Bow string and it's Materials.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Bow string and it's Materials.

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 pm

To all eminent members and co enthusiasts, I am preparing a details of bow string materials available in India and worldwide.
Till now my search result is as follows..
1. Raw hide
2. Linen
3. Sinew
4. Hemp
5. Barks such as bamboo. Cane etc
6. Modern fibers such as decron or other synthetic fibers.
7. Animal intestine ( processed and cured)
Till now I am able to use 1, 2,3,5 and 7.
Any one have any idea of other materials.
My only intentions are to find out which one is more strong and sturdy as per our Indian climates.
Regards

Shivaji

For Advertising mail webmaster
russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Bow string and it's Materials.

Post by russianshooter3 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 pm

for indian climate better use synthetic fibers

for example about knife
My friends live in GOA and some other states - 6 mouth
he took a knife for various household tasks.Knife made in Russia with traditional material looks like leather holster, leather knife handle
and carbon damask steel blade

the knife rusted on the second day! knife leather handle broken - 7 day!
Last edited by russianshooter3 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:24 am

russianshooter3 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 pm
for indian climate better use synthetic fibers

for example about knife
My friends live in GOA and some other states - 6 mouth
he took a knife for various household tasks.Knife made in Russia with traditional material looks like leather holster, leather knife handle and
carbon damask steel blade

the knife rusted on the second day! knife leather handle broken - 7 day!
You may be Right on Knife but the synthetic Material has its own disadvantages though it has the advantages like available in ready to use form etc. but for Wooden and other material Bows like cane and bamboo bows are more suitable with Tree Barks and Processed Animal Guts. Till now that's what I feel .
I am trying to check the Strength of each product with Wooden and Bamboo Bows. Shortly I will Able to put some Pics on this topic.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:25 am

Catgut.jpg
cord from Animal Intestine Fibre
Sinew.jpg
Sinew
Bamboo bark as Bow string.jpg
Bamboo Bark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

yr1994
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by yr1994 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

I have been using the Bearpaw 'Whisper String' for a while now on my 60lb recurve bow without any problems. I use it in combination with beaver tail silencers. Makes them really quiet.
For your reference-:
http://www.bearpaw-blog.com/bearpaw-whi ... -a-name-2/

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 am

Getting the materials in India is difficult ........natural materials used for bowstring, the bow and arrows requires skill to make and use them ....the range is also limited .......whereas modern string and bow materials are more user friendly.........although frankly speaking I have not used either type of bow and arrow

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon May 10, 2021 8:21 pm

riflemarksman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 am
Getting the materials in India is difficult ........natural materials used for bowstring, the bow and arrows requires skill to make and use them ....the range is also limited .......whereas modern string and bow materials are more user friendly.........although frankly speaking I have not used either type of bow and arrow
[/quote
Extremely sorry for delay in reply. You are right. Getting a good brand of foreign make is very difficult. I used to make my own bow and arrows. I used bamboo or cane for bow and bamboo bark and processed animal guts as bow string. One problem with raw hide or processed guts I faced is, if not used regularly then different insects starts destroying this material.
In this matter processed bamboo bark is more reliable. I am using a set of bow and arrow for last 18/19 years and some use them for generations.
For a range with an arrow is not an issue, I can shot up to 40/45 yards with my bow which is a very simple bow. A skilled tribal archer an shot more than 50 yards easily.
Arrows used for long distance shot and close hunting shots are different. Also there are arrows for fishing, snake hunting, bird hunting, and for the mid size animals like deer, porcupine fox, bear, rabbit, hogs etc.
Any thing bigger than this is preferably shot with poisoned tips. And in general different poisonous herbs and materials used to make the poison for arrows.
I saw that in parts of Nagaland, people use cane barks as strings but I don't know how to process cane bark. I will try with same process as I used to process bamboo.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm

yr1994 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm
I have been using the Bearpaw 'Whisper String' for a while now on my 60lb recurve bow without any problems. I use it in combination with beaver tail silencers. Makes them really quiet.
For your reference-:
http://www.bearpaw-blog.com/bearpaw-whi ... -a-name-2/

Extremely sorry for the delay in reply, yes I saw it. Good reviews, I am sure the product it self will also be good. You are lucky bro. You have easy access to these products. Here availability is an issue even if one is ready to pay for it.
Regards

Shivaji