Want to import Katana in luggage

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Want to import Katana in luggage

Post by Subal das » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 am

it is old? do you know who made it?
do you know what is the weight of the sword without sheath
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:25 am

It is not so new now :) I have owned it for many years now. I bought it new. Yes, I know the person who made it and it was made for me.

I really do not know the exact weight as I never really weighed it but if you really need to know then I can weigh it.

It is lighter than an average Indian sword and is quite well balanced so you do not feel the weight of the blade when you are holding it. What I like the about it and other Katanas is the handle / grip. It really is unmatched as compared to many other sword styles that I know.

The people who originally designed the Katana surely knew what they were doing.

Efficient: is the word that comes to my mind when I think of it.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Rajat,

Amazing stuff! The design is definitely 'shin gunto', only the scabbard differs. You seem to have used it too! :lol:

Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 pm

I do not have any experience with katanas before, after reading this thread trying to educate my self about katanas and come across of some interesting materials

could you believe it made from aluminum??? :shock:

seems like Chines swords smiths making quite good katanas too.

here is interesting interview with Chines sword smith from Longquan region

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.co ... china.html

and here is the site were they are trade it

http://www.sinosword.com/Products/

amazing number of katanas and stiles
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Subal das wrote: could you believe it made from aluminum??? :shock:
Most probably it is a training sword made using an aluminium alloy. I doubt that aluminum alloys can otherwise be put to actual use as even the tough ones are too soft.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Rajat wrote:
Subal das wrote: could you believe it made from aluminum??? :shock:
Most probably it is a training sword made using an aluminium alloy. I doubt that aluminum alloys can otherwise be put to actual use as even the tough ones are too soft.
yes of course it is training blade
http://www.sinosword.com/ProductShow/?p ... aito-sword

any idea what is that Tamahagane blades which takes 25 days to make and even more to polish.

I'm thinking to import few tantos within importable limits 9"like that one
http://www.sinosword.com/ProductShow/?p ... tana-tanto
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Subal das wrote: any idea what is that Tamahagane blades which takes 25 days to make and even more to polish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamahagane#Tamahagane

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:50 am

well putting my 2 cents and experience here,i am a brown belt in kyokushin karate(a full contact style)

tamahagane blades made in japan by licensed swordsmiths takes a minimum of 6 months for the entire process.they are real sharp and can cut your body into two parts,good quality ones like these can cost starting at 4000 USD.another option is to buy a ready blade from a swordstore in japan.

an iaito is made of aluminium and is non sharpened used in kenjutsu and iaido practise good quality ones start at 300 USD and excellent ones for 500 USD.AFAIK importing an iaito shouldnt be much of a problem as it cant cause damage.

coming to the real deal best thing is ask a sensei(teacher) who owns one on how he got it and all the required process,as a martial arts practitioner i dont think it should be much of a problem.
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 am

but by law you cant import blade longer then 9 inch and wider then 2 inch, so katana out of question, but may be possible to import as souvenir unsharpened.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:11 pm

there are martial arts experts in india who have katana's from japan,from what i heard you need to be an experienced martial arts practitioner to get it.
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 pm

boris wrote:there are martial arts experts in india who have katana's from japan,from what i heard you need to be an experienced martial arts practitioner to get it.
Experience has got nothing to do with it. To own it officially you have to have a license or permit otherwise it will be deemed as illegal. Or do you mean only experienced martial art experts can get it from Japan?

Either way you take it as per the Indian law you have to have a permit.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm

boris, law is the same for everybody, or it should be, unless you are diplomat, politician ect
Knives that can be imported:

Please visit: Indian Arms Rule 1962, Schedule 1 - Category V http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... ule_I.html

“Arms other than fire-arms: Sharp-edged and deadly weapons, namely: swords (including sword-stick), daggers, bayonets, spears (including lances and javelins); battle-axes, knives (including kirpans a Khukries and other such weapons with blades longer than 9" or wider than 2" other than those designed for domestic, agricultural, scientific or industrial purpose, steel baton; "Zipo" and other such weapons called "life preserves"; machinery for making arms other than category II; and any other arms which the Central Government may notify under Sec. 4.”

i.e. in general, knives having blade length longer than 9 inch & wider than 2 inch are not allowed to be imported. You can easily go ahead if your chosen knife is below the above measurements.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Rajat wrote:
Subal das wrote: any idea what is that Tamahagane blades which takes 25 days to make and even more to polish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamahagane#Tamahagane
I've seen a very good documentary on National Geographic on this. The edited short vesion is available on youtube. Check it out.

Regards-Moin.

-- Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:29 pm --

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 pm

thanks, I got already DVD Wally Hayes-Katana, but do not have time to watch
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

samurai
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by samurai » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Katana wrote:I've had some katanas made here locally, copied from surrendered arms from WWII(Andamans), by our own sakligar families. They are the old swordsmiths to the Rajput clans. Should anyone want any made as per his requirement please PM me, i'll explain what can be done. However, point to be noted is that cost is major factor, transport should be handled by the buyer and all legal angles are the buyers responsibilities.
Dear Katana........I am a samurai from Mumbai . I have one original japanese iaito ( made in japan ) gifted by my teacher it is very expensive so I want 440 steel iaito sword good quality for my daily practice in mumbai , where can I get it ? I know one sikaligar family Mr. Jagadhish Sikaligar from Udaipur Rajasthan but they only make Damascus steel swords not 440 steel swords. and I had tried the swords from Dehradun also their quality is very poor swords are break from handle, no full tang all joints on Handle all decorative piece.