Let's see your knives - big and small.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Let's see your knives - big and small.

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:29 pm

As per the title.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Let's see your knives - big and small.

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:40 pm

Great Show Mack The Knife,
Abhijeet, we'll need more bandwidth!
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:49 pm

No you wont. Not if they are hosted on a hosting site.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:58 pm

A nice collection Mack The Knife!

I have a particularly soft spot for the Fairbairn Sykes knives, probably because I've read about them since I was a kid and still don't have one.

I do have a nice WW2 issue USMC fighting knife I'll post a pic of sometime when I get ambitious and take the pic first.

Here are a couple I have pics of: Image

Oh, and my daughter helping me butcher a deer last year with her pink knife:

"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:55 am

"I have a particularly soft spot for the Fairbairn Sykes knives, probably because I've read about them since I was a kid and still don't have one."

Well, now you do. I cannot post it because the PO made a fuss when I recently had to send a knife to England. Sent half-a-dozen in the past, so don't know what the fuss was about. Will send it via someone going to the U.S..

That is truly a beautiful pair of hunting knives. Some details please. Nothing better than a convex edge but it appears these aren't used - no strop marks or do you polish them after a strop? And what bone is that?

Which metal polish would you recommend - Flitz, Simichrome,....?

As for the second pic, all I can say is thank god for parents and children like that. Incidentally, what knife is it? A Gerber of sorts?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:36 am

Mack The Knife, you know what, You can open a bloody museum with them knives.Great collection. I love those wood and steel combination.Not much of a fan of plastic.

Mark, the young lady looks sufficiently business like with that pose and the pink knife.

I have a Gerber suspension model with me.Planning to get a Victorinox XLT soon.Have a nice Kukri presented by our CSM Hav. B.B. Gurung of 5 Gurkha Rifles FF. He greatly loved me and brought that from Nepal.Nothing fancy and quite workman like,but dearer to me. Also, have a Mukti Dhav from Assam. Also have a few knives of unknown make.Planning to get a nice benchmade.Will post pictures when I go home.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:44 am

Mack The Knife that is an extemely generous and touching gesture, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

In regards to details of the 2 knives, I made them myself.

The knife on the left is forged from 420 stainless and the handle is European Reindeer. The bolster and pommel are Ebony. The one on the right was forged from a high chromium coil spring from a car suspension. The bolster is pewter and the handle is whitetail deer.

I'm embarrased to say, but my daughters knife is a pink cheapie dive knife I bought off ebay! I had been looking for ages for a pink knife and found them there, it was something like $8 plus $6 shipping. However it is her hunting knife now and she uses it quite a bit whenever there is some sort of hunting related work to do!

I still have my blacksmith shop and have a bit of metal working equipment, I think an appropriate way of repaying your kindness is to invite you here for a few days sometime that would be convenient to you and we can shoot some guns, hunt some animals, and forge some blades!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:49 am

Mark,

I've been trying to get Mack The Knife to visit the US for a long time now, but he doesn;t seem to want to visit friends for some reason that only he knows. :( I do hope that your invitation tempts him into coming over. Wonder if there is any other incentive that we could dangle before him? :)

Mehul

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:00 am

I could mention him to the neighbors down the road, They are a pretty friendly bunch especially if I told them Mack The Knife knows how to drive a ski boat.

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:42 am

I want that deer :twisted:

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:57 am

It is too late this year to get permits unfortunately but lets talk next summer!

P.S. Mehul told me I should tell you "de nw9m" when I talk to you :)

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:11 am

It is too late this year to get permits unfortunately but lets talk next summer!
Thank you kind sir, but I meant a deer like that, not necessarily the same one/in that region, but thank you :). Would you have some more pics of deer being gutted, butchered, etc.?
P.S. Mehul told me I should tell you "de nw9m" when I talk to you
Not sure if I know what 'de nw9m' means.

-N

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 am

My apologies, it is an amateur radio term. de means "from"

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 am

To answer your first question, here is a very good website telling you how to process a deer, with some pictures too:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-877/458-877.html

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:13 am

Mark,
DE vu2xtc

Have a secret desire to build myself a knife-finally zeroed down on a decent design, bit movie, bit imagination, bit khukri! wont make it to the American Knife makers guild, but looks like it will happen this winter.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."