Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
daintgautam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

Post by daintgautam » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Code: Select all

[color=#FF0040][/color]
This discussion in the forum above and the replies really helped me a lot to decide to how to get the 0.177 cal. airpistol to India though Baggage pack...

- My Relative has to get in written the declaration to carry this .177 piece in to my baggage from the Airline he would be travelling
- The moment he would land in New Delhi he would have to declare the Air Pistol to the Authorities and I hope he will not face any issue with Black label as he brings always Jack daniels and Civas Regals.

- I shall tip my relative to try to clear it out the same time of his exit from the airport with the help of On the Spot White Brigade officer's Expert Varification that its an airgun not any firearm..

Thanks

Daint

-- Thu Oct 29, 2009 17:44 --

This discussion in the forum above and the replies really helped me a lot to decide to how to get the 0.177 cal. airpistol to India though Baggage pack...

- My Relative has to get in written the declaration to carry this .177 piece in to my baggage from the Airline he would be travelling
- The moment he would land in New Delhi he would have to declare the Air Pistol to the Authorities and I hope he will not face any issue with Black label as he brings always Jack daniels and Civas Regals.

- I shall tip my relative to try to clear it out the same time of his exit from the airport with the help of On the Spot White Brigade officer's Expert Varification that its an airgun not any firearm..

Daint 8)

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:35 pm

i would advice you to check out this thread as this is the latest development on importing.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7752

all the best
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 am

a email was sent to NARI to ask what is the postion of .22 air rifle import.

this is the responce sent back.

'For .22 Rifle you have to get import license from DGFT.'
Nagarifle

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 am

Hi naga i dont think the NARI chaps understood your question coz they have mentioned .22 rifle in their reply

GOCOOL2000
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

AIR GUN THRO PERSONAL BAGGAGE IN CHENNAI

Post by GOCOOL2000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 pm

HI GUYS,
This is what i went through when i bought a brand new hw97k with me during my trip to India.i came throught British Airways and it came 2 chennai at 2:00 hours, i delcared the gun alone to customs at the airport i brought 12 tins of pellets (.177 calibre), bushnell 3-9x52 IR scope and scope mounts and gun oil and other gun cleaning materials. i just delcared the gun alone and the custom officials name was one Mr.shibhu, he gave me a detention slip and told me to come to the airport the next day. the following day i went to the airport and took the customs official along with the gun to the forensics dept, kamarajar salai, chennai and handed over to the Ballistics department for valuation, production & clearance documents. then i kept following up with the ballistics dept., and finally after a couple of days i was told that it was ready for collection. i had to go to the airport and pick up the customs official and come to the forensic dept., and then take them back to the airport. the report was sealed.
after i went to the airport, the letter was opened by a p.r.o named Chelladurai. it was stated that the gun doesnt satisfy GSR 991 under the arms act and that i should produce a arms licence.

as i dont have a arms licence, i told them that i will re export it when i go back to the uk on 1st of dec. they told me to write a letter to deputy commissioner stating the reasons.

in the mean time, i am exploring any chances for a writ under the Art. 226. my father has already sent a letter under the RTI asking the ballistics dept and the customs dept stating whats the correct procedure. so this is the current situation.

any suggestions..
Nothing is illegal untill you get caught

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: AIR RIFLE IMPORT TO CHENNAI FROM UK

Post by striker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Your gun have failed in deal wood test so the airarm is classified as firearm by forensic dept...

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:50 pm

It is likely that the air rifle may have failed the deal wood test. When you bought it in England, did you make sure that it was in fact of a power level lower than 12 ft.lbs? I am aware that anything over that needs a FAC in England to begin with, but sometimes these errors may take place.

The quality of the deal wood will obviously make a difference,as will the distance it is fired from as will the weight of the pellet.
I hope better sense prevails on the officers involved.
Good Luck!
Anand

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

If you want to get your gun out to use in chennai you have to apply for licence for firearm under airgun category inturn it will be really a hard job.
i suggest to carry on with reexport procedures .else try your luck as my friend had the same condition like you still struggling for more than 6 month

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm

GoCool2000

We have posted a link where you can register your grievance against the Arms act , Law online.

The more grievances we have the more are the chances that some of the suggestions will be implemented in the new arms act.
The link to the post is given below
http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 924#p83818
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

GOCOOL2000
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by GOCOOL2000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm

hi anand, its a brand new rifle, original comany fitted spring. god knows what kind of wood these guys use.. anyway lets see..

hi striker,
yes i have decided in taking the gun back to uk and before that i will be filing a writ to question the report of forensic dept. may get a permission to carry on the test as per book under the supervision of a superior authority using the same method as prescribed.

anyway i know getting a licence is not easy but may try tht avenue also.

i think best is to pay premium and buy a .22 air rifle like diana in india which saves a lot of headaches and unnecessary stress.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Since you have purchased it from UK, it is not a FAC version, and I am sure it cannot fail DW test. I request you to talk the in-charge of of Ballistic dept. He is a nice gentleman. Request for the details of the test personally and ask for a 2nd time test. I am sure he is there to help you.

Good Luck!
Personality: MBTI>> INTJ
GUN: CFX, Titan, Longbow, B40, Cannon-65

GOCOOL2000
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by GOCOOL2000 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm

hi thirths,
i have sent a letter under RTI to the director of the forensics dept and meeting the director tomorrow or the day after regarding the issue. Edited.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 pm

i agree with tirths, try for a second test and take you own wood as well after finding out type of wood they use and if they will allow you to bring you own wood.

all the best
Nagarifle

amhere_kirti
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by amhere_kirti » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi David,

Could you point me to "March 2008 Ammendment on Duty exempt for .177 airguns and air pistols. "

Thanks

-- Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:03 pm --

Hi All,

I am planning to bring in a .177 Air Rifle (havent bought one yet). I am travelling US -> Bangalore via Frankfult(Lufthansa Airlines)

Here is my condition
1. I DO NOT have any membership to any Rifle association
2. I already have 2 large check-in baggages and hence I plan to keep the Rifle in a hard case and place this case in one of the check-in baggages
3. I am going to declare it at US airlines counter and will ask for some kind of receipt saying it is indeed a .177 calibre Air Rifle (will they give one ?)
4. I am going to declare the presence of a .177 calibre Air Rifle at Bangalore Customs
5. I will carry the Original receipt, Manual and other Technical details.

Am I missing anything ? Anyone has any suggestions.

Can anyone point me to "March 2008 Ammendment on Duty exempt for .177 airguns and air pistols. " ?

Thanks

king234
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by king234 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:27 am

i thought that no air rifle club member ship is required to import a .177 air rifle. I read it in like dozens of news articles. Hmmm....i dont know if its true o