Indian Edged Weapons in the Prince of Wales Museum

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Indian Edged Weapons in the Prince of Wales Museum

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi pistolero,

> Thanks - great info on Samurai Sword making!
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 am

Dear Briha,

Glad you like the info.

Will start out a thread soon on this topic!! Its and endless topic and I hope to learn a lot more here at the forum!

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 am

perfectionist1 wrote:Dear Moin,

Great...bravo...you are a person a kind of which is hard to find, very dedicated and constantly following your hobby.

I myself wanted to get 2 swords made for myself - one Khilij and other Shamshir, but from one year reluctant, dont know if it will be legal to keep it with me, that is why never went ahead and tried.

I even have taken out a dimensional design of Khilij of 36" blade.

In Nov'12 I went to my approx. 300 years old house and found out one Talwar kind of sword, the tip of which was rusted and melted by 3-4 inches, which cleaned it up, is looking good. The sword must have belonged to my ancestors, left it there only.

Attaching its pic for your review and comments, please....

Once again cheers....
Hi Perfectionist. Thank you very much for your kind words. I've just started reading extensively on the subject so I'll take a pot shot.bI may jollywell be wrong. I am using Rawson and Egerton as guide. The hilt is Indo Muslim Talwar Hilt of the Rajput type. The quillons are short stemmed and the pommel is as wide as the quillions. The hilt has what appears to be gold gilding where gold leaf is applied on the surface and burnished and later polished with sweet lime.

The blade shape is quite peculiar being flared at tip ( or appears in the pic) unlike the traditional talwar shape. THERE also appears to be dual fullering on the blade. I would assume that this would be a firnagi blade i.e a European Cavalry type from Italy France or Portugal and fitted with a Talwar Hilt. these were very popular in the 17th and 18th Century. The only other option would be a Talwar from the Sind Region as i saw a similar one in one of the line drawings in Egertons book.

REGARDS
MOIN.

P.s: wait for katanji to correctly identify the blade. I JUST TOOK A POT SHOT AT IT.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 am

pistolero wrote:Dear Briha,

Glad you like the info.

Will start out a thread soon on this topic!! Its and endless topic and I hope to learn a lot more here at the forum!

Regards,
Pistolero
SIR Pistolero. You are active in Khorasnis Sword Forums. :) spread some gyaan here as well . Looking forward to your post on Japo Blades.:)

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

ranjit.jagtap
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ranjit.jagtap » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks Moin for the lovely treat.
Cheers
Ranjit

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Moin. wrote:
perfectionist1 wrote:Dear Moin,

Great...bravo...you are a person a kind of which is hard to find, very dedicated and constantly following your hobby.

I myself wanted to get 2 swords made for myself - one Khilij and other Shamshir, but from one year reluctant, dont know if it will be legal to keep it with me, that is why never went ahead and tried.

I even have taken out a dimensional design of Khilij of 36" blade.

In Nov'12 I went to my approx. 300 years old house and found out one Talwar kind of sword, the tip of which was rusted and melted by 3-4 inches, which cleaned it up, is looking good. The sword must have belonged to my ancestors, left it there only.

Attaching its pic for your review and comments, please....

Once again cheers....
Hi Perfectionist. Thank you very much for your kind words. I've just started reading extensively on the subject so I'll take a pot shot.bI may jollywell be wrong. I am using Rawson and Egerton as guide. The hilt is Indo Muslim Talwar Hilt of the Rajput type. The quillons are short stemmed and the pommel is as wide as the quillions. The hilt has what appears to be gold gilding where gold leaf is applied on the surface and burnished and later polished with sweet lime.

The blade shape is quite peculiar being flared at tip ( or appears in the pic) unlike the traditional talwar shape. THERE also appears to be dual fullering on the blade. I would assume that this would be a firnagi blade i.e a European Cavalry type from Italy France or Portugal and fitted with a Talwar Hilt. these were very popular in the 17th and 18th Century. The only other option would be a Talwar from the Sind Region as i saw a similar one in one of the line drawings in Egertons book.

REGARDS
MOIN.

P.s: wait for katanji to correctly identify the blade. I JUST TOOK A POT SHOT AT IT.
Dear Moin,

Thanks for your interest.
I am told by my father that there will be scores of other relics inside the "haveli", have to take time out and search.
Will keep all posted.

Cheers...

allen
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by allen » Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 pm

salaam moin bhai,

many Thanks for posting and sharing photos of Indian Edged Weapons from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (Prince of Wales Museum) Mumbai

regards

soni
bikaner

NidhiT
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NidhiT » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Moin, I wanted to speak to you regarding a documentary we are making on similar blades. Could you please share your contact no. Or email id? Or you can reach me at nidhithakur(at)live(dot)in

pless revert soon...very urgent.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Moin and Pistolero, truly superb posts.... So well researched and incisively written. Really enjoyed them.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks much Allen & Sir Lanceman. Glad you liked the post.

Regards
Moin.

akiyatan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by akiyatan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Great post Moin!

Just loved every bit of it!

Thanks
Karan
A mans strength and wisdom is much like a fine sword, refined by fire folded by a expert craftsman and finally when you have a perfect sword or man you are sharpened and honed and you never loose your edge if your Maker is God the Father.

akiyatan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by akiyatan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey Moin!
Unable to reply.
Still not granted the privileges :)
A mans strength and wisdom is much like a fine sword, refined by fire folded by a expert craftsman and finally when you have a perfect sword or man you are sharpened and honed and you never loose your edge if your Maker is God the Father.

caracass77
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by caracass77 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Super pictures sir! I had visited the museum back in 2001 when I was not a resident. Spent hours and hours near this section after which the suspicious guards removed/bumped me firmly and politely! Thank you for these, brought back some good memories~ :)

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Thank you Karan and Caracass, glad you liked the post.

Regards
Moin.

estcrh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by estcrh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:12 am

This cuirass is one of my favorite armors, unfortunately only the back side is shown, I have been looking for what this type of cuirass might have been called, any suggestions? Below is an example showing both the front and back sides.
indian cuirass sign.jpg
Indian cuirass.jpg
Indian_(Mughal)_cuirass_17th_to_18th_century1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.