Freeing breech end of air rifle barrel

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Freeing breech end of air rifle barrel

Post by full_circle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 am

Q1.jpg
Q2.jpg
Part B is ofcourse the barrel of a break barrel spring piston air-rifle, and Part A is, well, Part A. My understanding is that they are separate pieces, somehow (compression fit / solder) joined together so that Part A envelopes the breech end of the barrel in a very tight fit.

Questions: How can the breech end of the barrel be freed from part A?

Why: I am hoping to get a "donor" barrel from the broken IHP that I have, and dont want to lose the length inside part A (plus machining if I have to cut it away).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Freeing breech end of air rifle barrel

Post by snIPer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 am

Lock part A in a vice - wrap a cloth on the barrel and then use a plumbers wrench to turn it - that will release it.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanxx snIPer... Is it "just" screwed on? wow!

Considering its more than a decade old, and hasnt received any attention, any preparation before grip-and-twist?
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Not screwed on actually but just a pressed fit if im not mistaken.
No preparations other than what i mentioned - be ready to accept a few scratches.
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

there are air guns where barrel is pressed hard and also a locking iron pin is inserted across barrel and breach part to hold that position tightly. normally it can be identified by filing the breech part.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanxx Basu,

The air-rifle I have is a .177 IHP... 35 or 25 dunno, but as far as i recall, it looks pretty similar from the breech end to the pics posted by fantumfan and mundaire...

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 359#p71548 12th photo (airgun on the left)
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1010#p13115 11th photo

do you know if it has the pin? also, which part is filed? is it the breech face?

sawbones
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sawbones » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Sometimes the cross bolt that is in the breech or the sleeve around the bolt is the lock for the barrel

sawbones
The impossible just takes more time

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm

dear full_circle,
there are guns like tommy where the barrel is pressed hard only.when i went for changing the barrel ,the gunsmith had shown me that pin ,after fixing the new barrel ,remains hidden just after crossbolt towards muzzle end. had he not spoken to me ,i would not have come to know.once the bluing is done it is really really difficult to identify. only after rubbing with sand paper a shade metal to metal difference can be understood.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanxx Basu...

If I understand correctly, you got the barrel changed on an airgun. Can you please share how much did it cost? Just so I can compare what is better, buying a new barrel or trashing the broken airgun for spareparts. :)