Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point

Post by TC » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:38 am

The Victorinox Kirpan controversy.

This goes back about five years. The matter appeared in the Press but difficult to find a ready link now. Will go through the archives and let you guys know..

Anyway I know the incident. It so happened that Victorinox was eager to enter the Indian market in a big way about five years ago realising the demand for quality knives...
First it entered into a contract with the Armed Forces for supply of special tools to some units and commemorative knives in general with markings in Hindi.
Vic also realised that Sikhs, specially the urban population, was a major target as they carry kirpans but have a taste for better products. Production of a special Kirpan started in Switzerland. It had a large wide blade with script from the Guru Granth Sahib etched on the blade along with a face of Guru Govind Singh. The sheath was part leather part synthetic...
Initially this was a hit among Sikhs outside India but here several Gurdwaras raised their objection to the use of religious scriptures on kirpans by a foreign company.
Some religious leaders even alleged that no consent was sought from the comunity. Some even raised objection to the use of a Guru's face on a commercial product....A case was also moved in court in Delhi.

Within a week, Vic imposed a ban on the sale of the large kirpan and recalled stocks from all shops across India. After about six months it was relaunched. this time it only had the familiar symbol (which looks like a trident with a circular base) stitched on the sheath...This one came in a shiny sheath made of fabric.
The small kirpan never got into any controversy.

So long

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:39 am

TC

Its on BBC website, pretty interesting..

Rgds

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:04 am

True but one can learn more
No denying that. Which knife mag/s would you recommend?

Thanks for posting about the Kirpan controversy.

Mack The Knife

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:43 am

Mack The Knife no need to thank.. its my job to deliver news.

I dont subscribe to any knife magazine or read any one in particular....Blade is a good one. Then there is on on fighting knives..
Even American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo, SWAT etc carry regular features on knives..
There is no shortage of reading material... get a few and narrow down your choice...

So long

TC

PS : Every time I read your mail my heart cries for the lost Randall !!!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks, TC. Whether you like it or not. :mrgreen:
I keep hearing about this magazine called Blade, so will keep my eyes open for one.

I don't have much interest in fighting knives though I would love to add bayonets to my collection.

As for the Randall...sh1t happens. Got to move on.

Mack The Knife

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:08 pm

ya, there is no steel wire in the seat belt... did check out mine atleast... maybe it differs from one manufacturer to another...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Mack The Knife

Had no idea about Randall knives.Just checked their site.Very expensive to say the least but very nice at the same time.

Which one did you have?At least I can't afford to buy more than one. Ever.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:07 pm

penpusher,

It was a Model 8.

No idea what it cost then (80's) as it was a gift from an uncle living in the U.S..

Actually, their prices aren't that steep if you start looking at custom made knife prices. Now those are guaranteed to make your eyes water.

It is always better to have quality over quantity. Stick to this principle rather than follow the path I took.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:14 pm

Mack The Knife,

Sometimes a thing maybe expensive but it becomes invaluable because of the sentiments attached with it.

Just bought a Victorinox Trailmaster. Has a locking blade and also a saw, so should do nicely for cutting through belts or the like.Seems to be cheap compared to what good knives cost. Definitely sitting at the foot of the table in this matter :lol:

penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:18 pm

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php

I don't know if these are custom knives but the prices are certainly eye watering.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 pm

Congrats penpusher! Just because they are relatively cheaper does not mean they aren't good or useful. I have carried a Vic/SAK of some description or the other since I was eleven or twelve - almost on a daily basis.

You could say Randalls are semi-custom to custom knives. They certainly have a waiting period and order book that's impressive.

Initially the price may be eye watering but it really isn't that bad compared to the competition. I assume you are refering to knives in the $250.00 to $350.00 range? That's chicken feed in the custom knife world.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:38 pm

I assume you are refering to knives in the $250.00 to $350.00 range? That's chicken feed in the custom knife world.
In that case,I am a chicken :lol:

penpusher

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:38 am

penpusher, whats the colour of the grip of the trailmaster. Is it similar to the photos I posted ? (I hope you had seen them).

Mack The Knife is right. Price does not always determine the quality of a knife. And I believe all Vics are GOOD.

Congrats, now you have a belt cutter.

So long

TC

penpusher";p="8374 wrote: Mack The Knife,

Sometimes a thing maybe expensive but it becomes invaluable because of the sentiments attached with it.

Just bought a Victorinox Trailmaster. Has a locking blade and also a saw, so should do nicely for cutting through belts or the like.Seems to be cheap compared to what good knives cost. Definitely sitting at the foot of the table in this matter :lol:

penpusher
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:47 am

Mack The Knife, I dont have a ready database on Randall but was the Model 8 one of the bowies supplied to the USMC for a brief period in the 70s?

I have a very good article on Randall tucked away somewhere in my mini library.. will have to look for it.

I dont have a scanner at home. Or else I could have provided this forum with some interesting stuff. You see I stay hooked to the net at least four hours a day but I still believe internet is the not the best source of information when you want to go deeper into a subject.

So long

TC

Mack The Knife Bana";p="8353 wrote: penpusher,

It was a Model 8.

No idea what it cost then (80's) as it was a gift from an uncle living in the U.S..

Actually, their prices aren't that steep if you start looking at custom made knife prices. Now those are guaranteed to make your eyes water.

It is always better to have quality over quantity. Stick to this principle rather than follow the path I took.

Mack The Knife
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:54 am

The model 8 is listed at US$ 280/-... sweet piece of hardware...
Historical note: Francis G. Powers, U-2 pilot, was carrying a model 8 when he was shot down over Russia in May, 1960.
More at http://www.randallknives.com.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein