Gift from a friend with a history of a forgotten revolt.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Gift from a friend with a history of a forgotten revolt.

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

A very good evening to All. Here to present a small piece of history ( I would like to inform you all that There is no Official Records to confirm its authenticity ). This Dushera/Durga puja I was in my home town. Just Relaxing and meeting my old friends and known. One of my old aged friend Sanko Munda met me, He belongs to a small village near Manoharpur Area and working as a cook at Jamshedpur for last 40 yrs+. Due to his age he want to return to his own village. As we two were spend a good lot of time in jungles and in our firm so we were very close till I left the town around 98 for higher studies and job ( In fact my first bow and arrow set was a gift from him). In 28th evening it was lightly raining and seeping some fresh Mahua he told me that he has some precious belongings and as all of his relatives left him so before returning back to his village he will give it to me. At first I thought it’s the effect of the liquor but on 2nd morning he gave me the below Items.As a Family tradition being elder son of the family Sanko kept these with him.
tlwr3.jpg
The history is as follows these weapons belongs to late Danku Munda, grand father of my friend Sanko. Danku Munda was An associate of Birsa Munda. Who joined Birsa Munda at an age of 16/17. As per Sanko these weapons were extensively used through the Ulugulan revolt or the Santhal revolt of 1899--1900 against the british rule. These were personal weapons of Danku Munda along with bow and arrow. These weapons were with Danku Munda at the final night they fought in jungle with British forces commanded by major Harris near chakradharpur. Danku Munda wounded with gun shots presumed dead and left in the forest for wild animals to clean up with other approx. 60 freedom fighters died in firing. Later on in the morning he got some help from nearby villagers and managed to escape. Forces arrested Birsa Munda and around 500 of his followers at that night. Most of them never returned home. Danku munda died around 1972/73 ( No confirm year I get as the tribal are still calculating numeric in multiplication of 20. ( Eg. If a persons age is 60 then it will be said as tin kuri means 3*20 so with reverse calculation I derive that Danku munda must be died around 1972/73). Very less written history is available on these revolts and whatever was available destroyed by British and following govt.s.

I am really speechless with this humble gift which still kept the scent of an forgotten era and forgotten people who give their lives for the country.

1. Weapon description.

i. One sword hand forged by local Iron smith. Lot of rust and dirt. I cleaned up and found the metal is surprisingly in very good condition.

ii. One Tangi ( the fish tail shaped Axe) the blade is approx. 11 inches and the bamboo handle is 5ft+ in length. Its now blackish in color due to age I think. The blade is hand forged and quite thick. Still its sharp thought the surface is rusted ( Yet to clean)

iii. One spear with bamboo handle around 3 ½ ft length. Blade is approx. 7 inch. Rusted. It is little loose at handle fix point.

I will try to spend more time to restore these precious gifts and post the pics.
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

For Advertising mail webmaster
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Gift from a friend with a history of a forgotten revolt.

Post by SMJ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 am

Beautiful gifts sir!! And a lovely write up....thank you for sharing. Hope you do manage to restore them[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta,

Congratulation on acquiring a piece of history. As provenance, it would be beneficial to you, to get a letter, from Sanko Munda, in his hand confirming the story. You can also try to look for any historical records for Danku Munda, if you can get a photograph of him or any of his associates it would be great.

Also look for period photo's of the time, showing similar weapons. This should help you build a provenance.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta,

Many thanks for sharing the history of the weapons and the photo. I read about Birsa Munda and the Santhal rebellion. You are fortunate to have come into possession of items associated with one of the most significant yet little known episodes in our freedom struggle.

I hope your friend gets to enjoy his retirement in peace.

Best regards-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 pm

SMJ, Pistolero, Vikram. Thanks for your views.
I have also tried to get as much Info As I can but there are some problems.

1. The Adivasi people was mostly illiterate at that time so they never care for a documented records about there movement. They use dense forest and hills as their primary line of defense for Guerrilla war. Getting a photograph was something like getting a UFO or meeting the God on earth like thing on those days.
2. In this whole rebellion only photograph existed is of Birsa Munda ( two Photos) one was taken by his friend and employer late Mr. Anand Pande and second was taken in Chaibasa Jail after his arrest.
3. His most of the followers were brutally murdered by British and Landlords and disposes in mass graves. Even Birsa Munda Himself was suspected to be poisoned in jail and declared died in cholera. more than a dozen of mass grave sites are still existed and to local Tribal a Sacred place where they do some puja and offerings.
4. very little documents are existed about the details of his followers. most of the records were destroyed in British time and whatever the remaining survivors existed post independence never come forward to claim their involvement in a fear of retaliation by jamindars. few police and Jail records are all which is survived till date.
5. Danku Munda Was a participant in the movement that is certain b coz as i heard that his samadhi is regularly worshiped by the villagers as a Ulugulan/Hul fighter.

I think its a good idea from pistolero to get a letter from Sanko to certify the history of his gifts, I am also thinking to get a letter from the head of their village about Danku munda and his involvement in Ulugulan/Hul movement.

I appreciate Any Suggestion about restoration.

Regards.
Regards

Shivaji

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pm

For Restoration check this:
http://picreator.co.uk/renaissance-metal-de-corroder/
Expensive but worth it.

Get photos, get any records from Books or Official Archives, it will help build the story. In the long run Provenance is what will ensure that this is not lost to the ages. It is a bit of an effort, but this is History which deserves to be preserved.

There are many unsung hero's, this is an opportunity to bring one of them back in the pages of history.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

pistolero wrote:There are many unsung hero's, this is an opportunity to bring one of them back in the pages of history.

Very well said.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Its Really A good Idea. I am Already on it. get some details from Govt Records and Also some net Articles showing that really a Fight was happened on 3 March 1900 in Jamkopai forest, Chakradharpur. While sleeping at night a traitor lead the govt forces near the Tribal band of fighters approx 700-800 men. Forces of around 110 men from Chaibasa cant. armed with martini Henri and Lee .303. Fired almost 450 rounds that night. killed 60 freedom fighters ( No Name and Details available only mention Rebels) and injured around 100/150 men. arrested 480+ including Birsa Munda.

I will try to get as much details as possible and post it .
Thanks for help in restoration.

Regards.
Regards

Shivaji

DPBRAR
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by DPBRAR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Congrats

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 am

Wow, truly amazing fragments of the famous birsa munda legend. I am glad that this legend is passed to you, congrats on your possession of the history.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death