Silencers

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 am

Hi Grumpy,

Wow thanks for the detailed post. I had heard that metallic ping on some which were advertised on the web pages like serbu or phoenix which if i recall correctly were integral ones developed on the Ruger Mark 1 and 2, with bull barrel looks.

I have the Delisle in an old issuse of GUNS DIGEST it was shown with a 25 m group and with cut away section of the inside.

In the USA you get this ammo that uses a 60 grain bullet for lowering the sound, but it looks really strange. Anyway here there is no actual use for one except for flash value. I have seen an army guy twenty or so years ago with a brno that had a threaded end and he frankly told me it was for his rabbit thwacking outings. Ahhhh the good old days.

Now I have a really quite air rifle but the fit to the barrel and the alignment is always tricky without threads.

regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Silencers

Post by Grumpy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Dev, I used to have one of those Ruger MKI semi-auto pistols with the integral silencer - I believe that I mentioned it once before in another thread. The barrel was turned down and a series of holes had been drilled into it with the `silencer` - actually just a plain expansion chamber - slid over the top and screwed onto the receiver. It was very quiet with subsonic ammunition but completely refused to cycle and had to be manually cycled....unless you used supersonic ammo.....which defeated the noise somewhat. It did produce a distinct ringing `ping`which, as I said, is typically of thinwall expansion chamber type moderators.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Okay once i heard a wet cell version that in barely five inches would reduce our KF rounds to a muted woof sound.

Design being very similar to what the vietcong used on their pistols. Materials used were much simpler.

Regards,

Dev

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Dev,
Just remember to cut the threads on a lathe and not with the plumbers thread cutter-90 degree alignment is what you want!
Wet ones are the way to go...
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:16 pm

I canna bring myself to cut threads on my QB so I will put up with the noise and enjoy it as it is. Just had Rajesh work on the trigger, man its like a match trigger now. This guy is really so good.

Regards,

Dev
eljefe";p="5168 wrote: Dev,
Just remember to cut the threads on a lathe and not with the plumbers thread cutter-90 degree alignment is what you want!
Wet ones are the way to go...
Axx

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Silencers

Post by Grumpy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:21 pm

I think that you`re very wise Dev. If the barrel is tapered you also have to turn the muzzle end down so that it is parallel before you cut the 1/2" x 20 thread. Needs to be done on a lathe......which is why I pay someone else to do it.