Pardon me, sir, would you like some more Wootz?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Pardon me, sir, would you like some more Wootz?

Post by timmy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am

It appears that this page has been taken down.

Try this link instead:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120219134 ... u/text.pdf
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 am

timmy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am

Try this link instead:

sorry but this is not same.its different then what you posted earlier link.
it was explained very well with pics.and one can make it after reading it if he have talent and knowledge.
it was best article i have seen on Damascus steel.i have a link of same article but it have black and white pics rest is same.
http://www.hefajstos.agh.edu.pl/files/% ... endray.pdf
there were Damascus steel knives on sale made by same bladesmith couple of years ago.they were looked exact like original steel.
sword made from Damascus steel swords were super expensive even when they were being made.In 1850 a Damascus steel sword costed 2.50 lakh rupees.not all kings in india could afford it only very wealthy king.some king's states were not worth 2.50 lakh rs at that time.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:54 am

The exact price was Rs. 2,67,233.50/- .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:45 am

Kittu wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 am
timmy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am

Try this link instead:

sorry but this is not same.its different then what you posted earlier link.
it was explained very well with pics.and one can make it after reading it if he have talent and knowledge.
it was best article i have seen on Damascus steel.i have a link of same article but it have black and white pics rest is same.
http://www.hefajstos.agh.edu.pl/files/% ... endray.pdf
there were Damascus steel knives on sale made by same bladesmith couple of years ago.they were looked exact like original steel.
sword made from Damascus steel swords were super expensive even when they were being made.In 1850 a Damascus steel sword costed 2.50 lakh rupees.not all kings in india could afford it only very wealthy king.some king's states were not worth 2.50 lakh rs at that time.
Kittu, You are mistaken, sir. The 2nd link I posted is from the archive of the original link. It is the same as what I originally posted, which is to a book. The archive that I posted was made around the time I posted the original link.

The link that you posted is from a magazine article with pictures, and it is quite interesting. It adds meaningful information to this post. But no, I am not mistaken, what you posted is not the same thing as what I posted in the original post to this thread.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm

yes sir my apologies.You are absolutely correct it is not same. I can remember now process of making steel ingot was different.
Name of bladesmith was also mentioned who made this sword his name was like dhull from damascus.
And there was a dagger pic also which belonged to mughals earlier.
As i recall they dissolved this sword and a dagger in acid to learn exact composition of steel
they got these sword as donation from a collector in switzerland infect sword was cut and pieces were sent to various researchers to study it.
They used pig iron and steel to make ingots not sorel as mentioned in last document.
Last edited by Kittu on Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 am

i have edited my post and written some more facts which i remembered later.
which link you posted earlier first link was the best article on Damascus steel i have read in my life.
i tried for months to get it and i am still trying
may be it was written too well so they took it down with that document it was very easy to replicate Damascus steel
And i have seen some freshly forged Damascus steel swords exactly same as the older ones in a museum recently
these swords have high value because they are antique and are rare,process is forgotten
their value will decline slightly if someone is making exact copy and it will become common
not so much of interest as we have now.someone might start selling Damascus steel swords which is hard to prove
they are copy.bladesmith in first document you posted had some knives he was selling.
later i came to know his shop burned down and he is not making knives any more