DIY KNIFE 2

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: DIY KNIFE 2

Post by brihacharan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 pm

[quote="kshitij"]
Update,
For about a week have been waiting for a revert from the machinist i had given the blanks to do the bevels. He called back today and told he cant do it right.
Have decided to now either get the appropriate wheels for my bench grinder or get a dremel tool to get the bevels done myself.
Any suggestions/advice guys?

You'd do well to go in for your decision...
1. You have control on your time
2. No dependency or be at the mercy of external sources
3. Decide on your own need of the bevel angle
4. Sharpen your DIY skills
:cheers:
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Thank brihaji :)

Specific advice in terms what kind of wheel would be ideal to use with the bench grinder would be appreciated :cheers:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 am

Use a relatively smooth wheel, and try to get a bench grinder with a speed attachment. Start with the slowest speed. If you can rig up (or have) a jig to hold the knife at a constant angle, so much the better. Even if it is a simple block of wood to which you attach the knife so that when you hold the wood vertically, the knife is touching the grinder at the desired angle.

Dremel is not so good for bevelling - it is too slow and runs through the accessories at a tremendous rate. Best kept for smoothening jobs, etc.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

pacifistbrahmin
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by pacifistbrahmin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Nice knife! Blank reminds me of a Becker BK2 http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK2 ... B001N1DPDE.

Do you plan to heat-treat also? Since you mention getting steels, did you know that the rusted steel sometimes found on construction sites (they use it for reinforcing concrete makes a very good material for knives?). As do leaf-springs from old suspensions. Basically, its high-carbon, that's why it rusts. :)

Leaf-spring knife google images https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+spring+knife

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:21 pm

kshitij
You may try making a Micarta handle for your knives instead of the plain acrylic ones. You can use fiberglass resin or epoxy for forming the micarta. check this

Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 pm

kshitij wrote:I loved the way the transparent handles have turned out. Wish i could get my hands on a billet of damascus steel, so that i could make a knife and put these handles on it.
Heres a closer look at the transparent handles...
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Hello Kshitij,

I love to collect utility knives, but I have never seen a knife with a transparent handle like you have shared.
Thanks for sharing as my next pick for knife would be of the same kind.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:14 pm

pacifistbrahmin wrote:Nice knife! Blank reminds me of a Becker BK2 http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK2 ... B001N1DPDE.

Do you plan to heat-treat also? Since you mention getting steels, did you know that the rusted steel sometimes found on construction sites (they use it for reinforcing concrete makes a very good material for knives?). As do leaf-springs from old suspensions. Basically, its high-carbon, that's why it rusts. :)

Leaf-spring knife google images https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+spring+knife
Hi PB,
Does it really look like the becker? I never noticed that ;)
I do not heat treat any of the blades i make since the sheets I use come pretreated. What i meant by getting steels is sourcing particular kinds of specialized steel in the sheet form so that only just have to cut the blade profile out of them. I am no expert at knife making and my level of competence is restricted to hand sharpening a razor edge to my knives :P , Use machines to do all the profiling work on the blades as well as scales.
I am aware of leaf spring steel or rail road spikes being used to make really good knives but since they've spent a longgg time under stress and are in a particular shape, one would have to anneal them at least a couple times over, then flatten them, normalize, and see if they still have a memory. To me that is just too much work :stupid:
AnandNair wrote:kshitij You may try making a Micarta handle for your knives instead of the plain acrylic ones. You can use fiberglass resin or epoxy for forming the micarta. check this
Hi Anand,
Yes micarta scales are on my mind since a really long time. Its just that the acrylic ones are easily available and doable so the lazy bum in me doesn't have enough drive to get going on them. have now started using 6mm thick teflon sheets for the scales as they are really durable and grippy. not to mention they are very easy to profile to fit your hand...
harshit89 wrote: Hello Kshitij,

I love to collect utility knives, but I have never seen a knife with a transparent handle like you have shared.
Thanks for sharing as my next pick for knife would be of the same kind.
Hi harshit,
I made the acrylic ones on an impulse and they have lasted me just fine. But i am not sure there are many mainstream guys who do that, maybe for a good reason I am yet to find out :P
Lock, Stock and Barrel.