pocket knife import experience using post or courier

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: pocket knife import experience using post or courier

Post by Moin. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Subal das wrote:I also imported two knives by normal post, USPS will be going trough Indian post. Both knives 5.11 tactical CUB karambit and Kabar Fin clearly military knives with no domestic use, no problem at all.
I was under the assumption that there should be no issues with knives under 9 inches in length and 2 inches wide. Also I had ordered a really cool Zippo Lighter, did'nt know import of cigarette lighetr was restricted as well :shock:

Is this an issue with the courier service 20north is using ?

Thanks & Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

For Advertising mail webmaster
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 pm

cant comment on 20north, many peoples buy different items from them, which is not available in India and on good prices, but for knives perhaps someone who deals in knives only would be better option
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:02 am

Subal das wrote:cant comment on 20north, many peoples buy different items from them, which is not available in India and on good prices, but for knives perhaps someone who deals in knives only would be better option

Thanks Subal; There was a difference of INR 200 between 20north and Tomars KA BARS. I assumed 20north would have a better infrastructre in place for shiiping considering number of items being sent to India.

But more importantly are you aware of any restriction on the blade length that can be sent by courier. The KABAR's got a 7.5 inch blade, compared to 5 inches of the KABR FIN. I also recall being told by the salesperson at Basecamp selling Muelas that they can't legally sell blades over 5 inches long which seemed strange as they already have a huge bowie for sale. :?

Thanks
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:18 pm

most Kabars traditional knives have blade in 7", but there is same absolutely knives in
5 1/4"
http://www.tomarskabars.com/1250_INFO.html

I would better buy shorter knife like Fin and 7" kabar, some guy can cut 10 1L watter bottles at once with 7" kabar, you can cut only 1 with 5" blade because blade is short.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Subal das wrote:most Kabars traditional knives have blade in 7", but there is same absolutely knives in
5 1/4"
http://www.tomarskabars.com/1250_INFO.html

I would better buy shorter knife like Fin and 7" kabar, some guy can cut 10 1L watter bottles at once with 7" kabar, you can cut only 1 with 5" blade because blade is short.
Yes Subal, I was considering the USMC short, but then I thought the Standard sized one is a true combat classic like the F Skyes and would be a great baseline to start collecting quality combat blades. Sad the way Law abiding citizens are denied the simple and primitive pleasures that life has to offer. :( . Will try later fron Tomars. Do post pics of your Fin, the picture you had posted earlier was not at all clear.

Thanks & Regards

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:58 pm

if kabar is 7" only and not more then 2" wide, then you can import it. There is a lot of confusing information regarding this issue. For example when I received my Kabar Fin in post office, box was sealed, nobody even opened it and nobody checked if it is 5" 7" or 9".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here is Fin and two aluminium trainers, which I made my self.

I do not collecting knives, I buy those knives which I think I may use. If I don't like a knife I will give it as a gift to some relatives or friend, not going to part with Fin, though
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 am

Subal das wrote:if kabar is 7" only and not more then 2" wide, then you can import it. There is a lot of confusing information regarding this issue. For example when I received my Kabar Fin in post office, box was sealed, nobody even opened it and nobody checked if it is 5" 7" or 9".

[ Image ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here is Fin and two aluminium trainers, which I made my self.

I do not collecting knives, I buy those knives which I think I may use. If I don't like a knife I will give it as a gift to some relatives or friend, not going to part with Fin, though

Indeed, alot of confusing information. I will try again with Tomar's.

"If I don't like a knife I will give it as a gift to some relatives or friend, not going to part with Fin, though[/quote]"

Good reason for being friend's with you then, Dost :D

Also what use would a combat knife have for you ? unless you are in the armed forces. Me a softies, would'nt hurt a fly even If I was armed to the teeth :mrgreen:

Regards

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:45 pm

I carry kabar only when traveling, in my past 10 years experience most dangerous encounters occurs when you on road, so it is better to have a bigger knife in case if your opponent will be armed with knife too. in normal daily life I'm quite safe with karambit.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

ltmuana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ltmuana » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Where do you get karambit? Did you import it?

-- Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:49 pm --

If anyone is willing to sell karambit or any other smaller, do PM me?? And if possible i would like to see a pics of it too..

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:18 pm

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... t=0#p82766

Check the thread. Google for more pics.

You can import it. Go through the knife posts and you'll find quite a few site names.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I got karambit
5.11 Tactical Series C.U.B. Master Knife Karambit 51006
from guy on ebay his name Justin [email protected]
not sure if he is on ebay now or not but he is reliable seller and only offer high quality knives.
unless you know the seller I would not recommend to buy any knife on ebay as there is a lot fake and filthy knives.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 am

Subal das wrote:if kabar is 7" only and not more then 2" wide, then you can import it. There is a lot of confusing information regarding this issue. For example when I received my Kabar Fin in post office, box was sealed, nobody even opened it and nobody checked if it is 5" 7" or 9".
The customs do not open packages, and mostly scan them. Typically they get opened at local offices for additional taxes/duties. For eg., in Maharashtra, they open it up at the city "octroi" collection office to figure out its worth.

BTW, importing a knife with more than 3" blade may not be a good idea if it is a high value item. For eg., I lost a 3.5" ordered from DealExtreme for apparent no reason. I would not import anything beyond a $50 value via normal post.

-Amarendra

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Do not Import through normal post or USPS or HK Post. Always use a reputed courier like Fed Ex, DHL, UPS etc. Costs more but ensures delivery.

Arianabhi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Arianabhi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm

is it possible to import a knife in luggage through airplane ? I wish to import the KA BAR black tanto tactical knife which is made in NY city ,Oleon only it is 8" in length and less than 2" in width but fedex india is charging very high - almost 200% more than the cost of knife excluding duty on parcel + they are not too sure of the local laws of NY city and NY state :?

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Arianabhi: Yes you can import this knife in an airplane. Just do not try to put it in the cabin luggage. Legally the import will not be a problem but the customs can be quite unpredictable and you might have to defend your stand if it comes under screening.

Do not try to go in for the "import" services of Fed Ex. Just get someone to courier it to you from the source(NY or wherever) and Fed Ex economy will cost at the most $ 80 if not less.

If the knife is up for sale in NY then I guess you do not have to worry about getting it couriered from there. It is the role of the destination customs to worry about the import.