Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Finally Landed in B'lore with my Airgun

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I've paid duty on the pellets on 2 occasions..

Well, for my SWMBO, give her a free reign in the perfume section and suggest a good whiskey for her father and she is willing to carry some tins of pellets for me :mrgreen:

Regards
Ranjeet
Last edited by Ranjeet Singh on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6393 wrote:Well done Ranjeet.
Keep stocking up on the airguns, pellets, etc.
Well, I will keep getting something everytime, This time around, I would try to get some well maintained 300S, again, let's see, you get some really good deals on them, sometimes as low as 150 Euros..
Mack The Knife Bana";p="6393 wrote: Your only bad buy is that scope. It may not last long if you put the more powerful spring. Do you have a rimfire at home you can mount it on?
Well, it is a cheap Tasco scope 3-9x 40, but at the time I had bought it, the shopkeeper had told me this can be used on a strong airgun, but still, that's one reason I want to stay on the same spring for some time, And getting scopes from abroad is a very difficult proposition...

My father had a Ruger rimfire, but he sold it to a family member, its still in the family but its got a scope already a bushnell

Is the scope that you had put on sale still available??
Mack The Knife Bana";p="6393 wrote: What is that spray can for?
Some gun oil, to protect and clean..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:48 pm

Ranjeet,

Are you refering to the Bushnell Lite-site? It is for sale but it was on my '97 and the recoil did shift the illuminated dot.

I don't think you should risk it.

Presently keep your 97 on low power until you get an appropriate scope for it.

Mack The Knife

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:57 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6414 wrote:Presently keep your 97 on low power until you get an appropriate scope for it.
Mack The Knife
I guess i've to keep it at low power for quite some time, as getting a good scope back to India is quite difficult..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Nice air rifle and nice to read about someone who also believes that fortune favours the brave...bravo well done, would love to shoot alongside with my QB 78. I'm sure we are set up just okay for a field target match.

Regards,

Dev
Ranjeet Singh";p="6389 wrote: pls excuse my feet in some pics

Regards
Ranjeet
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:11 pm

Why is bringing back a scope difficult? You just did. Even Rags has brought back a scope! :shock: :mrgreen:

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:20 pm

well done ranjeet... i have also bought one diana model 36 with 500 pellets from dubai in march 2001. Some officers stopped me there in airport but after checking they let me go with my toy. In india also i did'nt have much problem as here every one knows that airgun is not so harmful and they allowed me to bring it.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:21 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6425 wrote:Why is bringing back a scope difficult? You just did. Even Rags has brought back a scope! :shock: :mrgreen:
Last time I was bringing a scope, it was in my carry on baggage and at Munich airport, they got a bit paranoid, when I was not going to Africa but carrying a scope with me:mrgreen:, Well, i guess I'll need a good scope so I'll get it sometime..until then I'll live with the tasco that i have..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Finally Landed in B'lore with my Airgun

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:36 am

Last time I was bringing a scope, it was in my carry on baggage and at Munich airport, they got a bit paranoid...
Understandably so. Had the same happen to me at Frankfurt in '95 but the fault was ours.

Bring it as checked luggage in future and stop scaring the punters. ;)

Mack The Knife

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 am

I will answer my own questions... for other's knowldge :)

So yes, I made it to India without any problems.... well without any 'major' problems.

Here's what you do if you are travelling with an Air-pistol or even an Air gun:

1. Make sure the gun is in a hard case container.
2. Make sure you have a lock on the container.
3. Carry a receipt of purchase.
4. Carry a printout of the page from the manufacturer's site with the gun's technical details.
5. If flying from the US, print out the 'firearms' page from TSA's website.
6. If travelling with an air-pistol, you can put it in a case and then put the case inside your bag. For an airgun, the air gun case will be considered as one checked-in luggage item.
7. Be prepared to pay customs duty. I think it is 30%.
8. Be prepared for the customs people to open your bags and give you some hard time!!!

I say I 'think' because I didnt have to pay. First the customs officer's dont know what the gun was. Then after they concluded it was an air gun, they wanted to know how much it is so they can charge a duty. My Crosman wasn't high prices according to them so I didnt have to pay. I also bought about 3000 pellets.

Hope this helps someone who is contemplating whether to bring back one or not!!

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Air pistol in your check-in luggage?

Post by Sujay » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi Amit !

Congrats and thanks for posting the process clearly. Can you recollect

1) Which channel were you walking through; red or green ?

2) Why did the customs open your bag ? Did the air pistol show in X ray or
to check for dutiable items ?

3) How did customs identify the Crossman as an air pistol ? Did they accept the printout you were carrying or asked their collegues ? Did they ask anything about the scope mounted on it ( assuming you have not taken it off) ?

4) The pellets. Was the customs aware about the pellets ? I mean, did they allow the pellets in or they simply remained undetected ?

Sounds interrogation :D but would appreciate if you could reply pointwise.

Thanks.

Sujay
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:19 pm

1) Which channel were you walking through; red or green ?
I did customs at Ahmedabad... I dont think they have a red or green. Unless it is default as green and if you declare anything on your customs form, you go through red. (?)
2) Why did the customs open your bag ? Did the air pistol show in X ray or
to check for dutiable items ?
Well, I got my bags opened because of the 3000 pellets I was carrying :P Not coz of the gun. They could see a 'metal' like thing in the Xray and while inspecting what that was, they came to know about the gun.
3) How did customs identify the Crossman as an air pistol ? Did they accept the printout you were carrying or asked their collegues ? Did they ask anything about the scope mounted on it ( assuming you have not taken it off) ?
Both my print outs and the guys had a reconfirmation from another officer. Didnt ask anything about the scope. They did ask however what I wanted to bring the gun along for... of course my answer was "target shooting".
4) The pellets. Was the customs aware about the pellets ? I mean, did they allow the pellets in or they simply remained undetected ?
Yes they inspected the pellets. LOL. One officer wanted to know if there was any 'gun powder' in them :D i had to try VERY hard to contain my emotions and not burst into laughter!
Sounds interrogation :D but would appreciate if you could reply pointwise.
Anytime... Take care,
Amit

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:56 am

Hey congratulations Amit,

Hope your dad have fun with it... :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks a lot Amit !
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:52 am

[quote="conty1";p="8556"]
Yes they inspected the pellets. LOL. One officer wanted to know if there was any 'gun powder' in them :D i had to try VERY hard to contain my emotions and not burst into laughter!
Amit
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: hahahah Amit you could have told him these pellets are used in Anti aircraft guns so they contain Gun powder .. i am sorry i brought them with me :lol: :lol: