Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hi All, During this Makar Sankranti I am in My Home town. Here in Jharkhand its a big Festival for Local people. Here it Also called Tusu parav. ( A version of Laxmi mata ). It Generally celebrated for a week. During this time Various Fairs and Other Cultural Activities organized here ( In and Around Jamshedpur and Singhbhum Distt.). In my area there was a tradition Archery Competition, I used to participate in that in my School days. Now as staying out of state so not in touch. this time I attended it and to My Surprise Our Local iron smith who used to make arrow heads for us is still there. He is happy to see us and give me 10 Arrow Heads. I used to have around 40 Arrows and 6/7 Bows during my school days but now lost. So I again made few of Arrows and one Bow. I am still making the rest. Will post pics once all are finished. Its As deadly as any ammo. for 50 Yrds.

Regards
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0292.JPG
DSC_0291.JPG
DSC_0290.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG
DSC_0288.JPG
DSC_0287.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0292.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Adivasi Bow and Arrows of Jharkhand

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 pm

This is Beautiful mate! I really admire the raw warrior spirit in Tribal India... Lucky you! Perhaps you should make a detailed post on how to build those bows, select material, process the sinews and wood etc. Another post could be made on bow shooting perhaps. Most of us city shooters wouldn't be able to hit an elephant with one those at 50 ft! I doubt only a few would even be able to shoot that far with it... :D

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi nitroex700,Thanks for Appreciation. its not that tough. only thing you need is Bamboo. its plenty in my area and most commonly available in other areas too . the Arrow Head any good Iron Smith can make or its Available on line. in my Area the Bow string is also made with a thin bamboo bark. After treating it for long lasting it can last 10/15 yrs. and if you draw string to the Minimum level then also you will able to reach up to 30/40 yrds. only care needed part is to make the string as thin as possible and Making the Arrows perfectly balanced and tying the feathers at tail end for balance. here we use the flight feathers of any bird like pigeon, duck etc. any way I am Making another bow ( Right now the Bamboo is going through its seasoning process) i will post those pics shortly.
Regards

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Yes. I have some basic idea of what goes into it. But unaware of the techniques followed by the Jharkhandis..
How do you prepare the rope?
I suppose the bamboo for bow has been treated with some kind of oil to increase flexibility? Do you make compound bows with wood and sinews as well?
Another area is the arrow balancing technique. Most of us are happily unaware of it! Do you make cane arrows or light wood? What are the dimensions of the material used and its preparation?
Finally you could have a separate thread on aiming and shooting bows. Despite my relative skill with a rifle, I find it particularly challenging to shoot straight with a bow! :)

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Dear Shivaji,
You reminded me my old days of Jharkhand,the then Bihar.
I was born and brought up in Sindri, Dhanbad.
I had the same bow and arrows with me.I got it done by one Adivasi only.
It is a deadly yet nice weapon.
So far I can recall my bow was 4.5 feet and arrows were more than 2 Feet.

Basu
Last edited by Basu on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all those wander , are lost...............

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Basu wrote:Dear Shivaji,
You reminded me my old days of Jharkhand,the then Bihar.
I was born and brought up in Sindri, Dhanbad.
I had the same bow and arrows with me.I got it done by one Adivasi only.
It is a deadly yet nice weapon.
So far I can recall my bow was 4.5 " and arrows were more than 2".

Basu
Ah! We city kids were never exposed to the RAW side of mother nature while growing up.. Post teenage the beast took over somehow... :mrgreen:
A beautiful survival tool a bow can be. From keeping one fed and clothed to asserting his dominance in a jungle, it can do it all! The Santhals used it with deadly effectiveness against the Brits and the Salwa Judum against the naxals..

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 am

Nostalgic feeling. But this is indeed a very nice opportunity to test your skills at the venue. Post some more pictures of the archery tournament if possible.
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:02 am

