30-06 ammo and equivalents

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

30-06 ammo and equivalents

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Is 30-06 NPB? I saw it advertised on the OFB site some time ago and I know some people who have old 30-06 grandfather pieces. But find the ammo hard to come by. I have this crazy relation who is dying to get his hands on an M1 Garand, possibly after seeing these beautiful rifles in civilian hands(Mostly in UP and Bihar)

Any indications on cost and availibilty of 30-06 ammo? My only encounter with the ammo in the commercial context was at a shop who was selling Czech made 30-06 at 145bucks per shot- that was years ago.

Also, my uncle has a beautiful Mauser KAR98 rifle (Standard 1941 Nazi issue) in excellent condition with only 18 rounds of Dominion 7.92m/8mm. Is 7.92mm ammo available anywhere? Its a pity to see the mint rifle sitting in a corner collecting dust. The only time he fired it was in the air to chase off some thugs who were trying to damage his car. The only time I fired it was at a tree trunk section, side by side with a 303. Wish I had more ammo to blow for a good comparison shoot.

And now the Japanese equivalent. My uncle a WW2 freak and also a high govt official (Thus well placed) recently picked up an Arisaka 38th Year rifle from a villager in the Battle of Kohima area. No ammo unfortunately. Any leads to legal 6.5mmx50mm would be appreciated

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: 30-06 ammo and equivalents

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Cottage cgese,

30-06 is a NPB.However all semi-aitomatic rifles,which would include M1 Garand in semi-auto version,are Prohibited and license for these can only be issued by the Ministry of Home,GOI.A no. of M1 Garand's converted to bolt action and sold to Army officers/Jawans (for Rs 125/-) have found their way into the civilian market and are NP category weapons.

The IOF manufactures 30-06 ammo http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php. The IOF has also designed a 30-06 rifle and as per the Annual Report of the MOD 2004-2005,it has been submitted to the Ministry of Home for approval ( wonder what that means).No word about it after that.

7.92 Mauser ammo is available from time to time.You will have to check with the dealers on that.

6.5x50 ammo is not available in the country.What ever is available will be very old.Were not the Ariskas made in 7.7?

penpusher

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:13 pm

Ministry of Home Affairs comes into picture becasue it decides / decided the "bore" business for civilians.....Which bore to prohibit and which one to spare :x
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Sujay,

I don't think that this is the reason. 30-06 is a NPB.It seems that the babus at MHA decide if a weapon should be sold to the civilians or not to ensure that they do not get hold of any 'deadly' firearm.That is the reason why the MHA has issued instructions to the IOF not to sell their 12 ga pump action gun to individual licensee's. There were rumors that the MHA did not want the IOF .22 rev to be sold in the civilian market as a .22 rev had been used by Manu Sharma in killing Jessica Lall.What a joke.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 pm

penpusher";p="7481 wrote:Cottage cgese,

30-06 is a NPB.However all semi-aitomatic rifles,which would include M1 Garand in semi-auto version,are Prohibited and license for these can only be issued by the Ministry of Home,GOI.A no. of M1 Garand's converted to bolt action and sold to Army officers/Jawans (for Rs 125/-) have found their way into the civilian market and are NP category weapons.

The IOF manufactures 30-06 ammo http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php. The IOF has also designed a 30-06 rifle and as per the Annual Report of the MOD 2004-2005,it has been submitted to the Ministry of Home for approval ( wonder what that means).No word about it after that.

7.92 Mauser ammo is available from time to time.You will have to check with the dealers on that.

6.5x50 ammo is not available in the country.What ever is available will be very old.Were not the Ariskas made in 7.7?

penpusher
Oh well, the kingdom of babus work on a logic that defies logic. To talk of severly restricting semi-automatic rifles and still allow and selectively issue licences for countless M-1 carbines (I've lost count of those I've encountered in civilian hands) and lots of other odd balls is the typical idiocy that afflicts anyone who passes the prelims-mains combo.
By that logic, since .357 is regarded as NPB, I might as well spend some money and import a Desert Eagle.... why, how about a Desert Eagle in .50AE? The great Arms Act doesn't specify that ammo does it?
Its so very saddening to see such ignorant fops actually decide and rule over things that they simply do not understand or grasp.

Pity about the Mauser ammo. There's another mint Chilean Mauser in 7mm here. Again no ammo.
Also another Mauser in .404 Jefferys - No ammo but nevertheless a monster that would petrify anything with that massive hole.

The Arisaka Typer 99 is in 7.7mm, while the Arisaka 38th Year is a shortened and simplified 99, rebored for 6.5mm. The reboring took place in the worst possible time- in the middle of a war.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 pm

penpusher";p="7483 wrote:Sujay,

I don't think that this is the reason. 30-06 is a NPB.It seems that the babus at MHA decide if a weapon should be sold to the civilians or not to ensure that they do not get hold of any 'deadly' firearm.That is the reason why the MHA has issued instructions to the IOF not to sell their 12 ga pump action gun to individual licensee's. There were rumors that the MHA did not want the IOF .22 rev to be sold in the civilian market as a .22 rev had been used by Manu Sharma in killing Jessica Lall.What a joke.

penpusher
Haha.... The babus really shine in proving themselves to be total dorks. haha. That bit about .22s and the Jessica Lall! Had me rolling. Wasn't there also some kind of a directive just after the Mumbai blasts , that AK-56 or whatever in the hell that is or any thing resembling such, should not be depicted in movies? can you believe it? These are the idiots and sub-morons who actually run our country. And how?...by simple virtue of passing a stupid written exam and an interview.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:09 pm

cottage chese";p="7491 wrote: and lots of other odd balls is the typical idiocy that afflicts anyone who passes the prelims-mains combo.
We share your outrage but hurling blanket insults won't do any good .

