choombak's sharp and shiny tools

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: choombak's sharp and shiny tools

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:26 am

After going through numerous blades, and lights, I have finally (hopefully) settled down on these for EDC:

From L to R (steel): Sebenza 25 (S35VN), RAT II (Aus-8), SureFire Jekyll (154CM), Three Sisters Forge Beast (S35VN), Benchmade 755 MPR (M390), Spyderco PPT (S30V), Sebenza Insingo Small (S35VN)

From L to R: Arc AAA Ti, Arc AAA, Peak Eiger (smooth SS tube), Lego light takes Malkoff P60 module, SureFire 6P with Malkoff M61 (Nichia 219), SureFire L5 Lumamax, SureFire 6P with Malkoff M61 (Nichia 219), SureFire T1A Titan, Peak Logan (CR123), Peak Eiger in Cu, Peak Eiger in SS (both AAA).

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 am

My hear skips a beat every time i see a Sebenza.. :oops: so in love with the Seb
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:00 am

Moin. wrote:My hear skips a beat every time i see a Sebenza.. :oops: so in love with the Seb
You should try the recent upgraded 25 - it's mind blowing. Thicker blade, better grind, higher 59 RC, thumbstuds on both sides by default, improved jimping. I'll shortly post the close ups that I did last week, and you'll get the idea...

Here they come...

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:30 am

choombak wrote:
Moin. wrote:My hear skips a beat every time i see a Sebenza.. :oops: so in love with the Seb
You should try the recent upgraded 25 - it's mind blowing. Thicker blade, better grind, higher 59 RC, thumbstuds on both sides by default, improved jimping. I'll shortly post the close ups that I did last week, and you'll get the idea...

Here they come...

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

God, is'nt she gorgeous.!!!!!!!!.... lovely pics as well... fultu eye candy mate...Thanks for posting the pics. What a great start to a boring working day morning :)

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:32 am

Btw Tom Cruise carried a sebenza in one of ny all time favourite movies " Collateral".

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:25 am

What a lovely blade, the design, profile, ergonomic grip......
I am reminded of the song "Killing Me Softly" :D
Its sight was good enough to start the day with unmatched point & edge :D
Thanks for sharing!!!!
Briha

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 am

BTW Choombak what did you use to shoot the close ups ( Don't tell me your I Phone :) ) . Such shallow DOF and amazing clarity, a macro lense ?

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 am

Request Admins to include to "drool" smiley........ for such beauties, we need one!

Awesome tool, Choombak. And awesome photos, too! The blue thumbstud looks ........ (no words)! What are the scales made of?

Moin, dunno about the iPhone, but my S5 has a mode wherein you can get similar bokeh. Obviously (need I mention it?) not as good as a f/1.8 prime, but decent. Will send you a few through WhatsApp. There are, however, add on macro, wide-angle, fisheye, tele, etc. lenses available for phones. About 40 odd dollars. Plus shipping.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 am

Moin. wrote:BTW Choombak what did you use to shoot the close ups ( Don't tell me your I Phone :) ) . Such shallow DOF and amazing clarity, a macro lense ?
Panasonic LUMIX DX7, point-and-shoot. No fancy stuff, just plain POS. :-)

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Lovely blade Amar. Agree with Moin on the Sebenza.

:cheers:

TC

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:00 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Request Admins to include to "drool" smiley........ for such beauties, we need one!

Awesome tool, Choombak. And awesome photos, too! The blue thumbstud looks ........ (no words)! What are the scales made of?

Moin, dunno about the iPhone, but my S5 has a mode wherein you can get similar bokeh. Obviously (need I mention it?) not as good as a f/1.8 prime, but decent. Will send you a few through WhatsApp. There are, however, add on macro, wide-angle, fisheye, tele, etc. lenses available for phones. About 40 odd dollars. Plus shipping.
Scales are bead blasted titanium. Blade is S35VN (a steel that Chris Reeve helped design).

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you all for your kind words, the Seb 25 is indeed a delight for the senses.

On a side note, the TSF Beast (4th from left) is built single handedly (and I mean literally - the maker has lost use of both hands and can only use one hand to build).

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Choombak, diffuclt to beleive those are from a P&S camera :D .. BTW what's different in the 25 compared to the older 21, they seem very similar spec wise on paper. Has the street price of the 21 dropped after 25 ?

Regards
Moin

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 am

Moin. wrote:Choombak, diffuclt to beleive those are from a P&S camera :D .. BTW what's different in the 25 compared to the older 21, they seem very similar spec wise on paper. Has the street price of the 21 dropped after 25 ?

Regards
Moin
Seb 25 improves upon 21 on several counts: thick blade, different grind, improved ergonomics, higher RC hardness, better jimping, thumbstuds both sides default. Size wise they are same. There is no street price - there is one price for Sebenza. Seb 25 is $445.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 pm

choombak wrote:
Moin. wrote:Choombak, diffuclt to beleive those are from a P&S camera :D .. BTW what's different in the 25 compared to the older 21, they seem very similar spec wise on paper. Has the street price of the 21 dropped after 25 ?

Regards
Moin
Seb 25 improves upon 21 on several counts: thick blade, different grind, improved ergonomics, higher RC hardness, better jimping, thumbstuds both sides default. Size wise they are same. There is no street price - there is one price for Sebenza. Seb 25 is $445.

Awesome, thanks Choombak... Will get one some day :D

Regards
Moin