Pig Sticking in the Ganga Khadar

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Pig Sticking in the Ganga Khadar

Post by xl_target » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 am

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be. Thanks Prashant.

MarkH,
That is a beautiful trophy. Someone's pride and joy at one time, no doubt.
Another interesting thing is your avatar. Many years ago, Oleg Volk (also a member here) took that image or one very similar to that. It has cropped up all over the Internet.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
MarkH
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MarkH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:14 am

Just checked, you are right!! it is Oleg's Big birdie, its a great image,I have had this image for years, it just seems to capture the inner me, a big inquisitive Ozie bird brain that should be handled with care!!!!
cheers
Mark in Oz

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 am

It's a small world.
Welcome to IFG, Mark. Looking forward to your contributions here.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm

xl_target wrote:Welcome to IFG, Mark. Looking forward to your contributions here.

+1

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

MarkH
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MarkH » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks for the PM Prashant Singh, my Newbie status seems to prevent me from beig able to do a PM reply,
cheers
Mark in Oz

MarkH
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MarkH » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 am

Again, many thanks for your research Prashant re Aug1st
cheers
Mark

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Read this very interesting post and thought of adding some more material.

The area around Kachla & Soron near town of Kasganj, UP borders on the south bank of Ganges. This area has pockets called as Ganga Katri which are part marsh land overgrown with sarkanda (Elephant grass). This area has been famous for dacoits - one of them was Kalu Ram. More recently this area has seen an increase in wild boar population. The farmers are having a tough time handling the large boar families which continuously damage the crops.

During a recent visit I was told that a group of 'Nut' (this is a group of people known for their nomad life style) have setup camp on the edge of the marshes and are regularly hunting boars using bamboo spears. All this on foot and with dogs. I did not see a hunt but was shown some of these bamboo spears which appeared simple and effective. Some locals claim to have bought boar meat from these guys. Next visit I will try to get some photos.
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"