the Government ;

bb. scientific management;
Explanation:- for the purpose of Clause (bb), the expression, "scientific management" means-

translocation of any wild animal to an alternative suitable habitat; or
population management of wildlife, with out killing , poisoning or destroying any wild animal

So there is no provision for hunting to kill as such :(