What are some of the popular rimmed intermediate & rifle rounds that are still available & affordable today?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

What are some of the popular rimmed intermediate & rifle rounds that are still available & affordable today?

Post by KDS991213 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 am

Pretty much what the title says. I know that 38 & 44 special + 357 & 44 magnum are really popular and affordable to this day (or they should be, depending on your situation) but i want to know more about the bigger & stronger rounds. Can anyone point me towards the correct direction. Thanks in advance.

For Advertising mail webmaster
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: What are some of the popular rimmed intermediate & rifle rounds that are still available & affordable today?

Post by veeveeaar » Sat May 29, 2021 12:11 pm

.22LR, 3006,315 are the only practical rounds available in India .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: What are some of the popular rimmed intermediate & rifle rounds that are still available & affordable today?

Post by timmy » Sat May 29, 2021 12:21 pm

For rifles, the first two that come to mind are 30-30 and 45-70. Both are also used in Europe. There are so many guns chambered in 30-30 that there will always be a demand for it, even if it's just to have a box around for some old rifle in the corner. 7.62 x 54r Is fairly popular, but it is mainly for surplus rifles. This is somewhat of a puzzle, because it is at least as capable as .308/7.62 x 51 NATO. Another round that is available is 375 Winchester, but I would be reluctant to call it popular.

For revolvers, 480 Ruger, 460 S&W Magnum, and 500 S&W are available for those who love big boomers. 45 Colt is still somewhat popular, including in rifles, too. 41 Magnum might be fading away by now, but 327 Federal Magnum is still hanging around. Also, 44-40 might be available because of "Cowboy Action" shooters.

As noted, I doubt much of this is available in India, although I wouldn't be surprised if 30-30 could be found.

I would also add that it seems that hardly any ammunition is really affordable now.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat May 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Hands down the .22 LR if rimfires are also in the mix.

All good options mentioned above by Timmy...for India .315 and 30-30 would be the only viable option. You may also find some vintage 1895's in .405 Win floating around , it was Kenneth Anderson's favourite rifle with which he shot many man eaters.

Apart from .22LR my vote goes to one of the oldest and most popular , the 45-70.

It is available in single shots costing a couple hundred dollars to affordable lever actions to high end double rifles.

Wide range of bullet selection from deer sized game to African dangerous game. The Leverevolution ammo https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/leverevolution#!/ also makes it quite usable out to 250 yards