An impulse buy!

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

An impulse buy!

Post by astronomy.domaine » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi all,
Having a few spare hrs over the weekend, i decided today to scout the M Saleh shop in downtown mumbai fsome knives. They have been recommended quite often as the right place for branded blades. So i had buck, neito, cold stee, opienel win mind when i entered the shop; only to be offered a single piece of muela that was available. so driven by knife lust or shear depravity bought this muela scorpion fighting knife...here are some pics..
"...there is no spoon..."!

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: An impulse buy!

Post by AnandNair » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:36 pm

looks good with a well balanced blade
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:42 am

Very nice !!

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:05 am

Neat looking knife AD.
Unfortunately no shops stock the better brands of knives here in Mumbai. At best one can find few gerbers (which i find crap) and few entry level cold steel models. No Ka Bars, Ontarios, Esee, Fallkniven etc to be found.
Heck they could atleast stock Moras which are far better user knives than any of current "branded" knives available here.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Thats true Kshitij, and what a shame... The gentleman at m saleh was telling me how the customs are bent on stalling and confiscating each consignment of knives that comes in these days. And since the market is repleat with cheap chinese replicas, its all the more difficult to find a reliable place to buy.
BTW...i also found another arms shop not far from Saleh who still have a few good Bucks left with. Prices are a bit steep but then u get the full "bang for your Buck".... So my next target is a hunting Buck with a gut hook thats available with them. As soon as i can convince myself with the price! :-)

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:28 pm

AD,
We normally group up and order knives from knifecenter to save the shipping costs. Other places I order are from the online retailers who ship on Cash On Delivery basis.
Sometimes you come across real bargains. Like this BK2
https://www.cart2india.com/knives/kabar ... 4301162495

At that price, i am almost tempted to get myself another one :P

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
I say bargain cause on knifecenter the BK2 retails for about 85usd but when you add 40$ shipping, 30% duty and the higher USD rates charged by banks while making the credit card transaction, the 85$ knife lands in India for about 12000INR.
Hence look around with a few online retailers and pick what you like rather than paying for the crap stocked by the shops here.

Added in 17 minutes 49 seconds:
After seeing the knives that you have made yourself, my honest suggestion would be to save up and buy high quality knives rather than spend money on knives that are equal to less than what you are making anyways.
*just my two cents of "unasked for" advice :mrgreen:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Makes perfect sense buddy...no point spending 10+ k in shops here when the authenticity is questionable..
...i was just getting itchy to get hands on a new blade...being away from all my tools n gadgets and space to make a few myself...hence the muela..am not a big muela fan but with an online price of 119usd and the one quoted by Saleh being inr4.5k,,, just couldnt resist..:-)
...online may be another good option if you get ur hands on deals like these...though i am kinda old faishoned in that way n like the the touch and feel quotient before buying.
Lastly, no advice is uncalled for when its coming from experience...so thanks indeed.!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 am

Hi AD!
Nice blade you got there....at least your trip downtown didn't let you down!!!!
Like Kshitij said, we can pool the requirements and save on the dispatch / courier charges...
Unfortunately local shops here do not stock the 'good ones'....thanks to our 'customs' !!!!
Cheers
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:08 am

Well, AD, that was probably the best knife you could buy in the ol' Urbs Prima Indis. Saleh did use to have Vics, but I think now that Basecamp is their authorised dealer/distributor, Vic themselves may be curtailing sales to others.

You would have also realised the overall "anti" mentality in the Maximum City, be it knives or guns, amongst officials and civvies both. Heck, even my Beretta and Glock cigarette lighters get scared looks until I light up with them!

I happen to be the unofficial Carrying and Forwarding Agent cum Bonded Warehouse for CMG's videshi sharpies, so the next time the knife center itch hits, you have my number!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley