Which airgun should I buy?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:33 am

Pretty hard making up you mind chappie :)

Once you get married, you'll know what I mean ;)

You should decide if you would want any second hand rifle or a 'good' second hand one.... your chances. And all in all, you wont know whom you are buying it from, how the actual condition is, and so on. If you are still determined about it, all the best.

My point is that its not every day (or every year) that you invest on something like this. Dont make a waste of it.

You may as well contact those who have posted the pre-owned rifle (dealer/seller) and see what best arrangements can be done. It 'may' have some hidden hassles if it comes thru a person and not thru a shop/dealer.

:)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

For Advertising mail webmaster
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Which airgun should I buy?

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 am

you may have it posted to a registered firarms dealer. however, there will be a charge for the services, ranging from 20-45 pounds
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 am

hamiclar01";p="56211 wrote: ..... and bought yet another springer :wink:
And what might that be?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 am

TenX";p="56215 wrote: And what might that be?
nothing special, (looking at his nails and trying to look unconcerned), a second hand FWB 124 :wink:
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:46 am

i would like to ask again that if required can i not get a FAC PCP Air rifle as these do not have the 12 ft/pound restricton ?

You may buy a FAC pcp but the seller (shop or individual) will not hand it over to you in the U.K. if you do not have a FAC (Fire Arms Certificate) or any other relevant document. However, they can ship it to your address in India.
also if i want to go in for a second hand PCP air rifle how does one go about purchasing it ?
From a shop, auction house and individuals.
Ok from the other posts i have found out that we can get some good deals on AIRGUNSBBBS but where do i get this delivered as they can only send it to a registered dealer in the UK.
As far as I know, the restrictions mentioned in the VCR Bill only apply to new airguns. So, if you like something on the Airgun BBS, you could ask a friend, relative or colleague to pay and take delivery of the rifle and you can reimburse him/her when you get to England.

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Registration on AirgunBBS suspended !!

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Mack The Knife - with regard to the FAC issue, what about gas ram rifles like the Theoben Eliminator , HW 90 etc. are these also internally regulated. I mean can i buy a 12ft/pound version and then increase the air pressure to make it FAC spec ? I really know very little so please excuse me if you find my questions stupid. :)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

hotshot";p="56253 wrote:Mack The Knife - with regard to the FAC issue, what about gas ram rifles like the Theoben Eliminator , HW 90 etc. are these also internally regulated. I mean can i buy a 12ft/pound version and then increase the air pressure to make it FAC spec ? I really know very little so please excuse me if you find my questions stupid. :)
You cannot buy a FAC air-rifle in the U.K. and have the shop / maufacturer / distributor de-rate it to sub-12 ft.lbs..

If you buy a sub-12 ft.lbs. gasram and pump it up in India, you will scorch the piston washer.

If you want a FAC HW90, buy it from Dubai or the U.S. but it will have to be a baggage import as I wouldn't recommend a .177" calibre producing over 15 to 16 ft.lbs..

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="56266 wrote: If you want a FAC HW90, buy it from Dubai or the U.S. but it will have to be a baggage import as I wouldn't recommend a .177" calibre producing over 15 to 16 ft.lbs..
Rusty,

Do you suggest same for PCP's? AA 410 Produce around 20-23FT/LBS ion .177 (according to straight shooters). So what you think, how heavy pellets one should use to shoot it accurately?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 pm

hamiclar01";p="56223 wrote:
TenX";p="56215 wrote: And what might that be?
nothing special, (looking at his nails and trying to look unconcerned), a second hand FWB 124 :wink:
You lucky sod...I should bang my head on the wall...maybe I just will. :-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Rusty,

Do you suggest same for PCP's?

-Inder
Inder,

Absolutely! At the most you could go a ft.lb. up to 17 ft.lbs. but that has it's own drawbacks. What is important is down range accuracy. A pellet leaving the muzzle at 15 to 16 ft.lbs. carries enough power to do the needful at even 60 yards and I would like to see how many of you can consistently hit a 1" target at that range. Or come to think of it, even half that range.