Basu Sir
You are very right, All over Jharkhand, CG and Orissa its the same technique Followed mostly. The Bow is Generally 4.5 to 5.5 Ft and Arrows are 24" to 30".
Dear nitroex700, Thanks for your Deep interest in this topic. I am answering your Points
1. The Rope or String, Here we do not use any rope, Its a Very thin Bark of bamboo its locally known as Chila or Pardcha, but its thick at both ends and we made Grooves there to tie up a short Nylon cord to attach it with bow. I will post the pictures so that it will be more clear to you. while preparing the String we generally select the matured yellow bamboo so that it will take less time to get seasoned. its Generally a 1/2 or Quarter cm width of Bamboo Approx 4 Ft to 4.5Ft long. The both End should be the place where the Node is present so it will be more strong. then we leave approx 3" from both the sides uncut then gradually skinning the bamboo the thinnest level possible. at teh end we make groves ( 2 Groves) on both the side to tie up Cord.
2. here generally bamboo is used only to make the bow. wooden Bows are not common here. only the professional sports persons used wooden bows. Approx 1" to 1.5" width and 4.5 ft to 5.5 ft long (6 Ft also in some cases where its needed for Long distance Shooting) Bamboo is selected ( both the end must have node) After Cutting the end Grooves and giving the bow its a Raw Shape, both the bow and the strings ( Strings are generally made two or three at one go) are Plastered with a layer of a Mixture of Fine clay, Dry Cow Dung powder, Dry Mustard paste, neem leaf Powder, Dhuna powder ( I don't know its English name but its a Scented tree Raisin ) Ghamhar three bark powder and mustard or Neem oil ( a Thick coating of this Paste is Applied on every piece and dipped in water for 4/5 days. after removing it from water, the coating is removed and a layer of Neem oil is pun on every Piece and then again the same plaster mixture is coated again. After that the Bamboo pieces are kept at a place where it can be exposed at Smoke and Head ( Generally at the roof or Roof Height of Our traditional kitchens, I used to keep them at our Farm house Kitchen) As long as you can but atleast for a week till the plaster dried off. the last color of Bamboo will be Golden Yellow. then the final touch is given and Cords are tied at string ends. Adivasi people in general do some Puja and sacrifice ( A Pigeon or Murga ) before start using their new set of Bow and Arrows.
3. For Arrows Secondary or Tertiary branches of Bamboo is used. Its either 24" or 30" long but initially 2 to 3" extra is kept to make the Balancing. First Making the Stick Straight. Its done with the help of a open Flame Generally a open Kerosene Lamp. the bend area is heated and then a light force applied in opposite of bend to make it straight. after that its again go through the same Seasoning process same as bow and Strings. then the mid point of the stick is decided by placing it at a finger or any dull point surface. the mid point is marked and then the Arrow head is inserted. First the Arrow end is dipped in Molten Dhuna or any Tree raisin and the Arrow Head is Immediately inserted before it get solid. a thread is coiled at the Arrow head and Stick Junction or a metal piece ( aluminium or Tin plate) is also used to make it more strong. after that again the mid Point is decided by the same Technique. generally the first and the second Marking will be 1 or 2" apart. the exact mid of the two of the marks is considered as mid point. from there exactly same distance at both the ends measured and if there is anything extra then its cut separate from tail end. Adivasi use their index and Middle finger to hold the Arrow not the Thumb and index so at tail end one Z shape groove is made to get better hold with string. Then the arrow is shoot few times to find out that is there any dis balancing of any other problem persists. if everything is ok then the feathers are tied at tail end to make the flight stable. I feel that the perfect feather tying is an art and its really a hectic and time taking work.

4. Arrow Shooting: Till the best of my Exp. for Long Distance shooting a Parabolic path is selected by shooting some Marker arrows ( Colored or Flagged ) and for short distance or for hunting the straight shooting is required. most of the Adivasi Children sharpen their Skill with pest control at their fields. adivasi people consider it As their religious weapon and very sensitive with making of it. in many families bows and Arrows are made with such perfection that it last for generations. they also use different arrow heads for different purposes. Even wooden Blunt Arrow Head is also used to hunt Birds, Metal spiked Arrow Head is used for fishing or killing snakes, crabs etc, Half moon shape is used for cutting an obstacle. there are many other types like four spike, three spike, long blade etc.

Hope i am able to answer your quarries up to some extent.

Regards

vishal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vishal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Really impressive stuff. Recently I was in a remote village in Maharashtra. Stopped my car to see a blacksmith forge arrowhead for adivasis. I spoke to them. They were happy to share information and I was excited to listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I have shot the Fulani nomad bow and arrows in northern west Africa. Once a peaceful savanna, and now home to the notorious boko haram.