Also maybe members here having relatives in such service may feel slighted.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm

penpusher";p="7483 wrote: There were rumors that the MHA did not want the IOF .22 rev to be sold in the civilian market as a .22 rev had been used by Manu Sharma in killing Jessica Lall.What a joke.
penpusher
That's it . This is the end.

We've had it
:!: :evil:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:04 am

Sujay";p="7494 wrote:
cottage chese";p="7491 wrote: and lots of other odd balls is the typical idiocy that afflicts anyone who passes the prelims-mains combo.
We share your outrage but hurling blanket insults won't do any good .

Also maybe members here having relatives in such service may feel slighted.
Sorry if my comments get under the skin. I hope I don't get banned in my first couple of days in the board! I apologise to those who genuinely don't deserve smut. Quite a few individuals do have my unquestioned respect, but there are far too many who don't. I dont have to explain why.
My approach is this: Just as a Babu may insinuate that any civilian puke applying for a licence is a potential criminal upto no good, preparing to go to war against the state, so will I assume any babu I meet , to be a bonehead, until he or she proves otherwise. This works for me and my opinion on quite a few people have changed for the better as a result.

It may perhaps come as a surprise that I come from an IPS/IAS family. Two generations and you can make out the difference. The newer lot are total jerks. I did toy with the civils for a couple of years in my youth, saw first hand how flawed the whole charade was. No wonder respectable and competent administrators are so far and few.

Sorry, nevertheless, for the flak.

Heyyyy... noticed how this is going OT?
Last edited by cottage cheese on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:09 am

Cottage chese,

If either of the two rifles is for sale at a sane price do let me know.Would love to be in Shillong again.Beautiful city.You are lucky to be living there.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

penpusher";p="7506 wrote:Cottage chese,

If either of the two rifles is for sale at a sane price do let me know.Would love to be in Shillong again.Beautiful city.You are lucky to be living there.

penpusher
Hi penpusher,
I'll definitely let you know. I dont know about the KAR98, but I may be able to get some decision on the Chilean Mauser pretty soon. The .404 has been abused pretty much so, I would advise against any attempt to procure it.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Cottage Cheese,
Read a while ago that the Chilean mauser actions were used for customising many superb rifles that went under the hammer for $$$$ -in the US ofcourse.
Sad to hear this constant epiphany of absolutely restoreable , fine old rifles, condemned to a life of clunkers.I'd love to give the 7mm a shot-but again, the ammo? more miss than hit ;)
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:16 pm

eljefe";p="7674 wrote:Cottage Cheese,
Read a while ago that the Chilean mauser actions were used for customising many superb rifles that went under the hammer for $$$$ -in the US ofcourse.
Sad to hear this constant epiphany of absolutely restoreable , fine old rifles, condemned to a life of clunkers.I'd love to give the 7mm a shot-but again, the ammo? more miss than hit ;)
Best
Axx
Hey eljefe, pity that so many gems that elsewhere would be valued very high, are simply brushed aside here. You can imagine the valuable stuff so many paople own without realizing it. I have a good friend here who is not exactly a gun guy(His father was) but inherited a pair of English East India Co. Duelling Flintlock pistols! It sits horribly varnished in the mantle piece.

The chilean mauser has been restocked (Very well) and the finish on the metal is excellent though old (it looks honest as such)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:19 am

CC,

My dad is a retired senior civil servant and I spent a good many years trying to get into IPS. Failed to make it and here I am on the fair lands of Albion.If I get a chance, I would happily get into the service than work for an MNC, making big dineros. As you rightly said, there are good ones and then the bad ones.Quite a few of my friends and my ex-roomies are into IAS in UP,Assam etc.

Good shooting-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:24 am

eljefe";p="7674 wrote:
Axx
Asif,

The Chilean Mauser was based on the 1895 action and not the superior 1898. It is a structurally weaker action than the 98 and it would not be a good candidate for a custom rifle. Among the preferred South American actions are the Brazilian of 1908, the Argentinian of 1909 and the Small Ring Mexican Mauser of 1910.

Incidentally the Chilean MAusers fire the 7x57 MAuser round for which ammunition IS available in India though I would recommend shooting them with care especially is the ammunition is recent and loaded in Europe, where factories put out hot loads. Though the ammunition selection is not as critical as in the later 8x57 because of it's J and S bore variations, the 1895s are not a stronmg design and if you;re planning to buy the rifle, ask questions from the experts on NitroExpress.com or Accuratereloading and then decide.

Cheers!