Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:55 pm

I have been waiting to get my hands on this one for sometime now and was finally able to do so today.

Excellent knife and just the thing to have on your belt when outdoors. Grumpy, I seriously think you need to consider one. Inder, get one NOW!

Excuse the pics as it was really bright today.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=43

Spyderco knives are reputed to be hair popping sharp straight from the factory and this is no exception.

The only thing I would have liked to see is a lanyard hole. The thought of it slipping from my fingers and falling into the drink is a bit of a worry.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Never thought I'd see an affordable Moran-he and Murad Sayen kind of led the American made damascus legion in the early 80's .Thanks for some great pics Mack The Knife.Good point, the lack of lanyard -I'm a firm believer in a wee bit of lanyard to hang onto.Is the handle rubberish? A little bit of checkering on the handle would have been in order.Let me see...about busting the bank!
What I am seriously looking for is a Pesh Kabz or a Kard.
Best
axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:45 am

Hi Asif,

See the Spyderco link above. Gives you all the details.

Just about to leave for a days fishing and it's on my belt in horizontal mode. That's the beauty of the Tek Lok. 5 positions and in its present one I don't have to worry about it peeking past the shirt. One can also remove the Tek Lok and use it as a neck knife if one is so inclined.

You can test drive it on the 28th.

Mack The Knife

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:59 am

Rustom:

You must be quite rich/or have really fine tastes.

Those knives are expensive!!!

Enjoy you fishing, I'll enjoy the pictures.

Satpal

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Looks very nice,Mack The Knife. Are they available with wooden handle's?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:00 am

Satpal,

The price you see on that link is the manufacturers MSRP ($99.99)

You won't have to shop around much to find retailers who sell at discounted prices. Try New Graham Knives for one.

Rich I am not. I merely do away with lot of lifes luxuries and put the savings towards my outdoor activities.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:10 am

No, Vikram. No wooden handles for this knife and I am glad that is so.

It has exactly the materials I was looking for in an outdoor knife - from VG10 blade steel to Kydex sheath. It's a no nonsense work knife

I wore it horizontally from 4:45 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., yesterday, in the horizontal position and it never felt uncomfortable or interefered with my movements.

I would whole heartedly recommend this product.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:31 pm

Wot d 'ell, Inder, If you have any spare moolah floating around, get me one! New Graham Knives- There , I just succumbed to temptation!
Mack The Knife, no heavy Graphite rod now for a while...it was a toss up for a shimano or this!!
Best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 pm

Actually, Inder, Change of plan, see PM.
Axx

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:38 am

Mack The Knife, just love the Kydex sheath... did you say working knife? This fella looks like a fighter to me...

GOOD BUY !!!!

Oh, referring to being rich, for guys like us I dont think it matters how much money we have. If I were a begger, and I mean every word, I would still eat less and save some coins to buy a knife, or an old airgun. If nothing else old copies of Amrican Rifleman or Shooters' Bible.... whatever that keeps the spirit alive.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:47 pm

Tanmay, you worded my sentiments just so. Satpal probably read that bit in the link about Moran made knives costing upwards of five figures and thought I was old Croceus himself. ;)

The knife would need a lot of getting used to to use as a fighter as I don't think the handle helps with quick grip changes and the lack of a guard could result in the user cutting himself very badly if the hand were to slip onto the blade.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Mack The Knife,

Nice knife and photos.I have never been particularly fond of knives untill now.There was an article in the newspaper a couple of days back about a fellow burning to death in his car after it hit a truck and caught fire.The fellow could not get out of his seat belt that got stuck,probaly as a result of the impact.A knife would have saved his life as he or somebody else would have been able to cut him out of his seat.Always have a pistol or revolver stuck in my waistband when travelling.Will add a knife also ( though not necessarily in the waistband).Have seen a Muella (hope I spelled it right) for Rs 1500.How's it and is the price right?

It's like the smaller knife at serial no.1 on this link http://www.mmuela.com/eng/img.asp?imagen=g71.jpg&id=3

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:11 pm

Sukhpret,
While I leave the advice on blades to Mack The Knife, I suggest a box cutter and spring loaded center punch as essential in any car glove box-the box cutter for cutting seat belts and, with the advent of central locking jamming in flooded streets,[ the occupants drowning or asphyxating] a spring loaded center punch can be used to shatter the toughened window glass.Total cost about 200 rupees.
Best
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:39 pm

penpusher,

Heed Asif's suggestion if you want a seat belt cutter.

The knife you mention is probably made from 440 B or C. Holds a decent edge and is easy to resharpen but it also blunts relatively quickly. To start with Muela knives aren't hair popping sharp straight out of the box and in an emergency this will be the crucial factor. By hair popping sharp, I mean that it should cut through hair without running the edge along the skin and the longer the blade can maintain such sharpness the better - enter super steels such as VG10, CPM-S30V, etc..

Muela do knives with a slightly better spec blade steel - it should mention Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium or some such thing on the blade. Get one of those. These are also a lot sharper out of the box.

I am not sure if seat belts have wire strands running through them. If that happens to be the case, the belt cutter will handle the task faster and more safely than the Muela. (I must experiment on seat belts or look up the net for relevant information).

I am a bit hesitant to recommend a fixed blade knife to anyone as an every day carry due to the times we live in. However, if you were outdoors you then have a valid reason for having one on your person. However, I would recommend a good pocket folder such as the Spyderco Manix.

Look at it this way.....you just want one good knife that you can keep on you at almost all times without drawing undue attention. Hence, it makes a lot of sense to spend more ($120.00 instead of $30.00) and get something really good that will not let you down in an emergency.

Asif, don't go putting me on a pedestal. A love of knives does not translate to expertise.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Rusty, seat belts are mostly made of carbon fibre, and the ones I've come across (thus far) don't have any wire woven in... carbon fibre is stronger than steel wire... so I guess it would serve no purpose having steel wire woven in...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein