Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 am

TC,

It's the Bird and Trout knife you see in the link provided by Abhijeet.

I know I brought it up but could we stop talking about that particular Randall. I am sure you will understand....

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

Post by penpusher » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:31 pm

TC,

Photos :? The grip is black in colour http://www.victorinoxindia.com/products ... se_all.htm

penpusher

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 pm

penpusher, checked the site. Its similar to the hunter I have. A very good buy. I am sure you will be satisfied.

Cheers !!!!

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:54 pm

Sorry Mack The Knife... I understand. In fact after collecting more than 50 knives over 30 years from all over the world and having lost a few I really really underdstand the feelings...

Cheer up

TC

PS : Can you tell me how to get repicas of old german and english bayonets that are made by some of these indian companies. While there is one Mumbai dealer listed in our forum, most of the others I found on the net are based in Dehra Dun and other parts of Uttaranchal. I found they only sell in bulk and take only overseas orders.. Any ideas ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:26 pm

TC,

I have had no interaction with these Indian replica making companies but have heard the exact same as what you say above, barring the bit about the bayonets. That's news to me.

Mack The Knife

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:05 am

Check the site of the Mumbai dealer listed in our forum. He is seling bayonets and German army daggers !!!!

TC

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:47 am

Mack The Knife,

Going back to the Bill Moran, Great looking knife there. So, from what I read here and other places online, VG10 is the newest best thing in knife materials, huh ? I have a cheapo Buck knife that has lasted me three Deer and several Pheasat hunting trips. This time, in trying to break the pelvic bone of the deer, I might have broken the edge of the knife and I think its time for an upgrade and the Bill Moran Spyderco seems like the knife I'll get before next season.

One more question, what is the "retention device" on this one ? How well does it stay in the sheath ? and how easily does it come out ? From what I can tell, the little bit of an indent at the edge of the sheath "grabs" the handle untill you shove it out ? right ? I'll keep an eye out on the online sites for a deal on this one.

Congrats once again.

Lastly, I'm sure others have noticed, in going thru the Randall knives website, I requested them to send me a Catalog. Something to drool over... There's a small charge for international orders.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Sharieff,

The Moran makes a good skinner and cutter but I am not sure how it will hold up against thick bone. For that, I would go for a thicker blade. This one is 3" at the handle and then tapers towards the point.

I would go for a minimum of 4mm thickness and full tang and then use a heavish log that fits in your hand to whack the spine to break bone. See pictures of my Hattori 2004 Limited Edition. Something like this would be better. This too is in VG10, though the normal prouction versions came in AUS 8 if I am not mistaken.

I would take Mark and/or Grumpy's advice on this and don't be surprised if they recommend something very ordinary. They know what they are talking about. My Moran was bought mre as a fishing knife rather than anything else.

No, VG10 isn't the latest or greatest but it's good steel. Something tells me that the Moran will go through skinning three deer and still retain a shaving edge. I have no way to check this out though.

The sheath merely snaps around the handle very securely but it does not require much effort to withdraw the knife. I have packed my camera and knife for my trip to Delhi this evening, otherwise I would have taken some pics to illustrate the point. I don't recall seeing any detent.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

This fellow seems to sell individual pieces also:-
http://www.ancientarms.biz/servlet/StoreFront .

If anybody has any experience of dealing with him or ahs knowledge of his products,do tell.

This is a good site for information on Damascus steel :- http://home.att.net/~moltenmuse/index.htm

penpusher

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks penpusher. The good ones are pretty expensive but will check out this seller...

TC