Also keep in mind that the heavier the pellet gets in .177" calibre, the fewer the pellet types to match the rifle with.
AA 410 Produce around 20-23FT/LBS ion .177 (according to straight shooters). So what you think, how heavy pellets one should use to shoot it accurately?

I don't know the answer to that because it entirely depends on which pellet suits that particular rifle best. However, assuming that H&N Barracuda match weighing in at 10.3 grains suited my imginary S4X0 E, then the first thing I would do is reduce the power to 16 ft.lbs. and have a flat shooting pellet exiting the muzzle at approximately 835 ft./sec. and increase my shot count in the bargain.

As you know I have ordered a FAC V-Mach kit for the Pro Sport. However, I have asked Steve to derate the power to approximately 13.5 ft.lbs. because this power level gives optimum refinement and accuracy for this type of rifle. Irrespective of power levels, the kit costs the same. The vast majority with the paisa vassol mentality are only doing themselves a dis-service by going for power over refinement and accuracy.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:03 pm

hotshot";p="56253 wrote: Mack The Knife - with regard to the FAC issue, what about gas ram rifles like the Theoben Eliminator , HW 90 etc. are these also internally regulated. I mean can i buy a 12ft/pound version and then increase the air pressure to make it FAC spec ? I really know very little so please excuse me if you find my questions stupid. :)
if you are really keen on an FAC, the simplest solution i can suggest is buying a sub FAC power springer, and order a FAC tuning kit.

bring the springer home with you as baggage, and ask the seller to post the kit to your address in india. he cannot legally sell it you to in u.k., but he often would be happy to post it overseas.

i think you can extrapolate this to pcp s, i guess.

of course you will have to speak to them personally when you reach. the three names i can think of are steve pope of v-mach, sandwell field sports, and ben taylor and sons (for pcps). i might warn you, it's not going to be cheap.

dev";p="56271 wrote: You lucky sod...I should bang my head on the wall...maybe I just will. :-)
:D

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="56277 wrote:
I don't know the answer to that because it entirely depends on which pellet suits that particular rifle best. However, assuming that H&N Barracuda match weighing in at 10.3 grains suited my imginary S4X0 E, then the first thing I would do is reduce the power to 16 ft.lbs. and have a flat shooting pellet exiting the muzzle at approximately 835 ft./sec. and increase my shot count in the bargain.
I think 410side lever comes with a power setting knob so this should take care of excess power .
Mack The Knife Bana";p="56277 wrote:
As you know I have ordered a FAC V-Mach kit for the Pro Sport. However, I have asked Steve to derate the power to approximately 13.5 ft.lbs. because this power level gives optimum refinement and accuracy for this type of rifle. Irrespective of power levels, the kit costs the same. The vast majority with the paisa vassol mentality are only doing themselves a dis-service by going for power over refinement and accuracy.
Don't know whether GG got a chance to crono his TX but as its from US, it should be running on full power. Did you shoot it? coz if it still sweet to shoot and accurate then Venom kit should do better.

what you think?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I do recall chronoing the TX with two types of pellets but don't recall the figures. The trigger on that TX is so badly set it completely distracts my attention from the firing cycle.

AA springers do not really require a V-Mach kit. That is just a bad and expensive habit of mine. :mrgreen: However, I was not too pleased with the extreme spread of the Pro Sport and the V-Mach kit should hopefully bring that down to 5 fps or lesser.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="56293 wrote:I do recall chronoing the TX with two types of pellets but don't recall the figures. The trigger on that TX is so badly set it completely distracts my attention from the firing cycle.

AA springers do not really require a V-Mach kit. That is just a bad and expensive habit of mine. :mrgreen: However, I was not too pleased with the extreme spread of the Pro Sport and the V-Mach kit should hopefully bring that down to 5 fps or lesser.

So what I am saying is .. If you get lesser spread, sweet shooting and accurate rifle then whats the harm in extra power...

:Getting ready for the incoming:
:D

-Inder