A very sweet bow. The arrow shafts were made from reed like plants (but much stronger) found in the savanna and look and feel like dry guava sticks. I'm sure those of us who have made catapult from guava Y sticks and cycle tube rubber yesteryear know just what I mean :D Arrow heads were bound by leather strings and some sort of bark glue, the bow string used to be leather (they are primarily herdsmen). Now they carry AK 47's due to severe conflicts with farmers and due to drought and armed cattle bandits.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:Basu Sir
You are very right, All over Jharkhand, CG and Orissa its the same technique Followed mostly. The Bow is Generally 4.5 to 5.5 Ft and Arrows are 24" to 30".
Dear nitroex700, Thanks for your Deep interest in this topic. I am answering your Points
1. The Rope or String, Here we do not use any rope, Its a Very thin Bark of bamboo its locally known as Chila or Pardcha, but its thick at both ends and we made Grooves there to tie up a short Nylon cord to attach it with bow. I will post the pictures so that it will be more clear to you. while preparing the String we generally select the matured yellow bamboo so that it will take less time to get seasoned. its Generally a 1/2 or Quarter cm width of Bamboo Approx 4 Ft to 4.5Ft long. The both End should be the place where the Node is present so it will be more strong. then we leave approx 3" from both the sides uncut then gradually skinning the bamboo the thinnest level possible. at teh end we make groves ( 2 Groves) on both the side to tie up Cord.
2. here generally bamboo is used only to make the bow. wooden Bows are not common here. only the professional sports persons used wooden bows. Approx 1" to 1.5" width and 4.5 ft to 5.5 ft long (6 Ft also in some cases where its needed for Long distance Shooting) Bamboo is selected ( both the end must have node) After Cutting the end Grooves and giving the bow its a Raw Shape, both the bow and the strings ( Strings are generally made two or three at one go) are Plastered with a layer of a Mixture of Fine clay, Dry Cow Dung powder, Dry Mustard paste, neem leaf Powder, Dhuna powder ( I don't know its English name but its a Scented tree Raisin ) Ghamhar three bark powder and mustard or Neem oil ( a Thick coating of this Paste is Applied on every piece and dipped in water for 4/5 days. after removing it from water, the coating is removed and a layer of Neem oil is pun on every Piece and then again the same plaster mixture is coated again. After that the Bamboo pieces are kept at a place where it can be exposed at Smoke and Head ( Generally at the roof or Roof Height of Our traditional kitchens, I used to keep them at our Farm house Kitchen) As long as you can but atleast for a week till the plaster dried off. the last color of Bamboo will be Golden Yellow. then the final touch is given and Cords are tied at string ends. Adivasi people in general do some Puja and sacrifice ( A Pigeon or Murga ) before start using their new set of Bow and Arrows.
3. For Arrows Secondary or Tertiary branches of Bamboo is used. Its either 24" or 30" long but initially 2 to 3" extra is kept to make the Balancing. First Making the Stick Straight. Its done with the help of a open Flame Generally a open Kerosene Lamp. the bend area is heated and then a light force applied in opposite of bend to make it straight. after that its again go through the same Seasoning process same as bow and Strings. then the mid point of the stick is decided by placing it at a finger or any dull point surface. the mid point is marked and then the Arrow head is inserted. First the Arrow end is dipped in Molten Dhuna or any Tree raisin and the Arrow Head is Immediately inserted before it get solid. a thread is coiled at the Arrow head and Stick Junction or a metal piece ( aluminium or Tin plate) is also used to make it more strong. after that again the mid Point is decided by the same Technique. generally the first and the second Marking will be 1 or 2" apart. the exact mid of the two of the marks is considered as mid point. from there exactly same distance at both the ends measured and if there is anything extra then its cut separate from tail end. Adivasi use their index and Middle finger to hold the Arrow not the Thumb and index so at tail end one Z shape groove is made to get better hold with string. Then the arrow is shoot few times to find out that is there any dis balancing of any other problem persists. if everything is ok then the feathers are tied at tail end to make the flight stable. I feel that the perfect feather tying is an art and its really a hectic and time taking work.

4. Arrow Shooting: Till the best of my Exp. for Long Distance shooting a Parabolic path is selected by shooting some Marker arrows ( Colored or Flagged ) and for short distance or for hunting the straight shooting is required. most of the Adivasi Children sharpen their Skill with pest control at their fields. adivasi people consider it As their religious weapon and very sensitive with making of it. in many families bows and Arrows are made with such perfection that it last for generations. they also use different arrow heads for different purposes. Even wooden Blunt Arrow Head is also used to hunt Birds, Metal spiked Arrow Head is used for fishing or killing snakes, crabs etc, Half moon shape is used for cutting an obstacle. there are many other types like four spike, three spike, long blade etc.

Hope i am able to answer your quarries up to some extent.

Regards
That is a TON of information! Esp the bamboo curing part - I didn't know it was so evolved a technology. You should make a video or probably a post with pictures. Am sure there will be many more people interested in this kind of stuff here. Very Nice! Cheers! (y) (y) (y) :)

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 pm

some of the arrow heads
1 blunt wooden arrow head.
A H 3.jpg
A H 3.jpg
2. Long blade arrow heads
A H 3.jpg
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 pm

This thread reminds me of Limba Ram.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:some of the arrow heads
1 blunt wooden arrow head.
A H 3.jpgA H 3.jpg

2. Long blade arrow heads
A H 3.jpg

Regards
Nice! I have seen the long arrowhead ones myself. The blunt heads are new to me.

vedula1995
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vedula1995 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:41 am

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:Hi All, During this Makar Sankranti I am in My Home town. Here in Jharkhand its a big Festival for Local people. Here it Also called Tusu parav. ( A version of Laxmi mata ). It Generally celebrated for a week. During this time Various Fairs and Other Cultural Activities organized here ( In and Around Jamshedpur and Singhbhum Distt.). In my area there was a tradition Archery Competition, I used to participate in that in my School days. Now as staying out of state so not in touch. this time I attended it and to My Surprise Our Local iron smith who used to make arrow heads for us is still there. He is happy to see us and give me 10 Arrow Heads. I used to have around 40 Arrows and 6/7 Bows during my school days but now lost. So I again made few of Arrows and one Bow. I am still making the rest. Will post pics once all are finished. Its As deadly as any ammo. for 50 Yrds.

Regards
DSC_0294.JPGDSC_0294.JPGDSC_0292.JPGDSC_0291.JPGDSC_0290.JPGDSC_0289.JPGDSC_0288.JPGDSC_0287.JPGDSC_0294.JPGDSC_0293.JPGDSC_0292.JPG
Hey user,from Jamshedpur here,Tusu parav was great. These bow and arrows are great,can you tell me where I can get a pair of those?

Thanks.