Want to import Katana in luggage

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Kuro_Yaksha
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by Kuro_Yaksha » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:36 am

aarkay wrote:katanas can be imported by baggage or by air cargo.the duty for knives and katanas are 29%of the cost and shipping charges.for imports visit http://www.swordsoftheeast.com they will send u a quote for price and shipping through ups.try to get them using your international credit card.ups will get it cleared from customs and deliver it to you.you have to pay them the shipping charges and custom dutys at your door step
I want to keep a katana at my home as decoration, can you please explain a bit in detail of any procedures I would need to do so I can get it without any problem?

For Advertising mail webmaster
dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by dhruv67 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi. I just got back from a work trip to Japan. I was able to get an imitation Katana (zinc alloy blade) into India (Bangalore). The process is pretty simple - Just make sure that the shop you are purchasing it from provides a certificate that the blade is not made of steel (you cant buy steel blades, atleast thats what the shopkeeper and my interpreter told me). At the airport, you will have to meet the customs agent who will inspect the sword and test it by using a magnet and some kind of chemical solution.
Happy to answer any questions.