Bladesmiths/knifemakers Hyderabad

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Bladesmiths in Hyderabad

Post by Mike B » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Hello and apologize for taking up my firearm friends time with a question about knifemakers/bladesmiths but your help would be appreciated. I am the owner of an edge sharpness testing instrument company in the US and also host a knife forum (BESS Exchange) and will be visiting Hyderabad the end of February, 2020. I would like to visit some knife makers/bladesmiths in the city if possible. Can anyone here help me with the names of individuals who are active in the business of forging/making custom made knives in the Hyderabad area? Not really looking for big commercial operations - just small craftsmen.

Can't seem to find a knife forum based in India so if you think my question would be better placed there and can provide the forum name, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Bladesmiths/knifemakers Hyderabad

Post by Mike B » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Hello. I placed this post in a different section of this forum and am hoping to have better luck here.

I am the owner of an edge sharpness testing instrument company in the US and also host a knife forum (BESS Exchange) and will be visiting Hyderabad the end of February, 2020. I would like to visit some knife makers/bladesmiths in the city if possible. Can anyone here help me with the names of individuals who are active in the business of forging/making custom made knives in the Hyderabad area? Not really looking for big commercial operations - just small craftsmen.

Can't seem to find a knife forum based in India so if you think my question would be better placed there and can provide the forum name, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Bladesmiths/knifemakers Hyderabad

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Welcome aboard, let me give some enthusiasts who are in the know a heads up. Maybe they'll be able to help you out...
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mike B » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 am

Much appreciated!

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Bladesmiths in Hyderabad

Post by supershaji » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 am

Mike B wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:24 pm
Hello and apologize for taking up my firearm friends time with a question about knifemakers/bladesmiths but your help would be appreciated. I am the owner of an edge sharpness testing instrument company in the US and also host a knife forum (BESS Exchange) and will be visiting Hyderabad the end of February, 2020. I would like to visit some knife makers/bladesmiths in the city if possible. Can anyone here help me with the names of individuals who are active in the business of forging/making custom made knives in the Hyderabad area? Not really looking for big commercial operations - just small craftsmen.

Thanks in advance,
Mike,

I know of one young man who has a forge and makes awesome artifacts with scrap and other stuff too, and exhibits them in shows etc.

I'm not sure he makes knives, but he does run his forge professionally. Maybe dialogue with you may streamline him into forging knives too; Hyderabad is, after all, in the Telangana region and thats where wootz steel was said to be originally developed.

I'll show him your query and ask him if he's ok to share his contact with you.

Hope that suits
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am

Hello Mike, I have dabbled with knife making for the past 10 years or so and consider my self a hobby knifesmith. I am not too sure you will find professional knife makers in India as in the united states due to restrictions and various other causes. The village blacksmith would be you best bet but their expertise and knowledge base is usually limited to traditional agricultural tools and implements. Would love to catch up with you though if you could visit my state.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:18 pm

The Best Place to find the Traditional Knife makers is Rajasthan and Parts of UP. Not sure of Hyderabad.
Even in North east the Traditional Khukri and Different Daw or Big Choppers are available made by Local black smiths. May not able to help you Mike in Hyderabad but if In case you are in or around Rajasthan or Eastern India then I would Love to give you some craftsmen details where you can find the goodies you are expecting.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mike B » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks to all and would be happy to receive the perspective of knife makers and enthusiasts in India by meeting or other means when I am in India. I will be in Hyderabad on unrelated business (unrelated to the knife business) the last week of February and then to Goa for the weekend and then back to Hyderabad for a few days. I hope that Mr. Supershaji's contact works out because that's the best opportunity presented to date.

I have been somewhat surprised by some bits and pieces I've picked up while researching this topic. I ran across a post asking " where can I purchase a pocket knife in Hyderabad?" This was my first clue that things might be somewhat different in India than here because pocket knives are as common here as tea is in China (and India as well as I understand) so learning something about regulations and practices regarding knives in India would be enlightening.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:43 am

Any blade of length more than 6 inches of length is not permitted in India. As per law you can't carry them with you any where. But there are some points in the law which differs the first rule. Like the Kitchen Knifes and the Choppers of different purpose are usually more than 6 inches of Length and they are permitted. Blades used for Crop Cutting and other similar purpose is also permitted under agricultural tools.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

parsha77
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by parsha77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Mike,

I am a hobbyist knife craftsman but I take my hobby seriously😊
I have made knives from O1, leaf spring and old file steel.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Mike,

Professional Testing,the kind you refer to, the only companies, which engage in that exercise, are Fiskar's and Godrej Cartini, who manufacture in India.

Smith's in India, usually water quench spring steel and rarely they are oil quenched. Metallurgical knowledge is little to none.
A decent smith, develops a edge quench technique through years of experience.

This probably might not be the right audience for your product. Village smiths, and travelling smiths can be found all over India, selling basic tools from $2 to $10. Again not very interested in testing.

I do know some people who would be interested to learn more about what you have to offer. They are however not based in Hyderabad but in Mumbai. Would be happy to connect anyway and help you on this journey. Will send you a PM.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

parsha77
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by parsha77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:00 pm

@pistolero I am interested in getting in touch with other fellow knifemakers from Mumbai.

Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mike B » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks to all for the help and information. Just to be clear - neither my questions here on this forum nor my trip to India is predicated on promoting any products. I'm simply interested in learning more about individual craftsmen and their methods during my stay in India. I also own a farm in Kansas. If I can't find a knife maker in Hyderabad I'll spend my free time learning about agricultural practices in India. Now please don't tell me that crops aren't grown in the region! :)

I too took a shot at making knives from spring steel. I made several as gifts and work well in the kitchen but are, of course, subject to rust. The picture below shows two different colors of handles and the knife in progress. We cut the blades from .032 inch 1095 spring steel (just under a mm) sheet goods and the handles are Delrin. Overall length is about 11 inches (28 cm).
Knife spring Steel.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Mike B wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm
Thanks to all for the help and information. Just to be clear - neither my questions here on this forum nor my trip to India is predicated on promoting any products. I'm simply interested in learning more about individual craftsmen and their methods during my stay in India. I also own a farm in Kansas. If I can't find a knife maker in Hyderabad I'll spend my free time learning about agricultural practices in India. Now please don't tell me that crops aren't grown in the region! :)

I too took a shot at making knives from spring steel. I made several as gifts and work well in the kitchen but are, of course, subject to rust. The picture below shows two different colors of handles and the knife in progress. We cut the blades from .032 inch 1095 spring steel (just under a mm) sheet goods and the handles are Delrin. Overall length is about 11 inches (28 cm).

Knife spring Steel.JPG
Looks good.
Are you making all sort of knifes.
Last year I saw one of our forum member has made some beautiful knifes by himself. I will post that topic here. I just forgot the name of the fellow member who was doing it.
Regards

Shivaji

Mike B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mike B » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 pm

You're too kind to me Shivaji.Dasgupta. We don't really make knives here at our business. The previous picture in my post represents an experiment that I wanted to conduct and it turned out semi-successful.

Here's an example of of what a real bladesmith can produce. This is a hunting knife made by one our customers in South Dakota:
Mortimer resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.