Axes available in india

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Axes available in india

Post by kshitij » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:55 am

@essdee you drew exactly what i had in mind!
You are welcome to come over any time. Infact we could plan it out as a knife making weekend some time :)
Maybe use the angle grinder and bench grinder on a couple of blanks and see how that goes too.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:03 pm

There are no good branded axes available in india like wetterlings and granfors . ...... there are just gerbers and local made axes......
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

RamMani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by RamMani » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:14 pm

snIPer wrote:I picked this up from Flipkart - seems good - haven't had a chance to use it yet :-)
http://www.flipkart.com/stanley-surviva ... 2c5c01cc03

/S
Today's deal at flipkart
http://www.flipkart.com/stanley-surviva ... 2c5c01cc03

RamMani,
Karur(TN)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 pm

There are no good branded axes available in india like wetterlings and granfors . ...... there are just gerbers and local made axes......
Unless you are collecting, I think the Gerbers and Stanleys will do the trick. The good axes normally come from places which have a history of heavy logging, like Granfors from Sweden, etc. Or else you can try knifecenter and pray the customs will let it through!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:14 am

I have been following this axe thread with interest. We have some old axes here in the USA that were noteworthy. The most famous name in axes here is the "Kelly Perfect" which were made from the 1800s, I think. They were bought by True Temper and remained good tools for many more years. They were noted for having excellent steel and quality, along with a unique design.

Note the scallops on these double bitted Kelly Perfect heads:

The idea is that, when the axe head is driven into the wood with the grain, the scalloped edges reduce the surface area against the wood, making the axe easier to pull back out from the wood. This design is unique to Kelly Perfect.

I have a double bitted head like this that I found I the woods. I also have a very nice Kelly Perfect True Temper that is marked "Property of Nickel Plate RR" (an old railroad in the USA) from my Dad. I have a Plumb with a 2.5 Kg head that I fitted with a short straight handle. Here, a cruising axe is a small, short handled axe that's used for cutting through slash and brush. A friend who worked in the Forest Service thought that this heavy head would work great with a short handle for my forays into the woods to gather heating fuel for the winter. I used a chain saw for cutting and a maul and wedges for splitting, but this short heavy axe worked great for cutting branches from felled trees and occasional light splitting duty. Finally, I have a super old axe that I got from my Dad. The interesting thing about this axe is that you can see it was made from a piece of plate steel which was forged and hammer-welded to form the eye for the handle. It is nicely done, but I always wondered what the story is behind it.

Here is a picture that shows the different kinds of axe heads.

Here is an article about the Kelly Perfect axe company:

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yestery ... o.%20.html

I know that these are American axes, which is why I was hesitant to post this information on the thread. However, sometimes I see these axe heads for sale on eBay and I thought that, if anyone was interested, maybe you could find one cheap enough to be shipped to India and you could put a new handle in it.

I wish I could take some pictures of my axes and show them here, but they are all in storage in Texas :-(
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:27 am

Hey timmy...... great info .......pls don't hesitate to share any type of info whether the stuff is american or whatever . We got something new to know. So thanks a lot bro. Share the pics of your axes also.....

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:31 am

Raghvendra:

My Dad also had a small Collins (another very old USA axe company) "Hudson Bay" style axe. These were small, light axes that had a small head and large angled cutting surface, somewhat like what one might think of as a "tomahawk" style. The idea was a lightweight axe that could be carried about more easily than a standard, large axe, with a head that weighed have as much or less. My Brother got this Collins axe; I do not have it. It looks a lot like this:

Here is an article on Hudson Bay style axes:

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.de/2010/12/ ... eview.html

Finally, here is an article about axes in general that you might find interesting.

http://thewoodslife.com/?p=435

I submit this with the idea that, in your searches, you might find something to your liking by using "Hudson Bay" as a search term. I was thinking that, if you could find an axe head to your liking, you can always put a handle on it.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Timmy ......thanks a lot for such a great information on axes. The links provided interesting facts about axes. Granfors bruks and wetterlings axes are available in india through cart2india and junglee.in . These brand axes are of very high quality and very finely finished .

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I love to collect knives for my collection. I recently came across come good axes from good online stores like amazon, ebay.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:07 am

There are many online knife stores where you might find the best Axes & other Gerber knives in India.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 am

I have come across some good knives online. But have not seen any good looking axes.

Regards

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm

timmy wrote:Raghvendra:

My Dad also had a small Collins (another very old USA axe company) "Hudson Bay" style axe. These were small, light axes that had a small head and large angled cutting surface, somewhat like what one might think of as a "tomahawk" style. The idea was a lightweight axe that could be carried about more easily than a standard, large axe, with a head that weighed have as much or less. My Brother got this Collins axe; I do not have it. It looks a lot like this:

[ Image ]

Here is an article on Hudson Bay style axes:

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.de/2010/12/ ... eview.html

Finally, here is an article about axes in general that you might find interesting.

http://thewoodslife.com/?p=435

I submit this with the idea that, in your searches, you might find something to your liking by using "Hudson Bay" as a search term. I was thinking that, if you could find an axe head to your liking, you can always put a handle on it.
Timmy, here's my Collins Hudson Bay axe which sounds like is identical to yours. I made a handle for it from "Osage Orange" which is a hard and durable wood. It is also hard to shape!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 am

aadhaulya wrote:I have come across some good knives online. But have not seen any good looking axes.

Regards
Hello aadhaulya,

Have a look at some axe from Gerber knife brand which are perfect for any camping, hunting or trekking expeditions also.

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Got a new axe head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

Raghvendrasingh wrote:Got a new axe head
Really a nice one.
Its seems to you have made it yourself.